Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is 1/4" glass directional?

I've done lots of projects with glass and had it cut at my local glass shop.
I am putting an antique medicine cabinet in a house I'm restoring and I
needed new glass shelves for it. There was a new girl at the counter. When
I gave her my measurements, I told her that I wanted 1/4" glass and my
measurements were 3 1/8" by 15. Then she wanted to know what was width and
what was length. I told her that as far as I knew, she had all the
measurements she needed. With some eye rolling on her part, she took the
order and later in the day, I got a call to pick it up and it was fine. I'm
thinking she was just new or maybe a little nagging voice in my head says
*maybe* it makes a difference in what is length or width? I doubt it, but
I'm throwing it out here anyway.

Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perry Templeton wrote:
I've done lots of projects with glass and had it cut at my local glass shop.
I am putting an antique medicine cabinet in a house I'm restoring and I
needed new glass shelves for it. There was a new girl at the counter. When
I gave her my measurements, I told her that I wanted 1/4" glass and my
measurements were 3 1/8" by 15. Then she wanted to know what was width and
what was length. I told her that as far as I knew, she had all the
measurements she needed. With some eye rolling on her part, she took the
order and later in the day, I got a call to pick it up and it was fine. I'm
thinking she was just new or maybe a little nagging voice in my head says
*maybe* it makes a difference in what is length or width? I doubt it, but
I'm throwing it out here anyway.

Perry

You just encountered the educated populance we now have coming out of
our 21st century school system. Their brain cells are mostly rock &
roll musical notes

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
.. .
I've done lots of projects with glass and had it cut at my local glass
shop. I am putting an antique medicine cabinet in a house I'm restoring
and I needed new glass shelves for it. There was a new girl at the
counter. When I gave her my measurements, I told her that I wanted 1/4"
glass and my measurements were 3 1/8" by 15. Then she wanted to know what
was width and what was length. I told her that as far as I knew, she had
all the measurements she needed. With some eye rolling on her part, she
took the order and later in the day, I got a call to pick it up and it was
fine.

Maybe she want to wrap it in paper in the same direction as the width?
Shame you did not need two pieces. You could have ordered a 3 x 15 and a 15
x 3. That would have confused the hell out of her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
.. .
I've done lots of projects with glass and had it cut at my local glass
shop. I am putting an antique medicine cabinet in a house I'm restoring
and I needed new glass shelves for it. There was a new girl at the
counter. When I gave her my measurements, I told her that I wanted 1/4"
glass and my measurements were 3 1/8" by 15. Then she wanted to know what
was width and what was length. I told her that as far as I knew, she had
all the measurements she needed. With some eye rolling on her part, she
took the order and later in the day, I got a call to pick it up and it was
fine. I'm thinking she was just new or maybe a little nagging voice in my
head says *maybe* it makes a difference in what is length or width? I
doubt it, but I'm throwing it out here anyway.

Perry

The owners most likely taught her to take measurements that way.. "There
was a new girl at the counter" Your own words I'm sure she will figure it
out with a little experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They all were sanded and smoothed. I seriously doubt if that is the reason
for the bimbette's question, though. I really think she was a "front desk"
idjut and not much more.
Perry
. com...

Perry Templeton wrote:
I've done lots of projects with glass and had it cut at my local glass
shop. I am putting an antique medicine cabinet in a house I'm restoring
and I needed new glass shelves for it. There was a new girl at the
counter. When I gave her my measurements, I told her that I wanted 1/4"
glass and my measurements were 3 1/8" by 15. Then she wanted to know
what was width and what was length. I told her that as far as I knew, she
had all the measurements she needed. With some eye rolling on her part,
she took the order and later in the day, I got a call to pick it up and
it was fine. I'm thinking she was just new or maybe a little nagging
voice in my head says *maybe* it makes a difference in what is length or
width? I doubt it, but I'm throwing it out here anyway.

Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

It sounds like a teenage girl at the cleaners, had to use a calculator to
figure out the change from a $20.00 bill. Counting change up from the amount
of the charges manually was taught in school when I was young, because no
cash register of the day could figure it out and calculators were huge and
expensive (circ. 1950s) and people didn't want to stand around while you did
math on a piece of paper.

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
.. .
I've done lots of projects with glass and had it cut at my local glass
shop. I am putting an antique medicine cabinet in a house I'm restoring
and I needed new glass shelves for it. There was a new girl at the
counter. When I gave her my measurements, I told her that I wanted 1/4"
glass and my measurements were 3 1/8" by 15. Then she wanted to know what
was width and what was length. I told her that as far as I knew, she had
all the measurements she needed. With some eye rolling on her part, she
took the order and later in the day, I got a call to pick it up and it was
fine. I'm thinking she was just new or maybe a little nagging voice in my
head says *maybe* it makes a difference in what is length or width? I
doubt it, but I'm throwing it out here anyway.

Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glass can have a grain in it from the manufacturing process although I
doubt most people would ever notice it. You do take this into
consideration in stained glass work but that is usually a different
type of glass.

I grind and polish telescope mirrors and in the process have learned a
fair bit about glass. To the best of my knowledge, properly annealed
and polished plate glass has no grain or direction. In fact the
purpose of the annealing process is to remove strain (there's usually
some residual strain but it's trivial).

My wife did some stained glass work and Perry is correct, some stained
glass is made with ripples or ridges or surface texture. When cutting
that kind of glass one must consider the direction of the surface
texture. But for ordinary plate glass it doesn't matter which edge of
the big sheet you cut the strip from....

Best -- Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:
It sounds like a teenage girl at the cleaners, had to use a
calculator to figure out the change from a $20.00 bill. Counting
change up from the amount of the charges manually was taught in
school when I was young, because no cash register of the day could
figure it out and calculators were huge and expensive (circ. 1950s)
and people didn't want to stand around while you did math on a piece
of paper.

For your next cleaning bill of, say, $17.52, give them $21.37.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, gosh...I LOVE to fu** with cashiers to manipulate change so I can get
quarters back. I get the dumbest looks..they try to give me back the
"extra" and I smugly say..."no, it's right...figure it out". Amid sighing
and sarcastic cash register button punching....I usually quietly comment
what the change will be, they look at me like I have two heads and then when
voila, the register says the same thing...some of them don't know where to
put themselves.
Perry
"HeyBub" wrote in message
EXT wrote:
It sounds like a teenage girl at the cleaners, had to use a
calculator to figure out the change from a $20.00 bill. Counting
change up from the amount of the charges manually was taught in
school when I was young, because no cash register of the day could
figure it out and calculators were huge and expensive (circ. 1950s)
and people didn't want to stand around while you did math on a piece
of paper.

For your next cleaning bill of, say, $17.52, give them $21.37.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Perry Templeton wrote:
I've done lots of projects with glass and had it cut at my local glass shop.
I am putting an antique medicine cabinet in a house I'm restoring and I
needed new glass shelves for it. There was a new girl at the counter. When
I gave her my measurements, I told her that I wanted 1/4" glass and my
measurements were 3 1/8" by 15. Then she wanted to know what was width and
what was length. I told her that as far as I knew, she had all the
measurements she needed. With some eye rolling on her part, she took the
order and later in the day, I got a call to pick it up and it was fine. I'm
thinking she was just new or maybe a little nagging voice in my head says
*maybe* it makes a difference in what is length or width? I doubt it, but
I'm throwing it out here anyway.

Perry

Maybe when you first gave her your "measurements" she didn't realize
you were talking about glass.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Perry Templeton wrote:
I've done lots of projects with glass and had it cut at my local glass shop.
I am putting an antique medicine cabinet in a house I'm restoring and I
needed new glass shelves for it. There was a new girl at the counter. When
I gave her my measurements, I told her that I wanted 1/4" glass and my
measurements were 3 1/8" by 15. Then she wanted to know what was width and
what was length. I told her that as far as I knew, she had all the
measurements she needed. With some eye rolling on her part, she took the
order and later in the day, I got a call to pick it up and it was fine. I'm
thinking she was just new or maybe a little nagging voice in my head says
*maybe* it makes a difference in what is length or width? I doubt it, but
I'm throwing it out here anyway.

Perry

Tell her you need a piece of 15" thick glass, 3 1/8" by 1/4".

Renovating old house stasya Home Ownership 16 June 14th 06 04:36 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Replacing Coffee Table Glass nuttie_cat Home Repair 6 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM