Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snowblower model number 6709

Hello,

I got a snowblower with the house I bought recently. The snowblower is
dusty, needs cleaning up, but I also wanted to find the manual for it
on the web to make sure I check everything properly prior to starting
it up this upcoming winter.

Unfortunately - there is not a single brand name on it. The only thing
I can find is a plate with model number and serial number engraved into
it.

It says that the model number is 6709

It is red (as most of them are). It is a single stage snowblower and it
is big and somewhat heavy.

I think it is either Ariens, Toro or Craftsman

Does ANYONE have a snowblower with a little plate saying that model
number is 6709?

I tried searching the net and the manuafacturers websites to no avail.

Anyone with a red snowblower - please, please take a look at the model
number and let me know if you have a 6709 on it. It would help me a
lot.

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

djogon wrote:
I got a snowblower (and) ... I also wanted to find the manual for it
... (but) there is not a single brand name on it. The only thing
I can find is a plate with model number and serial number engraved into
it.

It says that the model number is 6709

It is red (as most of them are). ...

Well, Deere are green for at least one other data point...

I think it is either Ariens, Toro or Craftsman

I'm quite sure if it were any of the "name" brands (even including
Craftsman) it would have a brand ID on it so I'd not suspect any of
those as being likely unless it is ancient and/or been repainted that
has covered up manufacturer id.

Best I recall, Ariens is orange, Craftsman can be almost anything.

Anyone with a red snowblower - please, please take a look at the model
number and let me know if you have a 6709 on it. It would help me a
lot.

I'm guessing if it's such a no-name there won't be anybody claiming it
proudly on the web anyway, but guess you'll not know unless you ask...

What about engine manufacturer/model/SN? That could be at least a clue
as to who/what it _isn't_ ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

djogon wrote:

[...]

Can you post a photo of it somewhere?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

I do not think it's a no-name judgiung by the guy who had it before me.
The only issue is that is seems that the throtle handle got broken and
that is where the plate with the name/model would have been. The plate
is gone now.

Nothing on the engine - only the model # and serial #

I will post pictures alt you all know. Maybe someone will recognise it.

Thanks!

dpb wrote:
djogon wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK - here are the pictures

http://www.softwareriver.com/snowblower/

It will open a list of picture files - just click on any to open it.
The first two are close-ups of the plate with model/sn on it. The rest
are different angles and sides so that someone might identify it.

Can anyone identify it?

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
djogon wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Curisous ... what prompted you to think it is that old? There is a bit
of dust on it as I did not get around to clean it, but what did in
general prompt you to think that?

Change the oil? I thought this would be a 2-stroke engine??? Do you see
an oil pan somewhere on this snowblower?

Thanks.

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 07:55:47 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

http://www.softwareriver.com/snowblower/

It will open a list of picture files - just click on any to open it.
The first two are close-ups of the plate with model/sn on it. The rest
are different angles and sides so that someone might identify it.

Can anyone identify it?

There is really no reason to identify that thing. It's probably 30, or
maybe even 40+ years old. If you need more than a spark plug or a belt
for it, it's toast. If it runs, use it. Change the oil, and grease
whatever speaks, if it makes you feel better.

CWM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also ... there are two big handles at the bottom. One marked with a big
letter A in a circle and another one on the oposite side matked as B in
a circle.

I have no idea what are these for. If I could find the manufacturer - I
may be able to find a manual for it.

Handle marked (B) can be seen on this picture
http://www.softwareriver.com/snowblo...ower%20012.jpg
and here
http://www.softwareriver.com/snowblo...ower%20011.jpg
bottom right corner.

I think you can see both here
http://www.softwareriver.com/snowblo...ower%20010.jpg

What are these for?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 07:55:47 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

There is really no reason to identify that thing. It's probably 30, or
maybe even 40+ years old. If you need more than a spark plug or a belt
for it, it's toast. If it runs, use it. Change the oil, and grease
whatever speaks, if it makes you feel better.

I agree...it definitely is quite old and if you did find out
manufacturer they're not going to have anything on something that old
anyway. The "IF YOU WRITE..." tag is telling of age -- that has
50's-vintage overtones to me, maybe 60's.

As for conjectures, I'd venture a very early Craftsman-like scenario of
a supplier assembling pieces for a retailer or maybe a regional
small-equipment manufacturer who decided to give snowblowers a shot for
a winter product.

Only other shot at all would be to see if there are any identifying
marks on castings, etc., but it's all for naught anyway except purely
academic exercise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aha ... " The "IF YOU WRITE..." tag is telling of age" - THANK YOU that
makes a lot of sence actually now that I think about it.

This would be a 2-stroke machine most likely right? As someone
suggested - I could grease it, change the spark plug and see if it
runs. If it does I am good.

dpb wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 07:55:47 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I doubt very much if this is a 2 stroke engine, The absence of an "oil pan"
tells me nothing. Most of these engines have a small sump in the bottom of
the engine. Look for a drain plug somewhere in the bottom side. It looks
like an old Briggs and Stratton to me.
The "A" probably means augar. This engages and disengages the augar. Don't
know what "B" means however there is usually a lever that acts as a clutch.
It may mean brake.
The external drive shaft for the augar and the lack of an impeller also
dates that unit to somewhere in the mid 50's.

ups.com...

dpb wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 07:55:47 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks a lot Charlie - this is good advice. I will clean it up, change
the oil and spark plug and just fire it up see if it runs.

I will figure out the levers by using them if the thing actually works.
Had I known it was this old - I wouldn't have bought it from the
previous home owner.

Thanks again .

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 10:13:09 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

Curisous ... what prompted you to think it is that old?

It's very obvious just by looking at it. That thing could very well be
from the 1960's. It's A-N-C-I-E-N-T. Really. I'm not kidding.

There is a bit
of dust on it as I did not get around to clean it, but what did in
general prompt you to think that?

Change the oil? I thought this would be a 2-stroke engine??? Do you see
an oil pan somewhere on this snowblower?

That is a typical old 4-stroke horizontal shaft engine from a very
long time ago. There is no doubt about it. They don't have a separate
"pan" like an automobile engine. You will likely find a very short
cylinder protruding up at an angle from the base of the motor
crankcase casting somewhere. It will have a screw-in plug that has two
pins sticking up that you can use to turn it by leveraging it with a
screw driver, or else it will have a thumb-tab. That's where you fill
the oil. You fill it to where it is almost coming out of that short
filler tube. In rare cases, the oil sump and transmission on
self-propelled blowers may be conjoined and the cap will have a
dipstick built in to it, in which case you would use that to detemine
when the oil is at the proper level.

To drain the oil, there will be a screw with a square head on it, also
located on the side near the bottom. I just looked and you can see it
in the picture "snowblower 012.jpg. It's at the bottom, below the
carb.

CWM

Thanks.

wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

http://www.softwareriver.com/snowblower/

It will open a list of picture files - just click on any to open it.
The first two are close-ups of the plate with model/sn on it. The rest
are different angles and sides so that someone might identify it.

Can anyone identify it?

There is really no reason to identify that thing. It's probably 30, or
maybe even 40+ years old. If you need more than a spark plug or a belt
for it, it's toast. If it runs, use it. Change the oil, and grease
whatever speaks, if it makes you feel better.

CWM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks John - I think that the concensus now is that this is a 4 stroke
engine.

John Lawrence wrote:
I doubt very much if this is a 2 stroke engine, The absence of an "oil pan"
tells me nothing. Most of these engines have a small sump in the bottom of
the engine. Look for a drain plug somewhere in the bottom side. It looks
like an old Briggs and Stratton to me.
The "A" probably means augar. This engages and disengages the augar. Don't
know what "B" means however there is usually a lever that acts as a clutch.
It may mean brake.
The external drive shaft for the augar and the lack of an impeller also
dates that unit to somewhere in the mid 50's.

ups.com...

dpb wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 07:55:47 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have a look at this site. I'm sure that this guy could identify what you
have. He even offers to feature old blowers on his site.
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowhistory.html

oups.com...

John Lawrence wrote:
I doubt very much if this is a 2 stroke engine, The absence of an "oil
pan"
tells me nothing. Most of these engines have a small sump in the bottom
of
the engine. Look for a drain plug somewhere in the bottom side. It looks
like an old Briggs and Stratton to me.
The "A" probably means augar. This engages and disengages the augar.
Don't
know what "B" means however there is usually a lever that acts as a
clutch.
It may mean brake.
The external drive shaft for the augar and the lack of an impeller also
dates that unit to somewhere in the mid 50's.

ups.com...

dpb wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 07:55:47 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks John - I will ask this guy ih he knows. By the looks of it - if
he doesn't know ... nobody will...

Thanks again.

John Lawrence wrote:
Have a look at this site. I'm sure that this guy could identify what you
have. He even offers to feature old blowers on his site.
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowhistory.html

oups.com...

John Lawrence wrote:
I doubt very much if this is a 2 stroke engine, The absence of an "oil
pan"
tells me nothing. Most of these engines have a small sump in the bottom
of
the engine. Look for a drain plug somewhere in the bottom side. It looks
like an old Briggs and Stratton to me.
The "A" probably means augar. This engages and disengages the augar.
Don't
know what "B" means however there is usually a lever that acts as a
clutch.
It may mean brake.
The external drive shaft for the augar and the lack of an impeller also
dates that unit to somewhere in the mid 50's.

ups.com...

dpb wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 07:55:47 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

djogon wrote:

[...]

OK, now that I've seen the photos, and to retain my reputation as a
smartass, I can tell you that ISN'T a snowblower.

It's a snowthrower, because there's no "blower" part there. The snow
just gets moved to the center of the two augers and then gets "flung" up
through the chute by the auger's center section.

They don't move snow anywhere near as far as "blower" models.

I owned a similar one sold by Sears back in the early 60s; It looked to
be pretty much the same design as yours except the wheels didn't even
have rubber tires, they were just heavy gauge sheet steel discs with
tabs bent alternately to either side around their circumference.

But, IIRC mine had larger "throwing pieces" between the augers than what
appear in your photos. I wunner if yours originally had paddles fastened
between the augers which got lost. Maybe another poster can comment on
that. Anyway, you'll know pretty fast if you get it running and very
little snow gets flung out the chute the first time you need to use it.

I switched over to a 1966 Airens which I bought cheap around 1970 from a
guy who'd stripped the spark plug hole and never got around to fixing
it. I slapped a new head and gasket on it and it's run fine since then.
The only work I've had to do on it was replace the recoil starter handle
when it snapped in two last year (I sprang for a new rope too.) and have
my son weld some new steel "skids" onto it a few years ago when the
original ones got ground away.

I call it "The Widowmaker" cause it's got zero safety features on it.
Even the ends of the auger housing are D shaped so nothing guards the
forward ends of the augers, which makes it great for "twisting" it into
a snowbank.

Good luck with it!

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Seriously good photos. The engine appears to be Tecumseh. I can't
brand the rest of the machine for you.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
djogon wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a four stroke. Look for a square plug, at the base of the
engine. I've worked on enough of these kind of thing.

I'm thinking an old Jacobsen, but I'm also probably mistaken.

No doubt in my mind, it's a four stroke.

For the oil fill, look for a plug about two inches up from the base.
The plug will be about an inch diameter, made of plastic, and have two
rods you can put a screw driver between the two small rods that stick
up from the oil cap.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

ups.com...

wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

http://www.softwareriver.com/snowblower/

It will open a list of picture files - just click on any to open

it.
The first two are close-ups of the plate with model/sn on it. The

rest
are different angles and sides so that someone might identify it.

Can anyone identify it?

There is really no reason to identify that thing. It's probably 30,

or
maybe even 40+ years old. If you need more than a spark plug or a

belt
for it, it's toast. If it runs, use it. Change the oil, and grease
whatever speaks, if it makes you feel better.

CWM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Looks like about a 7 HP Tecumseh. As i wrote in an earlier post, it's
a four stroke.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"djogon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Aha ... " The "IF YOU WRITE..." tag is telling of age" - THANK YOU
that
makes a lot of sence actually now that I think about it.

This would be a 2-stroke machine most likely right? As someone
suggested - I could grease it, change the spark plug and see if it
runs. If it does I am good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks EVERYONE - seriously good advice here. I will hopefully get this
running. At least now I know what to look for - a great project for a
few rainy weekends before the snow season starts ...