Posted to alt.home.repair
djogon djogon is offline

Default Snowblower model number 6709

Thanks John - I think that the concensus now is that this is a 4 stroke
engine.

John Lawrence wrote:
I doubt very much if this is a 2 stroke engine, The absence of an "oil pan"
tells me nothing. Most of these engines have a small sump in the bottom of
the engine. Look for a drain plug somewhere in the bottom side. It looks
like an old Briggs and Stratton to me.
The "A" probably means augar. This engages and disengages the augar. Don't
know what "B" means however there is usually a lever that acts as a clutch.
It may mean brake.
The external drive shaft for the augar and the lack of an impeller also
dates that unit to somewhere in the mid 50's.

"djogon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Aha ... " The "IF YOU WRITE..." tag is telling of age" - THANK YOU that
makes a lot of sence actually now that I think about it.

This would be a 2-stroke machine most likely right? As someone
suggested - I could grease it, change the spark plug and see if it
runs. If it does I am good.

dpb wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 07:55:47 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

There is really no reason to identify that thing. It's probably 30, or
maybe even 40+ years old. If you need more than a spark plug or a belt
for it, it's toast. If it runs, use it. Change the oil, and grease
whatever speaks, if it makes you feel better.

I agree...it definitely is quite old and if you did find out
manufacturer they're not going to have anything on something that old
anyway. The "IF YOU WRITE..." tag is telling of age -- that has
50's-vintage overtones to me, maybe 60's.

As for conjectures, I'd venture a very early Craftsman-like scenario of
a supplier assembling pieces for a retailer or maybe a regional
small-equipment manufacturer who decided to give snowblowers a shot for
a winter product.

Only other shot at all would be to see if there are any identifying
marks on castings, etc., but it's all for naught anyway except purely
academic exercise.