Posted to alt.home.repair
djogon djogon is offline

Default Snowblower model number 6709

Thanks a lot Charlie - this is good advice. I will clean it up, change
the oil and spark plug and just fire it up see if it runs.

I will figure out the levers by using them if the thing actually works.
Had I known it was this old - I wouldn't have bought it from the
previous home owner.

Thanks again .

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 10:13:09 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

Curisous ... what prompted you to think it is that old?

It's very obvious just by looking at it. That thing could very well be
from the 1960's. It's A-N-C-I-E-N-T. Really. I'm not kidding.

There is a bit
of dust on it as I did not get around to clean it, but what did in
general prompt you to think that?

Change the oil? I thought this would be a 2-stroke engine??? Do you see
an oil pan somewhere on this snowblower?

That is a typical old 4-stroke horizontal shaft engine from a very
long time ago. There is no doubt about it. They don't have a separate
"pan" like an automobile engine. You will likely find a very short
cylinder protruding up at an angle from the base of the motor
crankcase casting somewhere. It will have a screw-in plug that has two
pins sticking up that you can use to turn it by leveraging it with a
screw driver, or else it will have a thumb-tab. That's where you fill
the oil. You fill it to where it is almost coming out of that short
filler tube. In rare cases, the oil sump and transmission on
self-propelled blowers may be conjoined and the cap will have a
dipstick built in to it, in which case you would use that to detemine
when the oil is at the proper level.

To drain the oil, there will be a screw with a square head on it, also
located on the side near the bottom. I just looked and you can see it
in the picture "snowblower 012.jpg. It's at the bottom, below the
carb.

CWM

Thanks.

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 07:55:47 -0700, "djogon"
wrote:

OK - here are the pictures

http://www.softwareriver.com/snowblower/

It will open a list of picture files - just click on any to open it.
The first two are close-ups of the plate with model/sn on it. The rest
are different angles and sides so that someone might identify it.

Can anyone identify it?

There is really no reason to identify that thing. It's probably 30, or
maybe even 40+ years old. If you need more than a spark plug or a belt
for it, it's toast. If it runs, use it. Change the oil, and grease
whatever speaks, if it makes you feel better.

CWM