Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Bought B&D 586 Tapgun, what is it?

I got some tools left behind after a woman died, that her husband had
left behind 10 years ago when he died. Both were in their 80's. He
made furniture, at least as a hobby. There was some nice furniture
there that they were selling, that he made, that he and his wife had
used for, I think, decades.

Two were a matching quarter inch drill and something I thought was a
drill, but is labeled Black & Decker Model 586 Tapgun.

Now that I have the "tapgun" running, it only turns counter-clockwise
and it seems like a normal, low speed 1/4 inch drill, but it has a 1
inch push-back spring on the shaft just behind the chuck and
sometimes, like if I grab hold of the chuck, it seems to be moving
forwards and backwards, "tapping" the work.

I've wanted a hammer drill since I saw they made them (because they
make them), but I've never actually seen one run in hammer mode. Is
this a pre-cursor, since it only seems to tap and not hammer, or is it
just that this is B&D's name, and hammer drill is generic. Web
searches find nothing for me.

Why does it only turn counter-clockwise? And what is this especially
good for! I like it because it's old, but it really should do
something.

(Both have matching steel cases and 3-prong plugs, and this one was
broken. The trigger wouldn't pull in, but last night I fixed that
(only needed lubrication, but I think I had to take it apart to reach
the right spot))

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin wil know...

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
(snip)

Two were a matching quarter inch drill and something I thought was a
drill, but is labeled Black & Decker Model 586 Tapgun.

It's a special drill for tapping (cutting threads). B&D used to market a
set of three drills for metal workers: holgun (drilling), tapgun
(tapping), and scrugun (driving the fastener). Looks like you got two of
the three.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

I picked up Porter Cable's version at an auction some years back. It's
not useful on every project, but it's very useful when you need to tap
a lot of holes quickly. Did you ever tap wood? It works great,
especially in the nice dense tight-grained woods. That spring loaded
nose is the automatic part. It rotates in (clockwise) when you push
down and it reverses when you pull up on the tool. First time I tried
it I was _sure_ that I'd be snapping taps all over the place, but nope,
easy to use to boot.

Have fun with it

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in
ups.com:

mm wrote:
[...]

Ricooooooo!

You hang out here too?! Lot more silent than on alt.b.c.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 16 Aug 2006 14:27:09 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

No, I've never tapped wood. Is this so wood screws, or maybe lag
screws, will go in easier? Why tap wood?

especially in the nice dense tight-grained woods. That spring loaded
nose is the automatic part. It rotates in (clockwise) when you push
down and it reverses when you pull up on the tool. First time I tried
it I was _sure_ that I'd be snapping taps all over the place, but nope,
easy to use to boot.

So I'd have to have taps, too. They weren't included... well, maybe
they were. There's a a cardboard box and a tool box and I haven't
looked closely through everything yet.

Have fun with it

I think I will. Thanks to you and Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I picked up Porter Cable's version at an auction some years back. It's
not useful on every project, but it's very useful when you need to tap
a lot of holes quickly. Did you ever tap wood? It works great,

No, I've never tapped wood. Is this so wood screws, or maybe lag
screws, will go in easier? Why tap wood?

I tap the wood if there's a part that might be taken off and
reassembled more than a few times and I use machine screws.

especially in the nice dense tight-grained woods. That spring loaded
nose is the automatic part. It rotates in (clockwise) when you push
down and it reverses when you pull up on the tool. First time I tried
it I was _sure_ that I'd be snapping taps all over the place, but nope,
easy to use to boot.

So I'd have to have taps, too. They weren't included... well, maybe
they were. There's a a cardboard box and a tool box and I haven't
looked closely through everything yet.

Well, if the guy had a automatic tapping gun there should be some taps
flating around. If you can't find them, you can often find boxes of
taps at garage sales and the like.

Have fun with it

I think I will. Thanks to you and Mike.

You're welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 17 Aug 2006 05:36:52 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

mm wrote:

No, I've never tapped wood. Is this so wood screws, or maybe lag
screws, will go in easier? Why tap wood?

I tap the wood if there's a part that might be taken off and
reassembled more than a few times and I use machine screws.

Well, in case I can't find them in what I got from the guy's
granddaughter, I looked on the web and the first clear hits on "tap
wood" were from Harbor Freight of all places and they have 1" bottom
taps for 6 dollars and 1/2" for 4 dollars. So these aren't hard to
get! I don't remember seeing them before.

On the same page was listed

" 4 PC. LEFT HAND HIGH SPEED STEEL DRILL BIT SET
4 PC. LEFT HAND HIGH SPEED STEEL DRILL BIT SET

Remove bolts or studs easily when the head breaks off. Eliminate the
need to bore out and re-tap the hole. Simply drill a hole in the
broken stud, insert a screw extractor, turn the extractor with a tap
wrench and back them out. Made from high speed steel. Only for use
with reversible drills.

* Includes 4 left-handed drill bits: 1/8'', 3/16'', 1/4'', and
3/8''

ITEM 38180-4VGA $5.99"

By Drill Master. I don't think Vermont American has more than 2 of
these sizes, and although I'm sure the quality is low here, the price
is cheap. Just two days ago, I had to get a screw out of the tapgun
itself. I had already used liquid wrench and I couldn't use a nut
cracker as someone suggeested in anotther thread, because the "nut"
was part of the drill. I was going to use a left-handed drill, but
tried an impact wrench with a flat screwdriver bit first. Of course
that risked breaking the piece of the drill case, and driling wouldn't
have.

Well, if the guy had a automatic tapping gun there should be some taps
flating around. If you can't find them, you can often find boxes of
taps at garage sales and the like.

I always look at garage sales, but around here, not too many tools.
Just baby clothes!

Have fun with it

I think I will. Thanks to you and Mike.

You're welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, if the guy had a automatic tapping gun there should be some taps
flating around. If you can't find them, you can often find boxes of
taps at garage sales and the like.

Harbor Freight also sells taps and matching wood handled things, which
they don't call dies, but which they say "Make sure-holding rods from
wood dowels. Comes with matching tap for perfectly sized holes.
Hardwood handle. " These run from 20 to 24 dollars depeding on size.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, if the guy had a automatic tapping gun there should be some taps
flating around. If you can't find them, you can often find boxes of
taps at garage sales and the like.

Harbor Freight also sells taps and matching wood handled things, which
they don't call dies, but which they say "Make sure-holding rods from
wood dowels. Comes with matching tap for perfectly sized holes.
Hardwood handle. " These run from 20 to 24 dollars depeding on size.

That's a different animal. The gun you have is a metalworking tool.
I'm just saying you can use your gun with the regular metal taps in
wood and get surprisingly good results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the motion back and forth that you mentioned is required with ordinary taps
in
mild steel. With a standard (right hand) thread, the tap rotates maybe a
half turn clockwise, then maybe a quarter turn ccw. This sequence is
repeated as long as the trigger is pressed.
The backward rotation breaks the chips that are curling out of the cutting
edges. On gummy materials this keeps the chips small so they will fall out
of the gullets rather than jamming up. The same technique needs to be used
when manually tapping these ductile materials.

Bill

"mm" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, if the guy had a automatic tapping gun there should be some taps
flating around. If you can't find them, you can often find boxes of
taps at garage sales and the like.

Harbor Freight also sells taps and matching wood handled things, which
they don't call dies, but which they say "Make sure-holding rods from
wood dowels. Comes with matching tap for perfectly sized holes.
Hardwood handle. " These run from 20 to 24 dollars depeding on size.

That's a different animal. The gun you have is a metalworking tool.
I'm just saying you can use your gun with the regular metal taps in
wood and get surprisingly good results.

He can also likely Ebay the tapgun which he seems to have no use for and
make a good deal of money if he describes it properly so metalworkers
can find it. Heck, I'd give $50 + $9 for Priority Mail shipping for it.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:50:05 -0700, Mike Paulsen
wrote:

mm wrote:
(snip)

Two were a matching quarter inch drill and something I thought was a
drill, but is labeled Black & Decker Model 586 Tapgun.

It's a special drill for tapping (cutting threads). B&D used to market a
set of three drills for metal workers: holgun (drilling), tapgun
(tapping), and scrugun (driving the fastener). Looks like you got two of
the three.

Yes indeed! The other one is labelled...well the plate is scuffed but
it starts with an H so I guess it is a holgun, good for making holes,
I gather.

I indirectly learned of a guy who was short of money, but needed tools
to pursue a (just-starting, I guess) career in word working. I gave
him a modern double insultate but one speed sabre saw, and a beautiful
but old all steel case Skil saw, by Skil, complete with a wooden carry
case (although I think that was from an even older tool.) and I was
going to give him this quarter inch drill, the holgun.

When I realized it matched the other, I took it home instead of
bringing it to his apartment, and now that they match, I hate to break
the set. If he ends up making some sorts of furniture, he'd be able
to use the tapgun more than I am likely to, so I could give him both
of them.... but I like having all these tools. Once I have a tool, I
always need it...it's amazing but true. Should I give him the holgun,
the tapgun, or both?

I'd almost rather buy him a new quarter inch drill than give him the
old one. And I figure I'll be dead in 40 more years, and I can give
my tools to someone worthy then. (I"m 59.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:50:05 -0700, Mike Paulsen
wrote:

mm wrote:
(snip)

[...]

The tapgun has almost no application in woodworking, it is a 99.9%
metalworking tool. It would be most applicable to tasks such as taping
holes in sheet metal electrical cabinets for mounting components,
basically any application with through hole tapping in light to medium
gauge metal.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:49:48 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

wrote:

Well, if the guy had a automatic tapping gun there should be some taps
flating around. If you can't find them, you can often find boxes of
taps at garage sales and the like.

Harbor Freight also sells taps and matching wood handled things, which
they don't call dies, but which they say "Make sure-holding rods from
wood dowels. Comes with matching tap for perfectly sized holes.
Hardwood handle. " These run from 20 to 24 dollars depeding on size.

That's a different animal. The gun you have is a metalworking tool.
I'm just saying you can use your gun with the regular metal taps in
wood and get surprisingly good results.

Right! Mike mentioned metal, but then I started thinking about wood.
so it will do metal and wood. I have metal taps, and might use them
more often now that I have this thing.

He can also likely Ebay the tapgun which he seems to have no use for and
make a good deal of money if he describes it properly so metalworkers
can find it. Heck, I'd give $50 + $9 for Priority Mail shipping for it.

Well. what if I kept 55 dollars and only spent 4 dollars for low-cost
shipping? You've gone your whole life without this, why the rush now?
:-)

No, either I give it to that guy, who doesn't do metal working, or I
keep it. I'm sure I'll find at least one use for it, or more likely,
the use will find me. There will be plenty time after I die to sell
it.

I'm really a packrat and it's bad. My townhouse is full; I don't want
to move; and if I put something in one of the mini-storage lockers,
it's almost like sending it to Siberia. I forget I even have it.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:10:36 GMT, "bill allemann"
wrote:

the motion back and forth that you mentioned is required with ordinary taps
in
mild steel. With a standard (right hand) thread, the tap rotates maybe a
half turn clockwise, then maybe a quarter turn ccw. This sequence is
repeated as long as the trigger is pressed.
The backward rotation breaks the chips that are curling out of the cutting
edges. On gummy materials this keeps the chips small so they will fall out
of the gullets rather than jamming up. The same technique needs to be used
when manually tapping these ductile materials.

Wow, this thing sounds wonderful.

Bill

P.S. the other, probably bigger reason, RicodJour, that I started
concentrating on tapping wood is that the guy I got this from was a
furniture maker, and all the other tools seemed to center around wood.
I wish I could have met the guy, but he died at least 10 years ago.

"mm" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm 36 and a "reformed pack rat". I give serious consideration to how
long it will actually be before I use something and what it would cost
to just buy new then. That doesn't mean I don't still hang onto stuff
and indeed I frequently pull out stuff I've put aside like five years
ago for a project today. I also have a couple "warehouses" comprising
about 500+ square feet.

BTW, the Priority Mail flat rate boxes are the most economical shipping
I've found for a lot of smaller / heavier things. Anything that will fit
in the supplied box, up to 70# anywhere in the country in 2-3 days for
like $8.10.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mm, Tim wrote:
Hi there, B&D is a tapgun that means you drill a hole according to the tap
size, (see chart) drill and tap chart, and instead of turning the tap by hand,
you put it in machine, use cutting oil, squeeze trigger, apply light pressure
forward, the tap will turn CC, when pull back machine, tap will turn
CCW...depends of material used, and status of tap, you may move back and forth
until the drilled hole is completed with thread.....it is a great tool...treat
it with great care....I use it in electric panels build

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-138243-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mm, Steve B. wrote:
What you have is a drill that is for putting a tap into and is designed to go
clockwise when you push the tap into a hole, then reverse direction going
counter clockwise to bring the tap out of the hole.
It is the Same as a Milwaukee 8600_440-1001 Tapper Gun, Fein GWP 10 3/8 In.
Tapper, Bosch Tapping Gun 1462.

they are hard to come by not many people even need one, but they are very
handy when you need to tap a lot of holes with a small tap

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-138243-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 11:44:06 AM UTC-5, Steve B. wrote:
replying to mm, Steve B. wrote:

What you have is a drill that is for putting a tap into and is designed to go
clockwise when you push the tap into a hole, then reverse direction going
counter clockwise to bring the tap out of the hole.
It is the Same as a Milwaukee 8600_440-1001 Tapper Gun, Fein GWP 10 3/8 In.
Tapper, Bosch Tapping Gun 1462.

they are hard to come by not many people even need one, but they are very
handy when you need to tap a lot of holes with a small tap

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-138243-.htm

You think mm has been hanging around for the last 10 1/2 years
awaiting your answer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mm, Steve B. wrote:

What you have is a drill that is for putting a tap into and is designed to go
clockwise when you push the tap into a hole, then reverse direction going
counter clockwise to bring the tap out of the hole.
It is the Same as a Milwaukee 8600_440-1001 Tapper Gun, Fein GWP 10 3/8 In.
Tapper, Bosch Tapping Gun 1462.

they are hard to come by not many people even need one, but they are very
handy when you need to tap a lot of holes with a small tap

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-138243-.htm

You think mm has been hanging around for the last 10 1/2 years
awaiting your answer?

I got on The Home Owners Hub and noticed that there are NO dates on the Usenet posts that are on the site. I don't think the folks who've been lured there have a clue that it's click bait. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Bait Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not click bait. I enjoyed learning from it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:22:12 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 2:19:54 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 11:44:06 AM UTC-5, Steve B. wrote:
replying to mm, Steve B. wrote:

snip

You think mm has been hanging around for the last 10 1/2 years
awaiting your answer?

Steve B may have passed away. From my local area. mm is still here,
posting even this day. He publicly changed his nym here some years
ago.

I got on The Home Owners Hub and noticed that there are NO dates on the Usenet posts that are on the site. I don't think the folks who've been lured there have a clue that it's click bait. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Bait Monster

Home Groaner's Hub is a click bait site. They use an NNTP server
ported to use Usenet threads, act as if it is their very on material,
basically claming (acting) ownership of material posted on Usenet.
People find the site, those not knowing Usenet, by searching online
and end up there thinking it is a fountain of youth or something.

As to the poster "Thomas" -- he is a victim of such deception. Red
Green got his postings filtered, so I followed suit. Even Red Green
hasn't been around for years. Not sure what happened to him. He sure
was funny though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 14:48:37 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

Not click bait. I enjoyed learning from it.

Home Groaner's Hub is CLICK BAIT. Try using Usenet with an NNTP
reader. Learn the difference.