Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Metal halide lights questions (bought some)

Ignoramus8325 wrote:
I bought two used metal halide lights. They are about 1x2x0.5 feet in
size and take 250 watt bulbs.

I tried one of the two I bought (the second has a problem, likely due
to shipping, that I hope we can easily rectify with the seller). I
laid ot on the floor and directed the light at the ceiling.

My first impression is that, first, they take quite a while to warm up
(not a problem),

The nature of the beast.

and second, they are not that bright. I would say
that one 250W MH light makes about as much light as do my eight 4ft
fluorescent lights. Maybe it is more of an expectations issue and even
that is great.

Not too far off. It might get a little better, but I wonder if you may
not have the highest quality lamp and therefore less than ideal efficiency.
Also note that it does take a long time to warm up fully and produce full
light. Also the color of the light may make it appear to be less bright
than it really is. However what good is light you don't really see? :-)

Secondly, the color from the bulb that was there, leaves much to be
desired, it is kind of "cold".

Nature of the beast.

I am curious if I can buy some other
250W MH bulbs that produce a more lively color.

I don't think so.

Internally, all they have is a multitap transformer and a capacitor.

Any thoughts on this?

What more do you want? :-)

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Ignoramus8325 wrote:
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:31:34 GMT, Joseph Meehan
wrote:
Ignoramus8325 wrote:
I bought two used metal halide lights. They are about 1x2x0.5 feet in
size and take 250 watt bulbs.

I tried one of the two I bought (the second has a problem, likely
due to shipping, that I hope we can easily rectify with the
seller). I laid ot on the floor and directed the light at the
ceiling.

My first impression is that, first, they take quite a while to warm
up (not a problem),

The nature of the beast.

I see.

and second, they are not that bright. I would say
that one 250W MH light makes about as much light as do my eight 4ft
fluorescent lights. Maybe it is more of an expectations issue and
even that is great.

Not too far off. It might get a little better, but I wonder if
you may not have the highest quality lamp and therefore less than
ideal efficiency. Also note that it does take a long time to warm up
fully and produce full light. Also the color of the light may make
it appear to be less bright than it really is. However what good is
light you don't really see? :-)

I see. If that can be improved by using a different bulb, I am open to
suggestions.

Bulbs and lamps are pretty well matched. I doubt if you can buy a
different bulb that will make much difference. I could be wrong.

Secondly, the color from the bulb that was there, leaves much to be
desired, it is kind of "cold".

Nature of the beast.

OK.

Any thoughts on this?

What more do you want? :-)

What you said was very helpful, thanks.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein

In article , Joseph
Meehan wrote:
Ignoramus8325 wrote:
I bought two used metal halide lights. They are about 1x2x0.5 feet in
size and take 250 watt bulbs.

I tried one of the two I bought (the second has a problem, likely due
to shipping, that I hope we can easily rectify with the seller). I
laid ot on the floor and directed the light at the ceiling.

My first impression is that, first, they take quite a while to warm up
(not a problem),

The nature of the beast.

and second, they are not that bright. I would say
that one 250W MH light makes about as much light as do my eight 4ft
fluorescent lights. Maybe it is more of an expectations issue and even
that is great.

Eight 4-foot fluorescents is usually nominally 256-320 watts, and
usually with some inverse relationship within this class between wattage
and efficiency in the 32-40 watt-per-4-foot-bulb range.

Eight 4-foot fluorescents of nominal wattage 32 to 40 watts apiece would
normally in good conditions produce close to as much light as a 250 watt
metal halide. Check out the lumen light output figures!

- Don Klipstein )