Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Bought B&D 586 Tapgun, what is it?

mm wrote:

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:49:48 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

RicodJour wrote:

mm wrote:
On 17 Aug 2006 05:36:52 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Well, if the guy had a automatic tapping gun there should be some taps
flating around. If you can't find them, you can often find boxes of
taps at garage sales and the like.

Harbor Freight also sells taps and matching wood handled things, which
they don't call dies, but which they say "Make sure-holding rods from
wood dowels. Comes with matching tap for perfectly sized holes.
Hardwood handle. " These run from 20 to 24 dollars depeding on size.

That's a different animal. The gun you have is a metalworking tool.
I'm just saying you can use your gun with the regular metal taps in
wood and get surprisingly good results.

Right! Mike mentioned metal, but then I started thinking about wood.
so it will do metal and wood. I have metal taps, and might use them
more often now that I have this thing.

He can also likely Ebay the tapgun which he seems to have no use for and
make a good deal of money if he describes it properly so metalworkers
can find it. Heck, I'd give $50 + $9 for Priority Mail shipping for it.

Well. what if I kept 55 dollars and only spent 4 dollars for low-cost
shipping? You've gone your whole life without this, why the rush now?
:-)

No, either I give it to that guy, who doesn't do metal working, or I
keep it. I'm sure I'll find at least one use for it, or more likely,
the use will find me. There will be plenty time after I die to sell
it.

I'm really a packrat and it's bad. My townhouse is full; I don't want
to move; and if I put something in one of the mini-storage lockers,
it's almost like sending it to Siberia. I forget I even have it.

Pete C.

I'm 36 and a "reformed pack rat". I give serious consideration to how
long it will actually be before I use something and what it would cost
to just buy new then. That doesn't mean I don't still hang onto stuff
and indeed I frequently pull out stuff I've put aside like five years
ago for a project today. I also have a couple "warehouses" comprising
about 500+ square feet.

BTW, the Priority Mail flat rate boxes are the most economical shipping
I've found for a lot of smaller / heavier things. Anything that will fit
in the supplied box, up to 70# anywhere in the country in 2-3 days for
like $8.10.

Pete C.