Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Pete

Default Metal halide lights questions (bought some)

They do not work well with the bulb straight up ( base down) and the light
deteriorates with age and usage.You should have about the same as 1000 watt
incandesant bulb for a mid life MH bulb of 250 watts.

"Ignoramus8325" wrote in message
I bought two used metal halide lights. They are about 1x2x0.5 feet in
size and take 250 watt bulbs.

I tried one of the two I bought (the second has a problem, likely due
to shipping, that I hope we can easily rectify with the seller). I
laid ot on the floor and directed the light at the ceiling.

My first impression is that, first, they take quite a while to warm up
(not a problem), and second, they are not that bright. I would say
that one 250W MH light makes about as much light as do my eight 4ft
fluorescent lights. Maybe it is more of an expectations issue and even
that is great.

Secondly, the color from the bulb that was there, leaves much to be
desired, it is kind of "cold". I am curious if I can buy some other
250W MH bulbs that produce a more lively color.

Internally, all they have is a multitap transformer and a capacitor.

Any thoughts on this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Ron Moore

There are two basic types, coated and clear. Color temp varies a bit
between the two, about 200 Kelvin, in the 4000 range. The bulbs are
designed to work vertically, base up OR base down, OR horzontally. Be sure
to get the right one for your fixture. Prices start at around $17 and go
up. Retail on some is over $100. Lycos search.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:29:37 GMT, Pete wrote:
They do not work well with the bulb straight up ( base down) and the
light
deteriorates with age and usage.You should have about the same as 1000
watt
incandesant bulb for a mid life MH bulb of 250 watts.

I see. The bulb in my test was placed horizontally. So, you basically
suggest to get a new bulb, right? If so, what kind?

thanks