Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shooting disaster equipment thieves.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Thomas Daniel Horne" wrote in message
The local prosecutor was on a radio show saying that using deadly force to
protect property was not warranted under Maryland law. I could not resist
the temptation so I called in and asked if he really thought he could get
anything better than a hung jury out of such a prosecution. The shows host
said he could not imagine impaneling a jury that would convict someone
who shot someone who was trying to steal emergency supplies or equipment.
All of the subsequent callers seemed to agree with the host.
--
Tom Horne

That is because people probably mis-understood. Stealing emergency
equipment to be used to assist others in an emergency would be OK, IMO.

Are you saying that it is ok for someone to enter my property, steal
my emergency supplies or equipment so they can give them out to their
family, neighbors or friends is OK? I have a real problem with taking
my emergency stuff, that I have planned for, and give it to people
that did not prepare for the emergency.

To steal the backup equipment that will prevent a medical facility to have
power, (or whatever) in an emergency is a different story. Yes, shoot the
*******.

--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
Are you saying that it is ok for someone to enter my property, steal
my emergency supplies or equipment so they can give them out to their
family, neighbors or friends is OK? I have a real problem with taking
my emergency stuff, that I have planned for, and give it to people
that did not prepare for the emergency.

Under certain circumstances, YES. If there was a disaster and someone is in
need of immediate attention, say a ventilator to keep them alive, and you
were away from your house but had a generator sitting in the shed, then YES,
steal the damned thing and save a life.

Do I mean come into your house tonight and steal your supplies to hand out
"just in case" there is a storm next week? NO. That is a case of shoot the
*******.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
Are you saying that it is ok for someone to enter my property, steal
my emergency supplies or equipment so they can give them out to their
family, neighbors or friends is OK? I have a real problem with taking
my emergency stuff, that I have planned for, and give it to people
that did not prepare for the emergency.

Under certain circumstances, YES. If there was a disaster and someone is in
need of immediate attention, say a ventilator to keep them alive, and you
were away from your house but had a generator sitting in the shed, then YES,
steal the damned thing and save a life.

How about I am running the generator and am home? The person stealing
the generator does not know what my requirements are. I happen to
also be supplying emergency power to elderly neighbors that have
medical problems. The person stealing it does not know what the
outcome will be. I am not saying that, if asked, I would not help.
Just that their problem does not justify stealing something that may
harm or kill some to save someone else. If it is my equipment then I
determine the priorities.

Do I mean come into your house tonight and steal your supplies to hand out
"just in case" there is a storm next week? NO. That is a case of shoot the
*******.

There was a bad ice storm that effected me as well, what now?
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
How about I am running the generator and am home? The person stealing
the generator does not know what my requirements are. I happen to
also be supplying emergency power to elderly neighbors that have
medical problems. The person stealing it does not know what the
outcome will be. I am not saying that, if asked, I would not help.
Just that their problem does not justify stealing something that may
harm or kill some to save someone else. If it is my equipment then I
determine the priorities.

We can go on for weeks with various scenarios, both good and bad. In some
cases, the theft may save a life and IMO, would be justified. Other cases it
would endanger and not be justified.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it's impractical to use peace time responses to predict police
or fire response during a crisis. I'm glad you are at such peace with
the world. I am not.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
g...
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

During a hurricane, that could be three or four days till the police
have someone available.

I live in a small town and if that happened I would probably have an
officer at my home in less than 30 minutes even after a major storm.
The average response time here is less than 10 minutes for police and
5 minutes for fire.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I think it's impractical to use peace time responses to predict police
or fire response during a crisis. I'm glad you are at such peace with
the world. I am not.

Part of that is Mustang is only 6 miles by 2 miles. If I lived in a
larger city or further out in the country I would probably feel
differently.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
How about I am running the generator and am home? The person stealing
the generator does not know what my requirements are. I happen to
also be supplying emergency power to elderly neighbors that have
medical problems. The person stealing it does not know what the
outcome will be. I am not saying that, if asked, I would not help.
Just that their problem does not justify stealing something that may
harm or kill some to save someone else. If it is my equipment then I
determine the priorities.

We can go on for weeks with various scenarios, both good and bad. In some
cases, the theft may save a life and IMO, would be justified. Other cases it
would endanger and not be justified.

The main point that I was trying to make is that the thief does not
know if it would endanger a life or the other impact and typically
does not care.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas Daniel Horne wrote:
Jim Rusling wrote:
" wrote:

So, sounds like a steady tropical rain with wind would not be good
to have the generator out in?

Banty
No but a sheet of plywood to keep rain directly off the generator is
all thats needed.you could lay it on some concerte blocks or some
such might sink and concrete a round hook in the ground and chain the
generator with a lock, idiots will steal anything.

chain and lock is a deterrent, if they want it bad enough its gone
no matter what.... chain around frame on truck.

dont laugh its happened before.....

A load of 00 buck will also slow them down a bit.

The local prosecutor was on a radio show saying that using deadly
force to protect property was not warranted under Maryland law. I
could not resist the temptation so I called in and asked if he really
thought he could get anything better than a hung jury out of such a
prosecution. The shows host said he could not imagine impaneling a
jury that would convict someone who shot someone who was trying to
steal emergency supplies or equipment. All of the subsequent callers
seemed to agree with the host.

Who's to say the owner did the shooting? Maybe it was a fellow thief who
wanted the stuff and got scared away? You never know, long's no one's
looking. Course, you never know who's looking eitherg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message

The main point that I was trying to make is that the thief does not
know if it would endanger a life or the other impact and typically
does not care.
--

The point that I was trying to make is that sometimes the thief does know
and does care, but to save a life immediately, he does take the equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message

The main point that I was trying to make is that the thief does not
know if it would endanger a life or the other impact and typically
does not care.
--

The point that I was trying to make is that sometimes the thief does
know and does care, but to save a life immediately, he does take the
equipment. That would be extreme circumstances.

Extremely RARE circumstance,yes.

I'm not talking
about someone taking it to sell for drug money.

In times of disaster,thieves should be shot.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

I'm not talking
about someone taking it to sell for drug money.

In times of disaster,thieves should be shot.

Even if it was your neighbor stealing an unused generator to keep your
mother alive on a respirator?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:52:55 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

In times of disaster,thieves should be shot.

Even if it was your neighbor stealing an unused generator to keep your
mother alive on a respirator?

Knock on my doodr and ask to use my generator if it is that important.
Otherwise thieves will be fired upon.

Again, this is not possible if you are not home. As I said, thee are
certain limited scenarios.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think it's impractical to use peace time responses to predict police
or fire response during a crisis. I'm glad you are at such peace with
the world. I am not.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

Why would response time be an issue? You got a gun and cable ties, you
just cuff the generator thief and leave them on the soggy ground until
the police get around to picking them up.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator on detached garage

In a disaster there are always abandoned cars that can be siphoned.
Remember part of any emergency preparedness is mentalpreparationand of
course a well stocked armory to keep what you have.

Shaun Eli wrote:
If there's a power failure you might have trouble getting gas since the
stations need electricity to pump, don't they?

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In times of disaster,thieves should be shot.

Even if it was your neighbor stealing an unused generator to keep your
mother alive on a respirator?

Knock on my doodr and ask to use my generator if it is that important.
Otherwise thieves will be fired upon.

Again, this is not possible if you are not home. As I said, thee are
certain limited scenarios.

I think you're both off base a bit. It is *never* justifiable to steal
emergency supplies from an individuals home or an emergency facility
like a shelter, hospital, nursing home, etc. - period - shoot the
*******s.

What could be justifiable is to steal emergency supplies from a closed,
abandoned store (not just closed overnight) during a severe and extended
emergency, preferably for use to aid a group of people.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a different scenario. The post that goes with my reply goes
something like "I can count on the police to be here in ten minutes".

I like your scenario, better.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pete C." wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think it's impractical to use peace time responses to predict

police
or fire response during a crisis. I'm glad you are at such peace

with
the world. I am not.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

Why would response time be an issue? You got a gun and cable ties, you
just cuff the generator thief and leave them on the soggy ground until
the police get around to picking them up.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:32:01 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think it's impractical to use peace time responses to predict police
or fire response during a crisis. I'm glad you are at such peace with
the world. I am not.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

Why would response time be an issue? You got a gun and cable ties, you
just cuff the generator thief and leave them on the soggy ground until
the police get around to picking them up.

Pete C.

It's now a couple of weeks later. You still have your generator. The
sheriff has finally gotten around to making sure everyone's OK. Then
your dog shows up with a freshly-chewed leg bone...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think it's impractical to use peace time responses to predict police
or fire response during a crisis. I'm glad you are at such peace with
the world. I am not.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

Why would response time be an issue? You got a gun and cable ties, you
just cuff the generator thief and leave them on the soggy ground until
the police get around to picking them up.

Pete C.

It's now a couple of weeks later. You still have your generator. The
sheriff has finally gotten around to making sure everyone's OK. Then
your dog shows up with a freshly-chewed leg bone...

Not my problem if I contacted the police promptly.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:X7nFg.288$6s.25@trndny08:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

I'm not talking
about someone taking it to sell for drug money.

In times of disaster,thieves should be shot.

Even if it was your neighbor stealing an unused generator to keep your
mother alive on a respirator?

Ah,an UNUSED generator. NOW we start narrowing things down.....

If it were my neighbor,they would ASK.
Or they would leave a note.They might even have inquired prior to the
disaster.
Then it's "borrowing",not stealing".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in :

wrote:

In times of disaster,thieves should be shot.

Even if it was your neighbor stealing an unused generator to keep your
mother alive on a respirator?

Knock on my doodr and ask to use my generator if it is that important.
Otherwise thieves will be fired upon.

Again, this is not possible if you are not home. As I said, thee are
certain limited scenarios.

I think you're both off base a bit. It is *never* justifiable to steal
emergency supplies from an individuals home or an emergency facility
like a shelter, hospital, nursing home, etc. - period - shoot the
*******s.

What could be justifiable is to steal emergency supplies from a closed,
abandoned store (not just closed overnight) during a severe and extended
emergency, preferably for use to aid a group of people.

Pete C.

Then it's a question of how one identifies whether the stolen items are for
aid or for profit. ??? (also what the stolen itens ARE;if they are
luxuries,they aren't for "aid". TVs,stereos,etc. = NOTaid.)

And would a store be "closed,abandoned" for an -extended- emergency?
I doubt it.

I live behind a Salvation Army retail store,and nightly,people drop off
donations to be sold and the funds used for aid;and nightly,people drive up
in SUVs and minivans,rummage thru the stuff,and LOAD UP their
vehicles(fully) with stuff;PLAINLY *stealing* it. Police will not do
anything,as the donations are left unsecured,unmonitored,and they say
people can always claim they were dropping off the stuff they actually
stole.(even though *I* can see them stealing it,and if the police watched
from my street,they would too.) F-ing lazy,worthless police....

I suppress the urge to shoot the thieves.
Can't even fire a warning shot. :-(

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in :

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think it's impractical to use peace time responses to predict police
or fire response during a crisis. I'm glad you are at such peace with
the world. I am not.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

Why would response time be an issue? You got a gun and cable ties, you
just cuff the generator thief and leave them on the soggy ground until
the police get around to picking them up.

Pete C.

You take a big risk trying to secure a thief,especially if you are not
trained like police are.
Perhaps if there's more than one of you good guys;one to overwatch,one to
cuff.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam E wrote in
:

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think it's impractical to use peace time responses to predict police
or fire response during a crisis. I'm glad you are at such peace with
the world. I am not.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

Why would response time be an issue? You got a gun and cable ties, you
just cuff the generator thief and leave them on the soggy ground until
the police get around to picking them up.

Pete C.

It's now a couple of weeks later. You still have your generator. The
sheriff has finally gotten around to making sure everyone's OK. Then
your dog shows up with a freshly-chewed leg bone...

In my area,it would be a GATOR. B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in :

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think it's impractical to use peace time responses to predict police
or fire response during a crisis. I'm glad you are at such peace with
the world. I am not.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

Why would response time be an issue? You got a gun and cable ties, you
just cuff the generator thief and leave them on the soggy ground until
the police get around to picking them up.

Pete C.

You take a big risk trying to secure a thief,especially if you are not
trained like police are.

Only if you're afraid to pull the trigger, in which case you should have
just remained quivering in the house trying to call the police.

Pete C.

Perhaps if there's more than one of you good guys;one to overwatch,one to
cuff.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

The problem with the whole "shoot the *******s" scenario is that you
would be arrested and some 26-year-old assistant D.A. would take time
away from his solitare game to Google your name, come up with your NG
postings, and convince the jury of pre-meditation. Sorry. Bye-bye.
Clank. lock "oh no, look at the size of my cell-mate!!!" ;-)

So after you keep the generator that provides you with worldly
conveniences for a week during the disaster, you spend the next 5 years
fighting law suits. I would image it is awfully hard to convince a
jury that you were justified, 18 months after the disaster and normally
has returned. Then there's the civil suit. Wonder what would be
worse, the wrongful death suit or the "pain and suffering" suit.
Probably pain and suffering.

In the end, you wished you never had the generator in the first place,
IMHO, and you had evacuated when you were warned to.

Pete C. wrote:

wrote:

In times of disaster,thieves should be shot.

Even if it was your neighbor stealing an unused generator to keep your
mother alive on a respirator?

Knock on my doodr and ask to use my generator if it is that important.
Otherwise thieves will be fired upon.

Again, this is not possible if you are not home. As I said, thee are
certain limited scenarios.

I think you're both off base a bit. It is *never* justifiable to steal
emergency supplies from an individuals home or an emergency facility
like a shelter, hospital, nursing home, etc. - period - shoot the
*******s.

What could be justifiable is to steal emergency supplies from a closed,
abandoned store (not just closed overnight) during a severe and extended
emergency, preferably for use to aid a group of people.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:

[...]

Only a problem for weenie dweebs like yourself. In the end those of us
who take responsibility for our own safety, preparation for likely
events and general well being will always prevail while the rest of you
continue to sit around in your destroyed homes whining for someone else
to take responsibility for your mistakes and ignorance.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair
edb edb is offline

Theft is never justified..................
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
newsAYEg.3814$v_1.2778@trndny01...

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
How about I am running the generator and am home? The person stealing
the generator does not know what my requirements are. I happen to
also be supplying emergency power to elderly neighbors that have
medical problems. The person stealing it does not know what the
outcome will be. I am not saying that, if asked, I would not help.
Just that their problem does not justify stealing something that may
harm or kill some to save someone else. If it is my equipment then I
determine the priorities.

We can go on for weeks with various scenarios, both good and bad. In some
cases, the theft may save a life and IMO, would be justified. Other cases
it would endanger and not be justified.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"edb" wrote in message
Theft is never justified..................

Easy to say sitting back at your computer.

Put your life on the line, or one of your family and extreme circumstances,
you'd take what you have to. No, I'm not talking about grabbing an old
lady's pocketbook, I'm talking about taking needed supplies that probably
would have been given to you if the person was there to do so.

If I was away on vacation during a disaster, and you stole the generator
from my backyard to save the life of someone, I'd not prosecute, rather I'd
thank you for doing what needed to be done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to :
In a disaster there are always abandoned cars that can be siphoned.
Remember part of any emergency preparedness is mentalpreparationand of
course a well stocked armory to keep what you have.

I think you meant "keep what you take".

Given the rest of that paragraph.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Shooting someone who is threatening you is one thing. But shooting
someone in the back as they are stealing your generator is something
totally different.

You might feel all macho now and call me a wuss, but first off, there
are very few people who could pull the trigger in that circumstance.
But if you did, your world would change forever. 3 year later, me and
the wusses will have recovered, but your wife will be filing to
bankrupsy, the family of the guy you shot will have a lien on
everything you own and will have an auction scheduled, your beloved
generator will be an the evidence locker, your family will be on
welfare and you will be in jail. IF you ever get out, you won't be
able to vote, you won't get a decent job because of your record, you'll
be destitute and you'll be banned for life from owning guns. The
family of the person you killed will still be grieving, but at least
they'll have all of your money. It's cold comfort.

All of this is, of course, assuming that you killed the guy with your
first shot and they he didn't pull out his gun and kill you. If he's
coming for your generator, what makes you think you are the only one
with a gun -- or even the best shot?

So if your dead, wounded, or in jail; it doesn't seem like it's worth
it for a piece of metal and a few hours of electricity.

Pete C. wrote:
Pat wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:

Shooting someone who is threatening you is one thing. But shooting
someone in the back as they are stealing your generator is something
totally different.

Who said anything about shooting someone in the back? Exactly how fast
do you think someone stealing a 200# generator is going to move? 99%
Probability that the sound of a warning shot and the sight of the bullet
impact in the ground a few feet in front of them will send them running
*without* the generator. Also, unless the thief is some sort of
neanderthal goon, a person carrying a gun can easily outrun and get in
front of the thief trying to carry a generator.

You might feel all macho now and call me a wuss, but first off, there
are very few people who could pull the trigger in that circumstance.

Certainly not those who think shooting the thief in the back is the only
option. They also likely couldn't hit the proverbial "broad side of a
barn" either the way they would be shaking.

But if you did, your world would change forever. 3 year later, me and
the wusses will have recovered, but your wife will be filing to
bankrupsy, the family of the guy you shot will have a lien on
everything you own and will have an auction scheduled, your beloved
generator will be an the evidence locker, your family will be on
welfare and you will be in jail.

Nope. Only in your fantasy world.

IF you ever get out, you won't be
able to vote, you won't get a decent job because of your record, you'll
be destitute and you'll be banned for life from owning guns. The
family of the person you killed will still be grieving, but at least
they'll have all of your money. It's cold comfort.

See above.

All of this is, of course, assuming that you killed the guy with your
first shot and they he didn't pull out his gun and kill you. If he's
coming for your generator, what makes you think you are the only one
with a gun -- or even the best shot?

If he has a gun there won't be any questions for me from the police or a
court. As for the only one with a gun, those of us who actually own guns
(unlike you probably) and periodically practice at a range with them
know enough to assume any criminal is armed until proven otherwise. We
also actually know how to use and aim our weapons unlike trembling
dweebs who are more likely to drop them.

So if your dead, wounded, or in jail; it doesn't seem like it's worth
it for a piece of metal and a few hours of electricity.

Keeping myself and my family safe is *always* worth it.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Pete C. wrote:
Pat wrote:

Shooting someone who is threatening you is one thing. But shooting
someone in the back as they are stealing your generator is something
totally different.

Who said anything about shooting someone in the back? Exactly how fast
do you think someone stealing a 200# generator is going to move? 99%
Probability that the sound of a warning shot and the sight of the bullet
impact in the ground a few feet in front of them will send them running
*without* the generator. Also, unless the thief is some sort of
neanderthal goon, a person carrying a gun can easily outrun and get in
front of the thief trying to carry a generator.

If the thieves are anything like you, they'd drive up in their pickup.
Then you'd fire a "warning shot" and they'd reach into their truck,
pull out their guns, and you'd have a good old fashioned fire fight
going on. If they were on foot, they might also be armed and there'd
be more of them than there are of you.

If you run down in front of them, and they aren't armed, you have three
choices if they decide to keep going (a) let them go (which is what you
would & should do); (b) shoot people you know are unarmed, in the
front, at short range; (c) shoot them in the back as they run off.
Which did they teach you to do in shooting school??????

You might feel all macho now and call me a wuss, but first off, there
are very few people who could pull the trigger in that circumstance.

Certainly not those who think shooting the thief in the back is the only
option. They also likely couldn't hit the proverbial "broad side of a
barn" either the way they would be shaking.

See, there's where you are wrong, and possibly fatally wrong. You make
bad assumptions. Grab your pistol collection and come on up to NY and
we'll have a shooting contest. We'll do everything perfectly legal and
perfectly safe on my range. You'll see you don't have a chance. Why?
Because we are doing it legally and I'm willing to bet you couldn't
legally possess a handgun in NY. And with an attitude like yours,
that's probably a good thing.

But if you did, your world would change forever. 3 year later, me and
the wusses will have recovered, but your wife will be filing to
bankrupsy, the family of the guy you shot will have a lien on
everything you own and will have an auction scheduled, your beloved
generator will be an the evidence locker, your family will be on
welfare and you will be in jail.

Nope. Only in your fantasy world.

Go talk to your sheriff or DA about the criminal penalties for what you
are proposing. Even if you got off, you'd go broke defending yourself.
Plus there's civil stuff. Go ask O.J. I think you're the one living
in a fantasy world. Sounds to me like you've watched 1 too many John
Wayne movies.

Your biggest setback will be when they find your NG postings and find
you've planned doing this. You'll go away for a long, long time if you
ever shoot a thief.

BTW, I don't know what state you are in, but I am in NY. State laws
vary to some extend, but in NY it is nearly impossible to use lethal
force to defend property. Other states may not be to that level, but
they aren't to the wild west level that you think you have, either.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Aug 2006 08:11:16 -0700, "Pat"
wrote:

Go talk to your sheriff or DA about the criminal penalties for what you
are proposing. Even if you got off, you'd go broke defending yourself.
Plus there's civil stuff. Go ask O.J. I think you're the one living
in a fantasy world. Sounds to me like you've watched 1 too many John
Wayne movies.

Seems like if you are going to shoot shoot to kill. Same thing with
car accidents. If you are going to hit someone, kill the fella. End
of all the lawsuit BS. No I don't own a gun. I don't own a car
either. I avoid getting into ridiculous situations. But if shove
comes to push maiming the scumbag is an acceptable option if the
penalty for doing so is the same as just punching him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The idea of starting shooting and possibly get innocent bystanders shot
in nuts

Posted to alt.home.repair

mook Johnson wrote:
I looking at an alternative to a large natural gas generator and looking at
a 5 - 7kW gasoline powered job with gen-tran manual transfer switch.

If its raining I can't use the generator outside. Our outages usually occur
during approaching thunderstorms or hurricanes so running the generator
outside is not possible.

I'm considering putting it in my detached garage which is about 30ft from
the house and has the fusebox. The garage is 21 x 25 two car garage.

I'm looking at installing a 20"x20" auto shutter gable vent and placing it
behind the generator with a gable fan blowing outward. The exhaust will be
plumbed outside through a thimble and the garage door will be up an inch or
so to let air in. (~400sqin area) in addition to my soffet vents.

CO detectors will be installed in the garage in case of a build up of co.

do you guys think that setup will work and be safe?

If it were me I would get a Honda EU3000is (actually I just bought
one). They are very quiet. So noise shouldn't be an issue. Then for
placement, I would choose one of these 2 options:

1. Build a small patio for it, as suggested by Chris Lewis in a
footings and cover it with a roof. Put the generator on a raised cement
pad or build a wooden pallet out of treated lumber to put it on, or

2. During a power outage place the generator a few inches from an open
garage door with the exhaust facing the door. Buy a powerful, new fan
and blow the exhaust out the door. Fans last for years and seldom fail
and even if it did quit working, it's not going to hurt anything since
your garage is detached.

The Honda 3000is (2800W, 120V) doesn't put out as much power as most of
us would like to have, but it makes up for it with it's low noise level
and fuel economy.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...lName=eu3000is

As one anti-theft device (in addition to chaining it up), I've been
looking at the "Blackout Buddy". It looks like it has a radio that
comes on when the power goes out.
http://www.independentliving.com/pro...?number=628442

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

mook Johnson wrote:
[...]

When you do this, please be VERY safe in your operating of the
generator.

A friend of mine had one in his garage. I have every reason to believe
it was installed in a safe and legal manner because they guy was a
licensed architect. One day the power went out and the generator came
on (I do not know if it was a manual connection or auto, but it doesn't
really matter). It ran overnight and in the middle of the night it
died. I don't know the exact reason, but it is assumed it ran out of
gas.

He went to refill the tank and restart the generator. There was a
fire. I won't say anything else. Please, just be very careful.

Pat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mook Johnson, alexander wrote:

how can i run a generator in an enclosed room with no ventillation

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-137316-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 20:14:02 GMT, alexander
m wrote:

replying to mook Johnson, alexander wrote:

how can i run a generator in an enclosed room with no ventillation

You can't - without dying
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 18:33:40 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

replying to mook Johnson, alexander wrote:
how can i run a generator in an enclosed room with no ventillation

You can't - without dying

Not so. Just wear a SCUBA tank or the equivilent.

There will have to be a fresh air intake for the engine and a way for
the exhaust gas to get out.

When I worked at a hospital we had 2 diesel powered generators and they
were in a room that was mostly enclosed. However the ehaust was piped
outside and so was the air intake.

In other words, the room was well ventilated. (closed system
ventilation, perhaps - but ventilated none-the-less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/27/2018 05:33 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

When I worked at a hospital we had 2 diesel powered generators and they
were in a room that was mostly enclosed. However the ehaust was piped
outside and so was the air intake.

And there should be a CO alarm in there, in case of a leak.