Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Shooting disaster equipment thieves.

Shooting someone who is threatening you is one thing. But shooting
someone in the back as they are stealing your generator is something
totally different.

You might feel all macho now and call me a wuss, but first off, there
are very few people who could pull the trigger in that circumstance.
But if you did, your world would change forever. 3 year later, me and
the wusses will have recovered, but your wife will be filing to
bankrupsy, the family of the guy you shot will have a lien on
everything you own and will have an auction scheduled, your beloved
generator will be an the evidence locker, your family will be on
welfare and you will be in jail. IF you ever get out, you won't be
able to vote, you won't get a decent job because of your record, you'll
be destitute and you'll be banned for life from owning guns. The
family of the person you killed will still be grieving, but at least
they'll have all of your money. It's cold comfort.

All of this is, of course, assuming that you killed the guy with your
first shot and they he didn't pull out his gun and kill you. If he's
coming for your generator, what makes you think you are the only one
with a gun -- or even the best shot?

So if your dead, wounded, or in jail; it doesn't seem like it's worth
it for a piece of metal and a few hours of electricity.

Pete C. wrote:
Pat wrote:

The problem with the whole "shoot the *******s" scenario is that you
would be arrested and some 26-year-old assistant D.A. would take time
away from his solitare game to Google your name, come up with your NG
postings, and convince the jury of pre-meditation. Sorry. Bye-bye.
Clank. lock "oh no, look at the size of my cell-mate!!!" ;-)

So after you keep the generator that provides you with worldly
conveniences for a week during the disaster, you spend the next 5 years
fighting law suits. I would image it is awfully hard to convince a
jury that you were justified, 18 months after the disaster and normally
has returned. Then there's the civil suit. Wonder what would be
worse, the wrongful death suit or the "pain and suffering" suit.
Probably pain and suffering.

In the end, you wished you never had the generator in the first place,
IMHO, and you had evacuated when you were warned to.

Only a problem for weenie dweebs like yourself. In the end those of us
who take responsibility for our own safety, preparation for likely
events and general well being will always prevail while the rest of you
continue to sit around in your destroyed homes whining for someone else
to take responsibility for your mistakes and ignorance.

Pete C.