Posted to alt.home.repair
FS FS is offline

Default Noisy Goodman AC Unit

Good evening,
About 6 years ago we had an addition built on to our home and for this
addition we had installed a Goodman AC unit. As best as I can recall it's
been noisy from the start.

Several days ago an AC guy checking up on another unit told us that Goodman
is not well thought of and I think he also said they tend to be noisy.

Here is the key point: He said for around $200 he could reduce the noise by
pouring something into the Goodman unit and tightening some stuff up. I
didn't think to ask what this stuff was that would be poured in, but he said
that it would be a one-time thing.

This sounds like an unusual fix to the problem. Has anyone heard of this
before?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Describe the noise.

When does it happen.

Where does it come from.

etc.

Based on your post the only thing that can surely be poured in that
will quiet it down is concrete.

-rev

FS wrote:
Good evening,
About 6 years ago we had an addition built on to our home and for this
addition we had installed a Goodman AC unit. As best as I can recall it's
been noisy from the start.

Several days ago an AC guy checking up on another unit told us that Goodman
is not well thought of and I think he also said they tend to be noisy.

Here is the key point: He said for around $200 he could reduce the noise by
pouring something into the Goodman unit and tightening some stuff up. I
didn't think to ask what this stuff was that would be poured in, but he said
that it would be a one-time thing.

This sounds like an unusual fix to the problem. Has anyone heard of this
before?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pour it right through the top fan grille. About one cubic yard oughta
do it.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

ups.com...

FS wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not heard of that.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"FS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

FS wrote:

About 6 years ago we had an addition built on to our home and for this
addition we had installed a Goodman AC unit. As best as I can recall it's
been noisy from the start.

Several days ago an AC guy checking up on another unit told us that Goodman
is not well thought of and I think he also said they tend to be noisy.

Here is the key point: He said for around $200 he could reduce the noise by
pouring something into the Goodman unit and tightening some stuff up. I
didn't think to ask what this stuff was that would be poured in, but he said
that it would be a one-time thing.

This sounds like an unusual fix to the problem. Has anyone heard of this
before? Thanks!

If a Goodman unit is installed properly it will do okay.
The source of the noise needs to be identified then some things can
usually be done to reduce the noise.
Never let anyone pour something into a condenser without knowing what it
is, & what it will do, good or bad to the unit!
- udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

FS wrote:

About 6 years ago we had an addition built on to our home and for this
addition we had installed a Goodman AC unit. As best as I can recall it's
been noisy from the start.

Several days ago an AC guy checking up on another unit told us that Goodman
is not well thought of and I think he also said they tend to be noisy.

Here is the key point: He said for around $200 he could reduce the noise by
pouring something into the Goodman unit and tightening some stuff up. I
didn't think to ask what this stuff was that would be poured in, but he said
that it would be a one-time thing.

This sounds like an unusual fix to the problem. Has anyone heard of this
before? Thanks!

If a Goodman unit is installed properly it will do okay.
All condensing units have sound ratings, check and compare, Goodman is
usually as good as most of them. A good tech can reduce the noise.

The source of the noise needs to be identified then some things can
usually be done to reduce the noise.
Never let anyone pour something into a condenser without knowing what it
is, & what it will do, good or bad to the unit!
- udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html
HVAC Techs:
http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-s...ubcooling.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"FS" wrote in

Good evening,
About 6 years ago we had an addition built on to our home and for this
addition we had installed a Goodman AC unit. As best as I can recall
it's been noisy from the start.

Several days ago an AC guy checking up on another unit told us that
Goodman is not well thought of and I think he also said they tend to
be noisy.

Here is the key point: He said for around $200 he could reduce the
noise by pouring something into the Goodman unit and tightening some
stuff up. I didn't think to ask what this stuff was that would be
poured in, but he said that it would be a one-time thing.

This sounds like an unusual fix to the problem. Has anyone heard of
this before?

Thanks!

Looks like the serviceman is saying the cabinet is rattling. Loose metal
parts touching can make the noise. You could also put up a noise barrier
between your house and the unit, such as a wood or block wall or bushes....
Too bad you didn't get a Trane!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave M." wrote in message
"FS" wrote in

[...]

I WISH we'd gotten a Trane! We have two other units and they are Tranes. I
was outside a few moments ago and one of them was on -- there's just a nice
whirring sound combined with a low motor sound coming from it.

On the other hand, the Goodman is maybe four or five times as noisy, and the
noise is a little annoying because it's not just a "whirring" sound. It
seems like it's just a loud motor. It's not a clattering or "something's
broken" sound. We've had it for about 6 years and it's never had a problem
that I can think of.

Is this something I need to call a tech on, or could I just tighten all
visible bolts on the unit?

Thanks for reading!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only thing I can figure the service tech was talking about would be
"Zerol Ice" -- an oil additive that is put into the system that is
supposed to quiet the compressor down. I have had no experience with it,
and do not know anybody that has either. Certain models of Goodman used
Bristol recip compressors that were fairly noisy. There is a sound
blanket that can be put on the compressor that does usually help a
little bit. Good luck Larry