Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Default Steps to select a generator 8/9

FAQ (generac)

conversions & additions

Do you offer any conversion kits to make my generator electric start? No.
The cost in parts and labor to convert a non-electric start generator to
electric start will be greater than the cost of the generator. Also, making
any modifications to your unit may void the warranty. Because the engine
manufacture maintains the warranty on their engine, you will need to contact
them before making any changes to your engine.

Do you offer any conversion kits for propane? NO. If you alter the unit in
any way, you will VOID the warranty.

How do I convert my generator to propane? It is not recommended that the
generator be converted to propane. These units are designed specifically to
run on regular unleaded gas. Altering the unit in any will VOID the
warranty.

Can I add an extra gas tank to my generator? Your unit was designed to run
specifically on the tanks provided with the machine. If you add fuel tanks
it will alter the run and cooling times of the unit, running the risk of
over heating and over working the engine and generator. If you alter the
unit in any way, you will VOID the warranty

Do you sell remote starters for my generator? No, we do not market a remote
starter for our portable units. If you need something with remote start
capabilities, you would need to go to a Home Generator System.

electrical

How come my generator cannot get wet? Water and electricity DO NOT MIX! To
protect the life of your generator, we do not recommend that you expose the
generator to the elements. Water can damage the control panel, the engine,
and the windings of the generator.

Why are my lights flickering? With a florescent light this will be normal.
If you are having a light flickering problem, and the lights are not
florescent, you will need to contact a Authorized Service Dealer to have
your unit looked at.

Should I put a load on the generator before I plug anything into it? Yes,
you should test a load on all the outlets. There is no specified time for
load break in as long as it is put under load at least once a month to
verify that the rotor stays magnetized. Follow your ENGINE manual for
specific break in hours for engines.

Can I back feed my generator through my dryer receptacle? NO! Back feeding a
generator through a receptacle should not be done because it poses a danger
for the people working on the electrical lines. In most cases, death would
be the result because electricity would be fed through the utility box
through the electrical lines.

What is the sine wave on the generator? The sine wave produced by our
generators is a "True" wave (it is not square), thus producing a cleaner
power.

What is the advantage of a voltage regulator? The advantage of voltage
regulation is for voltage sensitive equipment, like computers. The voltage
regulator keeps a more steady voltage output by adjusting for spikes and
surges.

What does Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) do for me? AVR maintains steady
voltage. This is important for running sensitive electronics such as,
computers, microwaves and televisions.

How do I wire these twist lock plugs? The directions for wiring twist lock
plugs will vary according to the application you are using. The following
will help identify the plug connections:

Screws: Green = ground / Silver = neutral / Copper = hot

Wires: Green = ground / White = neutral / Red & Black = hot

Do I have to ground the generator? Yes, a 4 or 6 foot grounding rod is
sufficient depending on your state and local codes for grounding the
generator. Please contact your local electric company or electrician for
further information. Any good conductor of electricity is sufficient for
grounding the generator, copper is preferred.

Does motor starting require different wattage? Induction motors require
larger amounts of electricity for initial start-up than when they are
running. Some appliances and tools, such as your refrigerator/freezer,
furnace fan, air conditioner, electric chain saw, weed trimmer, etc. may
require more watts than normal running wattage for motor starting. This must
be considered when sizing a generator to meet your needs.

What do you mean by "full capacity outlets?" A full capacity outlet allows
the full rated power of the unit to be drawn from a single outlet. On a 4000
watt generator, you could pull all 4000 watts from a single outlet if
necessary

How long of an extension cord can I use with my generator? The recommended
length of an extension cord is 50 feet. It is not recommended that you go
over 75 feet of extension cord because the longer the cord, the more
resistance. Use 10 gage wire for cords between 50 to 75 feet.

Is the generator copper wound? Yes.

How many cycles is this generator? It is a sixty (60 Hz) cycle generator.

How are the generators protected from overload? All generators feature AC
circuit breakers. In the even the unit is overloaded, the circuit breaker
will pop out. If this happens, the operator needs to correct the overload
condition and then reset the circuit breaker by pressing it back in again.

Does the battery on my electric start generator charge as it is being run?
Yes, as the generator is running it is charging the battery.

What's the difference between rated (running) and starting watts? The rated
(running) watts of a generator is the amount of power the unit can produce
continuously, while the surge (starting) wattage is the power that the
generator can produce for short periods of time. The short burst of power
needed to start and engine-powered item is a good example of starting
wattage.

How do you determine the wattage requirements of a specific tool or
appliance? Electrical items generally state the related amperage (and
sometimes wattage) on the data plate. If amps are shown, simply multiply
amps times volts to get wattage. Example: A circular saw shows on its
nameplate that it requires 9 amps at 120 volts. by multiplying 9 amps by 120
volts you discover that this saw requires 1080 watts for normal operation.

exhaust / venting

What is a spark arrest muffler? A spark arrest muffler is a muffler that has
a spark inhibiting screen attached to it to prevent fires. Spark arrest
mufflers are required for generator operation in national parks and
campgrounds.

Are these generators camp ground approved? Many of our generators, equipped
with engine spark arrestor, are approved for use in state forests and camp
grounds. Please check with the individual state forests and camp grounds for
their rules on generator use.

Can I vent exhaust from my generator out of an enclosed area? NO. Carbon
monoxide gases produced by the engine can be deadly. Generac Portable
Products are designed to be run outside where there is plenty of
ventilation. Never run these units inside a home or enclosed area.

I want to extend my muffler pipe to go through the garage, How do I do this?
NO! Carbon monoxide gases from the engine are deadly. Our units are designed
to be run outside with ample ventilation. Never run the unit inside your
home or in an enclosed area. Extending the muffler may hamper the
performance of the engine.

Are larger mufflers available for my generator? No. Generac Portable
Products has not approved any after market mufflers. A muffler that has not
been tested could actually increase the exhaust temperature causing engine
damage, possibly voiding the warranty.

mechanical

Are there ball bearings or bushings on the generator? Ball bearings.

Is the generator copper wound? Yes.

How many pistons are on the generator? This depends on the engine. Any time
we use a single cylinder engine there is ONE piston. When a V-twin
application is used, there are TWO pistons.

How does the idle control feature work? The idle control is a feature which
allows the engine to idle up or down according to the need of the load. The
idle control feature is mainly a gas saver if the unit is not going to be
under load at all times while the engine is running (drills, saws, etc.)
Once the electric load is removed from the generator, it will sense it and
regulate it.

What is the size of the spark plug service wrench? It is a standard 5/8th
inch spark plug wrench.

How many strokes is the engine on my generator? Do I mix the oil with the
gas? All engines on our products are four (4) stroke. You DO NOT need to mix
the oil with the gas.

operation & maintenance

Can I use this generator in an Recreational Vehicle (RV)? You may use the
generator for R.V. applications provided you do not mount, or ventilate the
generator inside of the R.V.

Can I put this generator on the back of a truck? No, we recommend the unit
be on level solid ground. Never run our generators while a vehicle is
moving. The unit also needs to be grounded.

How come my generator cannot get wet? Water and electricity DO NOT MIX! To
protect the life of your generator, we do not recommend that you expose the
generator to the elements. Water can damage the control panel, the engine,
and the windings of the generator.

What kind of shelter do you recommend to cover the generator? You may build
a shelter for your generator provided you leave adequate room for air
circulation. Your generator has an air cooled engine. AIR is the ONLY source
of coolant. We recommend a shelter with two feet of clearance around the
generator. You must leave the shelter completely open on two ends.

Should I put a load on the generator before I plug anything into it? Yes,
you should test a load on all the outlets. There is no specified time for
load break in as long as it is put under load at least once a month to
verify that the rotor stays magnetized. Follow your ENGINE manual for
specific break in hours for engines.

How do I start it and how do I hook it up? Recoil models start just like a
lawn mower, with the pull of a rope. Electric start models connect to a
battery and start by pressing a switch. Most tools or appliances can be
directly plugged into the unit for operation. To wire your generator to your
home's electrical system, the safest and most convenient way is to use a
Transfer System.

Do I have to have the idle control off before I shut down the unit? YES! If
the idle control is left on during shut down, the idle control circuit could
become damaged.

Should I pour oil into the oil filter before I put it on the engine? NO.

How do I winterize my unit? What kind of anti-freeze should I use? Detailed
instruction for this process are located in your Owner/Operating Manual.

If my generator is electric start, can I still pull start my generator? A
majority of our electric start models are also equipped with a recoil pull
starter on the engine. This pull starter can be used to start a our electric
start units.

How long can I run my generator before I have to shut it down? You should
never run your generator out of fuel while it is running under a load. If
this happens and sensitive equipment is being powered, it could destroy that
piece of equipment or cause harm to the generator.

Can the generator be used during inclement weather? Generators obviously are
used in a wide variety of weather conditions, but they should be protected
from the elements to prevent shorting and rusting. Protection for the unit
must be provided in a manner that does not impede the air flow to the unit
needed for cooling both the engine and generator head.

How long does my unit need to be off before refueling? Normally about 15
minutes is sufficient for cool down.

Can I use premium gasoline with my unit? NO. Regular unleaded gasoline is
recommended. High octane fuel burns too hot for small engines and will
shorten the life of the engine.

Is Sta-bil ok to use in my unit? Yes, it should be used when storing the
unit or the gas for any length of time. It is always recommended that if the
unit is going to be stored for thirty (30) plus days, the gas be completely
drained from the tank and the engine run dry. Follow the directions on
Sta-bil for short term storage.

storage

Is Sta-bil ok to use in my unit? Yes, it should be used when storing the
unit or the gas for any length of time. It is always recommended that if the
unit is going to be stored for thirty (30) plus days, the gas be completely
drained from the tank and the engine run dry. Follow the directions on
Sta-bil for short term storage.

troubleshooting

How come my generator is not putting out any power? Check all the breakers
on the unit.

Why does my engine keep shutting down? Most of our units are built with
engines with low oil sensors. We recommend filling the unit to the proper
level as indicated in the ENGINE owners manual, and tipping or rocking the
unit gently from side to side. This will allow any air to escape that may be
trapped in the oil. If this does not work, you will need to contact a
service center recommended to you by the engine manufacture.

misc

Are these generators camp ground approved? Many of our generators, equipped
with engine spark arrestor, are approved for use in state forests and camp
grounds. Please check with the individual state forests and camp grounds for
their rules on generator use.

Can I use this generator in an Recreational Vehicle (RV)? You may use the
generator for R.V. applications provided you do not mount, or ventilate the
generator inside of the R.V.

Can I put this generator on the back of a truck? No, we recommend the unit
be on level solid ground. Never run our generators while a vehicle is
moving. The unit also needs to be grounded.

Where is the data plate on my unit? The data plate is located on either the
engine blower housing or the rear bearing carrier cover. On 10,000 watt
generators, it is located directly on the Stator.