Posted to alt.home.repair
Bishoop

Default Ping Dr. Hardcrab re Goodman A/C

I've read your posts where you discuss Goodman units. Maybe you'll take the
time to offer an opinion for me.

I am the "lucky" owner of a package Goodman 12 SEER heat pump unit. I live
in Central Florida and the unit has been in place for about nine months. It
heats and cools wonderfully, no complaints there.

The problem I'm describing is not something new but has been around since
day one.

You have mentioned that Goodmans are noisy. Well, mine is noisy, but only
intermittently under certain conditions.

It's at is quietest in the A/C mode during the summer after the sun has gone
down and the ambient temp has dropped somewhat. Sometimes under the above
conditions the unit will be loud when it first starts and then within a
couple of seconds the noise level drops considerably to what I consider
acceptable. Sometimes it starts loud and then slowly the noise level
deceases. During the heat of the day it's noisy during the entire on cycle.

Now in the winter when in the heating mode it is noisy all the time.
Ambient temperatures are between 35* and 60* when it's running to maintain
70* inside.

I've noticed when it's heating and the unit is running in the "noisy mode"
if I press down on the grill that supports the large fan that the noise
level will decrease. I placed a 5 gallon bucket filled with water on the
center of the grill and that quieted it down quite a bit. That was when the
compressor was running the in heat mode. Now today, with the high outside
temperature and in the cooling mode I discovered that removing the bucket of
water reduced the noise level.

I don't know if my explanation is clear or not. If you can make any sense
of it I'd appreciate any comments you may offer, other than Goodmans are a
POS, I've read enough of that already.

Thanks in advance....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

It's probably been a couple years since I have installed a package unit, but
most of the ones i have seen are about the same when it comes to noise. I'm
sure there are some quiet units out there, I just don't know what they are.

Most of the ones I see have bricks or cinder blocks on the to cut down on
the rattles!

One good thing I can say about most of them (including the Goodman ones):
They're practically "idiot proof". What I mean by that is it doesn't really
matter who installs them because you basically set them in place and plug
them in. O.K., it's not THAT simple (you don't plug it in), but it comes
from the factory as a "sealed system". No piping, evacuation, soldering,
etc. is invloved so it has a better chance of survival of "Billy Bob"
installs it. True, returns, supplies, and ductwork have to be sized
properly.

Not sure what the temperature of the day has to do with the change in sound
except that when it's hot during the day, the unit IS "working" harder. At
night it quiets down because it's not working as hard. As far as it getting
quieter when you remove the bucket: Blocking some of the air flow coming out
of the unit can make it noisier. That's why it quiets down when you remove
the bucket. OR it could be a number of other things like the fan blade being
out of balance (cracked, loose hub, counterweight missing, etc.) screws
missing, bearings on the motor going bad, stuff like that.

I know that doesn't solve your problem, but it's the only things that really
come to mind. It hard to tell when I can't see or hear it.

Now if you want me to take a look at it by sending me a round trip ticket,
hotel accomodations, dinner at a nice restaurant.......

;-]

"Bishoop" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Bishoop" wrote in message
[...]

I had a 1999 10 seer Goodman on my last home. I took readings and it was
over 70 db at 10 feet away. 13 feet was my patio.

You can get a compressor blanket, for it. That will lower the DB some.
Check to see if the shipping bolts on the compressor were loosened. Most
builder units are not.
You can buy vibration isolator pads one for each corner and one under the
compressor. They will help, 1-3 db, if vibration is the issue.

Lastly there is a product called Zerol Ice. It is a lubricant for R-22. I
installed a can in my Goodman and the sound was lowered 3-5 DB at 10 feet.
It was noticeable quieter inside after the zerol ice install. Ya I had a
compressor blanket on it all ready.
http://www.nucalgon.com/nucalgon/nuc...C?OpenDocument

I paid ~$50 bucks for the can. I was fortuante enough to have a friend of a
friend that had the special tool needed to open the can, another $30. 1
can will do up to 7.5 tons if I remember correctly.

It worked for me. It also lowered the amp draw a couple across the board.
I was satisified with the product. Now for the bad news. It was recommended
to me not to use this product on new equipment. I am not sure that I would
be inclined to install the product in something as new as yours.

I would recommend, in order
check shipping bolts, and install a sound blanket, less than $100 bucks and
goes on with velco. If you can get to the compressor you can install it.
install vibration pads between unit and concrete
Lastly call Nucalgon and get the name of a installer near you. NOT everyone
has heard of this product.

Have fun

Posted to alt.home.repair
JustDave

"Bishoop" wrote in message
[...]

If your problem is compressor vibration related, you might try packing a
couple of sandbags around the base of the compressor. I used heavy duty ($3
each) fiberglass bags to limit weather related decomposition, and this trick
has significantly reduced the noise for the last couple of years on several
units at work.

HTH

JustDave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"JustDave" wrote

If your problem is compressor vibration related, you might try packing a
couple of sandbags around the base of the compressor. I used heavy duty
($3 each) fiberglass bags to limit weather related decomposition, and this
trick has significantly reduced the noise for the last couple of years on
several units at work.

Never heard of doing that before, but, hey! If it works....

(If you think about it, you really SHOULD NOT have to do it)

Another thing I have seen: Sometimes units come from the factory with little
metal "clips" under the compressor to stabalize it during shipping.
Sometimes the installer forgets to take the out. THOSE can really make it
noisy....

Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell

Bishoop wrote:

I am the "lucky" owner of a package Goodman 12 SEER heat pump unit. I live
in Central Florida and the unit has been in place for about nine months. It
heats and cools wonderfully, no complaints there.

The problem I'm describing is not something new but has been around since
day one.

You have mentioned that Goodmans are noisy. Well, mine is noisy, but only
intermittently under certain conditions.

It's quietest in the A/C mode during the summer after the sun has gone
down and the ambient temp has dropped somewhat.

First, is the condenser level? Try setting the condenser legs on thick
rubber pads.

Piston compressors tend to hammer and vibrate when they are overloaded
with heat from the evaporator.
Could your indoor unit be pulling hot air from the attic into the
cooling coil?

If the temp is high enough outdoors that could also be getting pressures
high enough to increase the noise level..

[...]

The weight of the bucket of water changed the tension on the fan grille,
even when removed, and therefore reduced the vibration noise.
All mfg’ers' should work on reducing vibration noises.

This is merely an opinion and primarily guess-work suggestions. udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bishoop

snip

First, is the condenser level? Try setting the condenser legs on thick
rubber pads.

I'll check the level and try some rubber isolaton pads

Piston compressors tend to hammer and vibrate when they are overloaded
with heat from the evaporator.
Could your indoor unit be pulling hot air from the attic into the cooling
coil?

This is a package unit installed in a manufactured home with no inside air
handler.

If the temp is high enough outdoors that could also be getting pressures
high enough to increase the noise level..

It's at it's quietest during hot summer days.

\ This is merely an opinion and primarily guess-work suggestions. udarrell

I realize it's hard to diagnose this type of problem via cyber space.
Thanks for you time....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bishoop

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
[...]

The way the market has been beating me up the past couple of days I'll have
to hold off on the tickets/accommodations/dinner for a while 8).

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bishoop

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Bishoop" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the tips ~ I'll try to have some fun!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bishoop

Default Ping Dr. Hardcrab re Goodman A/C ~ Update

"Bishoop" wrote in message
[...]

I located where a good deal of the noise is coming from. There is a piece
of PVC (?) tubing than encloses the power wires going to the fan mounted on
the grill.

I secured that better than it was and it's noticeably quieter.

Next I'm going to remove the fan/grill assembly and make sure everything
else is tight in there.

Thanks to all.