Posted to alt.home.repair
Bishoop

Default Ping Dr. Hardcrab re Goodman A/C

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
It's probably been a couple years since I have installed a package unit,
but most of the ones i have seen are about the same when it comes to
noise. I'm sure there are some quiet units out there, I just don't know
what they are.

Most of the ones I see have bricks or cinder blocks on the to cut down on
the rattles!

One good thing I can say about most of them (including the Goodman ones):
They're practically "idiot proof". What I mean by that is it doesn't
really matter who installs them because you basically set them in place
and plug them in. O.K., it's not THAT simple (you don't plug it in), but
it comes from the factory as a "sealed system". No piping, evacuation,
soldering, etc. is invloved so it has a better chance of survival of
"Billy Bob" installs it. True, returns, supplies, and ductwork have to be
sized properly.

Not sure what the temperature of the day has to do with the change in
sound except that when it's hot during the day, the unit IS "working"
harder. At night it quiets down because it's not working as hard. As far
as it getting quieter when you remove the bucket: Blocking some of the air
flow coming out of the unit can make it noisier. That's why it quiets down
when you remove the bucket. OR it could be a number of other things like
the fan blade being out of balance (cracked, loose hub, counterweight
missing, etc.) screws missing, bearings on the motor going bad, stuff like
that.

I know that doesn't solve your problem, but it's the only things that
really come to mind. It hard to tell when I can't see or hear it.

Now if you want me to take a look at it by sending me a round trip ticket,
hotel accomodations, dinner at a nice restaurant.......

;-]

The way the market has been beating me up the past couple of days I'll have
to hold off on the tickets/accommodations/dinner for a while 8).

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.