Posted to alt.home.repair
JustDave

Default Ping Dr. Hardcrab re Goodman A/C

"Bishoop" wrote in message
I've read your posts where you discuss Goodman units. Maybe you'll take
the time to offer an opinion for me.

I am the "lucky" owner of a package Goodman 12 SEER heat pump unit. I
live in Central Florida and the unit has been in place for about nine
months. It heats and cools wonderfully, no complaints there.

The problem I'm describing is not something new but has been around since
day one.

You have mentioned that Goodmans are noisy. Well, mine is noisy, but only
intermittently under certain conditions.

It's at is quietest in the A/C mode during the summer after the sun has
gone down and the ambient temp has dropped somewhat. Sometimes under the
above conditions the unit will be loud when it first starts and then
within a couple of seconds the noise level drops considerably to what I
consider acceptable. Sometimes it starts loud and then slowly the noise
level deceases. During the heat of the day it's noisy during the entire
on cycle.

Now in the winter when in the heating mode it is noisy all the time.
Ambient temperatures are between 35* and 60* when it's running to maintain
70* inside.

I've noticed when it's heating and the unit is running in the "noisy mode"
if I press down on the grill that supports the large fan that the noise
level will decrease. I placed a 5 gallon bucket filled with water on the
center of the grill and that quieted it down quite a bit. That was when
the compressor was running the in heat mode. Now today, with the high
outside temperature and in the cooling mode I discovered that removing the
bucket of water reduced the noise level.

I don't know if my explanation is clear or not. If you can make any sense
of it I'd appreciate any comments you may offer, other than Goodmans are a
POS, I've read enough of that already.

Thanks in advance....

If your problem is compressor vibration related, you might try packing a
couple of sandbags around the base of the compressor. I used heavy duty ($3
each) fiberglass bags to limit weather related decomposition, and this trick
has significantly reduced the noise for the last couple of years on several
units at work.

HTH

JustDave