Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fridge Question

I have a GE side x side Fridge/Freezer-
Don't know how old - we bought it from the previous homeowner when we
bought the house
6 years ago (I'm figuring at least 10 - 12 years old).
The freezer section is fine, but the fridge is definately not as cold
as it should be -
Can't give you a temp reading, but Milk/meats are not lasting as long
as they should.
The house does have Central Air and is comfortable whenever we're home.
Is it worth getting repaired ?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JayD wrote:
I have a GE side x side Fridge/Freezer-
Don't know how old - we bought it from the previous homeowner when we
bought the house
6 years ago (I'm figuring at least 10 - 12 years old).
The freezer section is fine, but the fridge is definately not as cold
as it should be -
Can't give you a temp reading, but Milk/meats are not lasting as long
as they should.
The house does have Central Air and is comfortable whenever we're home.
Is it worth getting repaired ?
Thanks.

So turn it colder... or do you already have it on the coldest setting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dano wrote:
So turn it colder... or do you already have it on the coldest setting?

Yes, it's already @ coldest setting

Posted to alt.home.repair

F. H. wrote:

JayD wrote:

I have a GE side x side Fridge/Freezer-
Don't know how old - we bought it from the previous homeowner when we
bought the house
6 years ago (I'm figuring at least 10 - 12 years old).
The freezer section is fine, but the fridge is definately not as cold
as it should be -
Can't give you a temp reading, but Milk/meats are not lasting as long
as they should.
The house does have Central Air and is comfortable whenever we're home.
Is it worth getting repaired ? Thanks.

Just went through similar situation (see header "Refrigerator only
partially cooling" 7/27 for some posted suggestions. We had a guy
come out to fix ours and the first thing he did was pull a tray out of
the freezer side which revealed a wall of ice on the back of that
compartment.

Translation: Two parts that controls the auto defrost were not working.
One was called (def limiter) the other (def control). 142.00 parts,
82.00 labor. Good luck.

Good post F.H., that is a typical problem.

Also, check to see if the condenser fan is blowing air and that the
condenser coils are clean.

Additionally, push the door button down so you can check if the
evaporator fan is running & moving air.
- udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Turning a refrig colder is like pushing the accelerator on a car. If
the unit is working, you get more action. If it's out of gas, you
don't get no satisfaction.

1) Vaccum the dust from the coils under or behind the fridge.
2) Open fridge door and ch eck for air flow coming from the freezer
side
3) Go around back, and see if compressor and fan are both running

Let us know what you find.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"JayD" wrote in message
ps.com...

Dano wrote:
So turn it colder... or do you already have it on the coldest

setting?
Yes, it's already @ coldest setting

Posted to alt.home.repair

Set both knobs in the middle of the range. If you crank em both up to
highest, you get a cold freezer, and warm fridge. Adjust one letter or
number per 24 hour day.

Vacuum dust from below, and behind fridge.
Check for frozen (someone else mentioned opening the back of the
freezer section).

If it's cooling at all, it's probably worth fixing.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"JayD" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a GE side x side Fridge/Freezer-
Don't know how old - we bought it from the previous homeowner when we
bought the house
6 years ago (I'm figuring at least 10 - 12 years old).
The freezer section is fine, but the fridge is definately not as cold
as it should be -
Can't give you a temp reading, but Milk/meats are not lasting as long
as they should.
The house does have Central Air and is comfortable whenever we're
home.
Is it worth getting repaired ?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy a new unit you might save 66% on electrical usage,. and wait till
the bills go up..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting New Fridge - A few Questions.

m Ransley wrote:
Buy a new unit you might save 66% on electrical usage,. and wait till
the bills go up..

Ok.... we decided to go ahead and get a new fridge.
Went to our local "Appliance Superstore" and got a good price on a GE
23cu ft Side X side for $1k

http://www.pcrichard.com/CGI-BIN/LAN...3EC07X+PCR+ENG

What's the rep for GE fridges these days ?
I'm a little concerned about how all the controls are push button.

What's the deal with extended warranties?
With all the electronic controls on this thing, I can't imagine it
going 10 years without something breaking. We plan on keeping this till
it drops - Is an extended warranty worth it for something like this? (I
know the general consensus is they're a ripoff, but I can see how 1
service call on this thing can be a few hundred bucks)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JayD" wrote in message
Ok.... we decided to go ahead and get a new fridge.
Went to our local "Appliance Superstore" and got a good price on a GE
23cu ft Side X side for $1k

http://www.pcrichard.com/CGI-BIN/LAN...3EC07X+PCR+ENG

What's the rep for GE fridges these days ?
I'm a little concerned about how all the controls are push button.

So, so quality. IMO, there are better brands.

What's the deal with extended warranties?

Very profitable if you are selling them. Find ot what it costs, put hte
moneyin the bank, come out way ahead over the years.