Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY store IDJITS!

I gotta ask, do they have a mandatory IQ test to get a job at Lowes or
Home Depot?? I]m guessing they do, and if you do not come in , in the
bottom 10% no job for you.
( Apologies to DIY store folks reading who actually know what they are
doing)

During a big remodel project, I send the wife to Lowes to get either a
reducing T (3/4-3/4 to 1/2" CPVC) or a reducing bushing, or a reducing
coupling. I need probably 20 of these. Well, the wife who is pretty
astute with most aspects of DIY stuff except plumbing............comes
back with a bag full of stuff NOT my 1st choice of the reducing T's but
stuff that will get me from 3/4 to 1/2".

Being in the middle of anther aspect of the remodel I shelved the bag
to use later. Well, last nite is "later" I got the bag out, opened it
up.............much to my surprise/dismay.........the bag is full of
1"-3/4 " reducing stuff.

Now, I distinctly remember the wife calling to ask specific sizes when
the Lowes idjit was trying to put the needed plumbing bits together,
she had specifically asked for 3/4" to 1/2" reducing stuff, had showed
the idjit the sizes , and even the drawing in her notebook........and
he kept assuring her that what he put together was what she needed.

I just have to wonder........"WHY" ? Why would the idjit do that,
unless he was simply.............an Idjit? This wasn't a kid either, it
was an adult middle aged man. Of course, I guess I just answered my own
question right?? If he is working at Lowes at 45-50 years
old............

Ok, sorry to blow off, but this is not the 1st time this has happened
at the big 2 DIY stores ( both of which are a 35 mile round trip from
me).

I guess my own intelligence should be questioned too, as far as why I
keep going there.

Oh well
Take care ya'll
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You can thank Mr.Bob Nardelli, HD's current CEO for that. Back when Arthur
Blank and Bernie Marcus ran it, the aisles were filled with tradespeople who
knew their stuff-- plumbers, electricians, carpenters. Since Nardelli took
over, he fired all the knowledgeable people to save money and put one former
burger flipper in every three aisles.

That's his ideas of how to run a retail business-- I think he knows zip,
zero, nada. What can you expect from a guy who came from GE. I guess he
knows all about how to manufacture railroad locomotives, jet engines and
refrigerators though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

steve wrote:
[...]

Well, if you want knowledgeable service, shop at a store that hires
them. Clue, it ain't the big box stores...oh, right, everybody shops
at the big boxes due to the cheap prices thus running the good shops
out of business and then complain about the poor service.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
I gotta ask, do they have a mandatory IQ test to get a job at Lowes or
Home Depot?? I]m guessing they do, and if you do not come in , in the
bottom 10% no job for you.
( Apologies to DIY store folks reading who actually know what they are
doing)

Yes, it is a simple one question test.

Q. Will you work for $7.50 and hour and work nights, holidays and weekends?

If you answer "yes" report to the store manager for your assignment.

Ok, sorry to blow off, but this is not the 1st time this has happened
at the big 2 DIY stores ( both of which are a 35 mile round trip from
me).

I guess my own intelligence should be questioned too, as far as why I
keep going there.

Ah, yes. You know the old saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice
, , , , , ," Real hardware stores may or may not be better, but a plumbing
supply house certainly would have been. Time to find better, more reliable
sources.

Posted to alt.home.repair

steve wrote:

I gotta ask, do they have a mandatory IQ test to get a job at
Lowes or Home Depot?? I'm guessing they do, and if you do not
come in in the bottom 10%, no job for you. (Apologies to DIY
store folks reading who actually know what they are doing)

The problem as I see it is that these stores are becoming
understaffed and many to most of the staff lack creoo-department
knowledge and problem-solving skills. My HD (Ellicott City, MD)
has more "know" people than "no clue" people, you just have to
keep track of who's who.

Plumbing is the worst area in all stores because you really
want someone who is a plumber and they can make a lot more
money plumbing than they can make clerking! That is one of
the reasons DIY stores are a great workplace for disabled
tradesmen - they can really add value to any project.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

As a contractor and an occasional do-it-yourselfer I rarely send someone
else for materials. When I do it is only after I have called in the order
and verified the availability. Materials are too important for a job and
should not be taken lightly. I shop around for the best prices and that
usually means going to more than one supply house or home center to complete
my list.

Sometimes I have customers offer to go buy materials thinking that they will
save money. Although I cringe at the thought, I will give them a detailed
written list, tell them where to go, give them a few days to make the
purchases, and they always come back with an incomplete package.

When it comes to materials, you need to do it yourself. It is common
knowledge that the employees of big chain stores are hit and miss as to
their degree of expertise, attitude, and customer service skills. You just
cannot count on someone qualified to be there to help you. Unfortunately
shopping for materials is time consuming, but I consider it part of the
planning process. A great deal of planning that is done at the beginning
can be a big timesaver during the progress of the project. It always hurts
if you need to stop in the middle of a job to run out and get materials.

Posted to alt.home.repair

steve wrote:
[...]

It happens that I spoke with an old friend two days ago.
He's an ex rigger, ex construction generalist who I use for small
repairs.
He works in the lumber department of a Lowes, was "promoted" to manager
and asked to be demoted after three months. When he doesn't know the
answer to a customer's question, he calls an ex boss for information.
His current shift is 3:00 AM to Noon.

He notes that of all the local Lowes, his is the only one that passed a
recent inspection. Folks from his store were sent to other stores to
work with staff. The staff who were supposed to be learning from him
actually walked away when they saw a customer coming.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Real hardware stores may or may not be better, but a plumbing
supply house certainly would have been."

Maybe, but they often have a 2 tiered pricing scheme, one for
contractors and one for DIYers. If they can sell a contractor a hand
full of tees for $XX, why charge me $XX + 40%?
I don't go there except to fill large orders, and when I do I am
treated like a second classed citizen. From my viewpoint, their
business model is out dated, and they deserve to go out of business to
someone who gives contractor prices to anyone who walks in. I'd rather
get raped by bad service than overcharging, it is just sad that I must
make a choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...

"Real hardware stores may or may not be better, but a plumbing
supply house certainly would have been."

Maybe, but they often have a 2 tiered pricing scheme, one for
contractors and one for DIYers. If they can sell a contractor a hand
full of tees for $XX, why charge me $XX + 40%?
I don't go there except to fill large orders, and when I do I am
treated like a second classed citizen. From my viewpoint, their
business model is out dated, and they deserve to go out of business to
someone who gives contractor prices to anyone who walks in. I'd rather
get raped by bad service than overcharging, it is just sad that I must
make a choice.

Then don't complain about hte 35 mile trip to Lowes to get the wrong parts.
Add 40% to what you paid, plus the time and inconvenience and see just how
far ahead you are. There are a few supply houses that treat the DIY second
class, but there are a lot of DIY that treat the counter help the same way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Maker of Rules" alan@net wrote in message
news

"steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
I gotta ask, do they have a mandatory IQ test to get a job at Lowes or
Home Depot?? I]m guessing they do, and if you do not come in , in the
bottom 10% no job for you.SNIPS

"Maker of Rules" wrote:

You can thank Mr.Bob Nardelli, HD's current CEO for that. Back when Arthur
Blank and Bernie Marcus ran it, the aisles were filled with tradespeople

who
knew their stuff-- plumbers, electricians, carpenters. Since Nardelli took
over, he fired all the knowledgeable people to save money and put one

former
burger flipper in every three aisles.

That's his ideas of how to run a retail business-- I think he knows zip,
zero, nada. What can you expect from a guy who came from GE. I guess he
knows all about how to manufacture railroad locomotives, jet engines and
refrigerators though.

And you must be one of the burger flippers, right? Botttom 10 %

The OP specified Loews, not HD in his post.

Try to apply a little reading comprehension before unleashing your
ignorance here. Or, being in the bottom 10% are you incapable of reading?

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

At least I won't be insulted by someone whose skill level is so high that he
is working as a parts counter man. You know, the one who thinks I can't buy
a gallon of sealant, self tapping screws, or a R&R sensor without being a
contractor or "industry certified." And then being so stupid that I don't
know the same items are half that price anywhere else.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim McLaughlin" jim.mclaughlin wrote in message

"Maker of Rules" alan@net wrote in message
news

oups.com...

"Maker of Rules" wrote:

[...]

Re-read the OP Jimmie boy-- it starts out talking about both Lowes and HD
while the particular incident the OP related happened at Lowes. It is clear
that his comment applies to both.

Are you so literal minded with so little ability to exercise critical
thinking, generalize and abstract that you missed his original point-- and
my response?

What percentile does that put you at my lad?

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, so, you just took their word (wife, and the store guy) that they
got the right parts. Didn't check until the exact instant you wanted
to start work.

I'd like to nominate Steve for the Idjit award. Ladies and gentlemen
of the news group, do I have a second for my nomination?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"steve" wrote in message
oups.com...

Well, last nite is "later" I got the bag out, opened it
up.............much to my surprise/dismay.........

Oh well
Take care ya'll
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, I know what you mean about customer supplied parts. They think
they can save two dollars, or they think they are "helping". And the
part is wrong, or whatever. Very often they want you to share all your
years of exprience to tell them what to look for, or what to avoid.
And then at the end they want a discount cause they "helped". And if
you give em enough wisdom and pointers, they just get the holesaw, or
whatever, at the big box store, and do the job themselves. Which is
what they planned, all along.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree that it is you with the problem, not the store.

Why in the world would you even entertain the idea that these guys
are anything but untrained sales clerks?

They did their job perfectly - they sold an idiot a part, just like
they were supposed to.

If you want expert advice, call the experts. Licensed journeyment
are trained.

On 4 Jul 2006 05:34:49 -0700, "steve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Then don't complain about hte 35 mile trip to Lowes to get the wrong
parts."

I don't;
a: usually get the wrong parts
b: travel more than 5 miles
c: need that much help in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I needed some sweat on copper fittings, so went to HD. I found them, and
got a "contractor pack" of ten or so in a sealed plastic bag. But I needed
15, so I got five loose ones.

I got up to the checkout lane, and there weren't any bar codes on the
individuals. I said just to figure out how much they were by the price for
the bag and dividing by ten. She looked as if I had asked her to perform
oral sex or a complicated calculus operation.

She called for the manager. The line piled up. She called for the manager.
The line got longer. People were starting to talk. I said, for Chrissake,
charge me for a bag. Said she couldn't scan an item twice. Against company
policy and she would lose her job.

We waited longer.

After about ten minutes, I walked out, leaving about $250 in merchandise
sitting there.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

We don't have Lowes here but HD and Rona(Canadian). All the fittings I saw
has little sticker attached to it with description and UPC code.
And all the boxes on the shelf holding them are clearly marked what it
contains.

Bahahaha... Have you ever actually checked the contents of these well marked
bins? More often than not they contain a mix of all the stuff found in that
aisle. The smaller the part, the more mixed up it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Harry K wrote:
steve wrote:
[...]

I don't give a woohoo about the prices, the only reason I go to HD or
Lowes is the giant stock. As much as I appreciate the local hardware
store and am more than willing to pay extra, the chances that I can get
a 7 millimeter widget with left hand thread, stainless steel, that I
need to get the bathroom functional again on Saturday night is pretty
low. Of course, I find myself wandering from one HD/Lowes to another
these days, since many of them are out of stock on all the esoteric
stuff and many of the smaller neighborhood strip mall stores just don't
stock them at all.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

steve wrote:
[...]

Went to help a friend, female, who wanted to put some shelves up in a
closet for the kiddies' toys, about 18" wide by a foot front to back.
HD set her up with slabs of 3/4 inch plywood, shelf brackets with arms
12" by 18", and 1/4" toggle bolts. By the time I got there, the wall
was already perforated with giant holes for the toggle bolts, which
were pulling through the wallboard from behind, just from the weight of
the plywood and brackets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We don't have Lowes here but HD and Rona(Canadian). All the
fittings I saw has little sticker attached to it with description
and UPC code. And all the boxes on the shelf holding them are
clearly marked what it contains.

Bahahaha... Have you ever actually checked the contents of these
well marked bins? More often than not they contain a mix of all
the stuff found in that aisle. The smaller the part, the more
mixed up it is.

At Loew's I always have all my items priced at the register before I
take out my cash or card. Otherwise they make you "return" the high
priced (stainless steel etc) stuff that got mixed in with the cheap
stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
steve wrote:
[...]

Hi,
We don't have Lowes here but HD and Rona(Canadian). All the fittings I saw
has little sticker attached to it with description and UPC code.
And all the boxes on the shelf holding them are clearly marked what it
contains.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Besides, there's a big size difference
between 1", 3/4", and 1/2" pipe. Not trying to diss the wife in question,
but I've personally never had a problem differentiating between fitting
sizes.

I go to the Home Despot and Lowe's because they have people who are
knowledgable about what they STOCK, not for advice on what to buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY store IDJITS! Stumpy

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I'd like to nominate Stormy for the Idjit award. Ladies and gentlemen
of the news group, do I have a second for my nomination?

Vote for the sure winner Stumped Moron.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

steve wrote:
[...]

Dat's nize but once again your posts help no one.
--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:
Harry K wrote:
steve wrote:
[...]

Good point. I do the same but I don't complain about poor service.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in

We don't have Lowes here but HD and Rona(Canadian). All the fittings
I saw has little sticker attached to it with description and UPC
code. And all the boxes on the shelf holding them are clearly marked
what it contains.

Bahahaha... Have you ever actually checked the contents of these well
marked bins? More often than not they contain a mix of all the stuff
found in that aisle. The smaller the part, the more mixed up it is.

Have you ever watch the customers (no I don't work there) grab something,
look at it then just throw it back wherever?

I was in HD the other day. Woman comes up to me and asks is this what I
have to get to put on top of the tape on the walls to fix it? I don't
know why people keep choosing me to ask stuff. I don't have an orange
thingy on nor wear orange anything. She had a bucket of thinset in her
hand mind you. I'm like no. You need drywall mud. It's over in that
corner of the store against the wall. She bends forward, puts the bucket
on the floor in front of her on the floor in the aisle and walks away
towards where I described. I guess she could have not bent over and just
dropped it.

That's how **** gets mixed up. Think what kind of havoc she would raise
in the plumbing section!

I hope she spent an hour looking for the bucket that said Drywall Mud. If
I had known she was going to just leave that thinset in the aisle where
she stood I would have told her to use roofing cement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in

I needed some sweat on copper fittings, so went to HD. I found them,
and got a "contractor pack" of ten or so in a sealed plastic bag. But
I needed 15, so I got five loose ones.

I got up to the checkout lane, and there weren't any bar codes on the
individuals. I said just to figure out how much they were by the
price for the bag and dividing by ten. She looked as if I had asked
her to perform oral sex or a complicated calculus operation.

She called for the manager. The line piled up. She called for the
manager. The line got longer. People were starting to talk. I said,
for Chrissake, charge me for a bag. Said she couldn't scan an item
twice. Against company policy and she would lose her job.

We waited longer.

After about ten minutes, I walked out, leaving about $250 in
merchandise sitting there.

Steve

I went to Lowes a few days back and returned something on the way in. It
was 9.64 total. She opens the drawer and says she got no change. She
calls someplace. Wait, wait, wait. Calls again, wait, someone shows. Says
to her what do you want. She says change. He tells her he will have to
get the safe opened to get it. Line grows....and grows.

So I says to her you got a 10 dollar bill. She says yes. I says gimme
that and I'll give you 36 cents. She says she can't do that because the
register won't come out right later. I'm like huh? WTF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"steve" wrote in news:1152016488.469528.109070
@h44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

[...]

I go to HD a lot. I learned the people who really know stuff, aka they
really have done stuff. They do it professionally during the day or
before leaving the line of work. These you seek out if you need some
info. You get to know them and they get to know you. Some are extremely
knowledgeable. The high rotation faces you skip.

Then the other side of the coin. I bring a coupling in that needs an o-
ring. I was just gonna look til I found it. Wasn't sure if it was with
the pressure washers or just general plumbing. So Mr. You can Do It, We
Can Help approaches and ask what I need. I says an o-ring for this.
Figure save me the time of hunting for it. He grabs a pack of assorted
FLAT sink washers and hands it to me. Must be what he hands people no
matter what they need. I'm thinking woa put this one out with the plants
and bags of ****. I says thanks. He walks away. I find o-rings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Noozer wrote:

We don't have Lowes here but HD and Rona(Canadian). All the fittings I saw
has little sticker attached to it with description and UPC code.
And all the boxes on the shelf holding them are clearly marked what it
contains.

Bahahaha... Have you ever actually checked the contents of these well marked
bins? More often than not they contain a mix of all the stuff found in that
aisle. The smaller the part, the more mixed up it is.

Hi,
That's some of us customers doing. Not putting things back into right
bins after looking at them. They only think themselves, selfish slobs.
Same kind of human beings who don't pick after their beloved dog. I see
them all the time out walking my dog. There is 250.00 fine for that but
they still do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:

steve wrote:

[...]

I am laughing out loud, sorry. Feel really sorry for her!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote in
:

[...]

Although I like HD, they get an Aw-**** from my last trip.

Putting up new shelving in a large closet. I had one shelf bracket with
a hanger rod loop. Standard 10-12" bracket.

------------
| / | |
| / --
| /
| /
|/

Get everything set mounting. On a HD trip I pick up two more brackets.
Only 3 bucks a piece, Std white painted metal. Shelf all cut and fitted
on side wall supports. Put new brackets up. The front of the shelf is
touching the end of the bracket but where shelf meets wall there is a
decent gap. Premounted shelf with levels and square. I check wall to
perpendicular shelf with a framing square again. Fine. Besides. The one
shelf bracket I had fit fine. Could that bracket be messed up? Checked
with framing square. Fine. I check the two I just bought.The damn things
are not 90 degrees. Pretty sad that a simple fixed shelf bracket is not
90 degrees. This I would expect from WalMart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jul 2006 05:34:49 -0700, "steve" wrote:

Ok, sorry to blow off, but this is not the 1st time this has happened
at the big 2 DIY stores ( both of which are a 35 mile round trip from
me).

I guess my own intelligence should be questioned too, as far as why I
keep going there.

Weeelll. If you suspect the hired help aint up to expectations how
about providing a sketch of the parts so that both your wife and the
store clerk have a pretty good idea of exactly what you want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 12:11:57 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

She called for the manager. The line piled up. She called for the manager.
The line got longer. People were starting to talk. I said, for Chrissake,
charge me for a bag. Said she couldn't scan an item twice. Against company
policy and she would lose her job.

We waited longer.

After about ten minutes, I walked out, leaving about $250 in merchandise
sitting there.

Steve

In this time and day when small video cameras are so cheap and easy to
install it should be easy enough to install one or more (close up +
overview) at every checkout counter. The manager can then go to a
cash register terminal anywhere in the store, get the picture and make
a decision. He/she should be able to make an electronic approval too
from his remote terminal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 05:12:12 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
That's some of us customers doing. Not putting things back into right
bins after looking at them. They only think themselves, selfish slobs.
Same kind of human beings who don't pick after their beloved dog. I see
them all the time out walking my dog. There is 250.00 fine for that but
they still do.

That only hardware. Wait till you see the spoilage in the grocery
stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

Could that bracket be messed up? Checked
with framing square. Fine. I check the two I just bought.The damn things
are not 90 degrees. Pretty sad that a simple fixed shelf bracket is not
90 degrees. This I would expect from WalMart.

Why? The both buy from the cheapest suppliers and do everything they can to
drive prices down. Could have even been damage from shipping. Consumes
expect low prices, but they forget they are giving up something to get it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's a really good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:KTtrg.8$hb3.3@trndny04:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

Could that bracket be messed up? Checked
with framing square. Fine. I check the two I just bought.The damn
things are not 90 degrees. Pretty sad that a simple fixed shelf
bracket is not 90 degrees. This I would expect from WalMart.

Why? The both buy from the cheapest suppliers and do everything they
can to drive prices down. Could have even been damage from shipping.
Consumes expect low prices, but they forget they are giving up
something to get it.

You are absolutely correct but did not look damaged at all. Both pieces
exactly the same.

Stopped by Blue Big Box. Ones I got there were square, a buck cheaper and
flimsier. Further support for your statement.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JDL JDL is offline

wrote in
oups.com:

Their all a bunch of dim bulbs over at GE.

You can thank Mr.Bob Nardelli, HD's current CEO for that. Back when
Arthur Blank and Bernie Marcus ran it, the aisles were filled with
tradespeople who knew their stuff-- plumbers, electricians,
carpenters. Since Nardelli took over, he fired all the knowledgeable
people to save money and put one former burger flipper in every three
aisles.

That's his ideas of how to run a retail business-- I think he knows
zip, zero, nada. What can you expect from a guy who came from GE. I
guess he knows all about how to manufacture railroad locomotives, jet
engines and refrigerators though.

That's how large companies are ran these days. All they care about are
the bottom line expense figures on some spreadsheet program. All they
care about are raw numbers. But they're hurting their future sales
figures. Customers will gradually head back to Lowe's or to their local
mom and pop hardware store (ours is owned by a former general
contractor). I prefer Lowe's over HD because it seems that Lowe's has
more employees, so you don't have to walk 2000 feet to find an employee
when you're trying to find a particular item. Plus Lowe's seems to have
better selection of items and is hardly ever out of stock.