Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default DIY store IDJITS!

Harry K wrote:
steve wrote:
I gotta ask, do they have a mandatory IQ test to get a job at Lowes or
Home Depot?? I]m guessing they do, and if you do not come in , in the
bottom 10% no job for you.
( Apologies to DIY store folks reading who actually know what they are
doing)

During a big remodel project, I send the wife to Lowes to get either a
reducing T (3/4-3/4 to 1/2" CPVC) or a reducing bushing, or a reducing
coupling. I need probably 20 of these. Well, the wife who is pretty
astute with most aspects of DIY stuff except plumbing............comes
back with a bag full of stuff NOT my 1st choice of the reducing T's but
stuff that will get me from 3/4 to 1/2".

Being in the middle of anther aspect of the remodel I shelved the bag
to use later. Well, last nite is "later" I got the bag out, opened it
up.............much to my surprise/dismay.........the bag is full of
1"-3/4 " reducing stuff.

Now, I distinctly remember the wife calling to ask specific sizes when
the Lowes idjit was trying to put the needed plumbing bits together,
she had specifically asked for 3/4" to 1/2" reducing stuff, had showed
the idjit the sizes , and even the drawing in her notebook........and
he kept assuring her that what he put together was what she needed.

I just have to wonder........"WHY" ? Why would the idjit do that,
unless he was simply.............an Idjit? This wasn't a kid either, it
was an adult middle aged man. Of course, I guess I just answered my own
question right?? If he is working at Lowes at 45-50 years
old............

Ok, sorry to blow off, but this is not the 1st time this has happened
at the big 2 DIY stores ( both of which are a 35 mile round trip from
me).

I guess my own intelligence should be questioned too, as far as why I
keep going there.

Oh well
Take care ya'll
Steve

Well, if you want knowledgeable service, shop at a store that hires
them. Clue, it ain't the big box stores...oh, right, everybody shops
at the big boxes due to the cheap prices thus running the good shops
out of business and then complain about the poor service.

I don't give a woohoo about the prices, the only reason I go to HD or
Lowes is the giant stock. As much as I appreciate the local hardware
store and am more than willing to pay extra, the chances that I can get
a 7 millimeter widget with left hand thread, stainless steel, that I
need to get the bathroom functional again on Saturday night is pretty
low. Of course, I find myself wandering from one HD/Lowes to another
these days, since many of them are out of stock on all the esoteric
stuff and many of the smaller neighborhood strip mall stores just don't
stock them at all.

Harry K