John

Default $49 Ryobi OS sander at the Borg

I can confirm an earlier post, the local Borg (HD) has the Ryobi OS
sander, normally $99, marked down to $49. Not exact my DREAM OS
sander, but for $49, one followed me home this afternoon

Hefty bugger for such a cheap thing.

John

loutent

Hi John,

Although I bought the Delta OSS for $152 from
Amazon, I too almost convinced myself on the
Ryobi (then $99). How can you go wrong for
$49 for casual use? Nice heavy top and all the
inserts too.

For heavy use, buy 2 and toss the first
when it misbehaves!

Hope it works out for you.

Lou

In article , John
wrote:

I can confirm an earlier post, the local Borg (HD) has the Ryobi OS
sander, normally $99, marked down to $49. Not exact my DREAM OS
sander, but for $49, one followed me home this afternoon

Hefty bugger for such a cheap thing.

John

Chuck

Do you have a product number for the $50 Ryobi sander? The only one I
can find on homedepot.com is a cheapo Ryobi ROS for $35. (model number
RS241).

emelbee

I'm guessing it is the OSS500. See http://tinyurl.com/4g4wd .

I'm going to go to HD at lunchtime today and take a look.

--mike

In article .com,
says...
Do you have a product number for the $50 Ryobi sander? The only one I
can find on homedepot.com is a cheapo Ryobi ROS for $35. (model number
RS241).

I went yesterday, a lot of Borgs are out of it, all in fact in NJ. The
Ryobi model is indeed OSS500, and I was told it was being discontinued,
hence the clearance price. Since Ryobi is generally a "house" brand
for HD, I wonder about that.

emelbee wrote:
I'm guessing it is the OSS500. See http://tinyurl.com/4g4wd .

I'm going to go to HD at lunchtime today and take a look.

--mike

In article .com,
says...
Do you have a product number for the $50 Ryobi sander? The only one

can find on homedepot.com is a cheapo Ryobi ROS for $35. (model

number
RS241).

patrick conroy

"John" wrote in message

I can confirm an earlier post, the local Borg (HD) has the Ryobi OS
sander, normally $99, marked down to $49. Not exact my DREAM OS
sander, but for $49, one followed me home this afternoon

I only own two Ryobi tools - the OSS is one. I like it. I think you'll like
it too.

John

Register receipt says - 033287125777 Spindle Sander

The Ryobi model is OSS500

John

On 26 Jan 2005 08:05:51 -0800, "Chuck" wrote:

Do you have a product number for the $50 Ryobi sander? The only one I
can find on homedepot.com is a cheapo Ryobi ROS for $35. (model number
RS241).

John

Max -

Ok, I'll bite. What comparable products ARE made by Porter Cable
(none that i can find) or Dewalt (none that I can find) or Rigid for
$59???

John

"John" wrote in message

I can confirm an earlier post, the local Borg (HD) has the Ryobi OS
sander, normally $99, marked down to $49. Not exact my DREAM OS
sander, but for $49, one followed me home this afternoon

I only own two Ryobi tools - the OSS is one. I like it. I think you'll like
it too.

patrick conroy

"max" wrote in message

Yeah but why bother when the much superior Ridgid, Dewalt and PC can be

had
for $10 more?
max

Rigid, DeWalt and PC make Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sanders?
Didn't know that!

Also didn't know they're selling their OSSs for $59...

Mebbe you thought the OP was talking about an ROS?

Ron Magen

I'd sure like to know where you guys are shopping ??

Went over to the local Borg this afternoon. Had a 'used' unit on display
{thin spindle/sanding roll gummed up, other rollers & parts laying beside
it} - marked down to $87 {from the original $99}. The only guy there {'bad'
English and obviously not a clue}checked, then said it was the last one and
couldn't sell it. Also NO more on order.

Figured I'd talk to the manager, make 'him' an offer . . . {can't sell it,
can't return it to Ryobi - it's obviously used with no box, instructions,
etc.}. An 'as is' used unit, that may not even work {it was returned for
SOME reason}, I mentally figured $25 was fair. Anyway, asked to see the
Manager at 'Customer Service'. 'She' wasn't there, so they paged her. A
while later the girl I talked to asked me what I wanted to talk about. I
gave her the highlights. A bit later, with the phone to her ear, she asked
me again - 'translating' to the manager {in the break room, on the other
side of the store, 5-minutes away ???}. Asked me what it was marked, then
said, ' $50 and 'as is' '. When I said it may not even work, all she did was
shrug her shoulders.

I just shook my head and walked out . . . obviously they would rather 'eat
it' than but income toward overhead. Yet they are corporately growing . . .
everything to the 'lowest common denominator' of intelligence.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"John" wrote in message
Register receipt says - 033287125777 Spindle Sander

The Ryobi model is OSS500

John

On 26 Jan 2005 08:05:51 -0800, "Chuck" wrote:

Do you have a product number for the $50 Ryobi sander? The only one I
can find on homedepot.com is a cheapo Ryobi ROS for $35. (model number
RS241).

alexy

John wrote:

Max -

Ok, I'll bite. What comparable products ARE made by Porter Cable
(none that i can find) or Dewalt (none that I can find) or Rigid for
$59???

John

Yeah, I don't know what Max is referring to, either. HD has a Rigid
unit for $200, but it has both oscillating belt and spindle.

"John" wrote in message

I can confirm an earlier post, the local Borg (HD) has the Ryobi OS
sander, normally $99, marked down to $49. Not exact my DREAM OS
sander, but for $49, one followed me home this afternoon

I only own two Ryobi tools - the OSS is one. I like it. I think you'll like
it too.

Charlie Self

Ron Magen writes:

Asked me what it was marked, then
said, ' $50 and 'as is' '. When I said it may not even work, all she did was
shrug her shoulders.

I just shook my head and walked out . . . obviously they would rather 'eat
it' than but income toward overhead. Yet they are corporately growing . . .
everything to the 'lowest common denominator' of intelligence.

Some day, I'd like to see "same store" figures on actual growth for places like
Lowe's, HD, WalMart. They continue to grow, leaping and bounding across the
prairies and the mountains, but I don't think individual stores are growing all
that much. I live in an area where five years ago, there were probably two
WalMart stores and one Lowe's. We now have two Lowe's (and one HD), but
something close to 10 WMs in a 40 mile radius (that may be way on the low side:
I haven't really checked around Lynchburg, and I didn't count the two Sam's
which is nothing but WM on steroids).

The concept is simple: move into a new area, push evveryone else to the wall,
grow like crazy for two or three yeas, then go down the road four or five miles
(or less) and build a new store which does the same.

I wonder if it never occurs to the MBAs who foist this off as business planning
that there really is a finite number of people in this world with the money to
buy the products they want to sell. If it never occurs to them, then they are
even stupider than I think they are...and that is damned near impossible.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000

Charlie Self wrote:
Ron Magen writes:

[...]

That'e why they are refferred to as the Borg here. They come in
asssimilate and spread and are one.

Dave Hall

Excerpts from Home Depot's 2003 10-K filing with the SEC show that same
stores increased sales by 3.8% and that there is a specific intent to
open new stores within the fringes of existing stores areas and they
measure the "cannibalization" impact of these decisions. I am sure that
you can find the same info for Wal-Mart and Lowes in their 10-K's,
available on the SEC's web-site. BTW, Charlie, those "stupid" MBA's
seemed to have created a $65 billion business.

From Home Depot's 10-K:

"Fiscal 2003 Compared to Fiscal 2002

Net Sales for fiscal 2003 increased 11.3% to $64.8 billion from $58.2
billion in fiscal 2002. Fiscal 2003 Net Sales growth was driven by an
increase in comparable store sales of 3.8%, sales from the 175 new
stores opened during fiscal 2003 and sales from the 203 new stores
opened during fiscal 2002. We plan to open 175 new stores during the
fiscal year ending January 30, 2005 ("fiscal 2004"). We expect Net
Sales growth of 9% to 12% for fiscal 2004 driven by comparable store
sales, the planned addition of 175 new stores and sales from the 175
stores opened during fiscal 2003.

The increase in comparable store sales in fiscal 2003 reflects a number
of factors. Comparable store sales in fiscal 2003 were positive in 10
of the 11 selling departments. Our lawn and garden category was the
biggest driver of the increase in comparable store sales for fiscal
2003, reflecting strong sales in outdoor power equipment, including
John Deere=AE tractors and walk-behind mowers, as well as snow throwers
and snow blowers. Lumber was another strong category during fiscal
2003, driven primarily by commodity price inflation. Additionally, we
had strong sales growth in our kitchen and bath categories and in our
paint department reflecting the positive impact of new merchandising
initiatives. During fiscal 2003, we added our Appliance initiative to
826 of our stores bringing the total number of stores with our
Appliance initiative to 1,569 as of the end of fiscal 2003.
Additionally, during fiscal 2003, each store was set with our new Color
Solutions Center, which drove sales growth in interior and exterior
paint, as well as pressure washers. Finally, our comparable store
sales growth in fiscal 2003 reflects the impact of cannibalization.

In order to meet our customer service objectives, we strategically open
stores near market areas served by existing stores ("cannibalize")
to enhance service levels, gain incremental sales and increase market
penetration. As of the end of fiscal 2003, certain new stores
cannibalized approximately 17% of our existing stores and we estimate
that store cannibalization reduced fiscal 2003 comparable store sales
by approximately 2.7%. Additionally, we believe that our sales
performance has been, and could continue to be, negatively impacted by
the level of competition that we encounter in various markets.
However, due to the highly-fragmented U.S. home improvement industry,
in which we estimate our market share is approximately 11%, measuring
the impact on our sales by our competitors is extremely difficult.

Comparable store sales in fiscal 2004 are expected to increase 3% to
6%. We expect our comparable store sales to be favorably impacted by
the introduction of innovative new and distinctive merchandise as well
as positive customer reaction to our store modernization program. Our
store modernization program, which includes merchandising resets,
complete store remodels and new signing, lighting and flooring
packages, is enhancing our customers' shopping experience. We do not
believe that changing prices for commodities will have a material
effect on Net Sales or results of operations in fiscal 2004. Our
projected fiscal 2004 comparable store sales increase reflects our
projected impact of cannibalization of approximately 2%. "

John

Max

Hard to believe since Porter Cable and Dewalt DON'T make one, and the
only thing comparable from Rigid is around $200

Is it possible you are confused as to what a OS sander is?
OSCILLATING SPINDLE SANDER?? weighs about 50pounds in the Ryobi
machine and comes in a box about 2x2x2?? Are you confusing this with
RO sander (random orbit sanders)??

Otherwise let us know the MODEL of the Rigid Oscillating Spindle
sander you bought for $59, they list for right at $200, and the PC333k
and the DW 421 ARE NOT Osciallating Spindle Sanders, they are Random
Orbit Sanders, sorta like comparing Golf Carts to Mac Trucks

Might want to read the postings a bit carefuller BEFORE stepping on
your wang with stuff like this

John

"John" wrote in message

I can confirm an earlier post, the local Borg (HD) has the Ryobi OS
sander, normally $99, marked down to $49. Not exact my DREAM OS
sander, but for $49, one followed me home this afternoon

I only own two Ryobi tools - the OSS is one. I like it. I think you'll like
it too.

alexy

max wrote:

I bought the Ridgid at Home Depot or $59. The PC 333k is $65 at Amazon and
the Dewalt DW 421 is $50 at Amazon
max

Max -

Okay. Looks like someone's speculation here was right. You apparently
thought the original poster's comment about a "Ryobi OS sander"
referred to a "Ryobi [Random] O[rbital] S[ander] sander" (otherwise
known as a "Ryobi ROS"), while the rest of us thought he was referring
to a "Ryobi O[scillating] S[pidle] sander", which is consistent with
other posts on this topic.

"John" wrote in message

I can confirm an earlier post, the local Borg (HD) has the Ryobi OS
sander, normally $99, marked down to $49. Not exact my DREAM OS
sander, but for $49, one followed me home this afternoon

I only own two Ryobi tools - the OSS is one. I like it. I think you'll like
it too.

Unquestionably Confused

Ron Magen wrote:
I'd sure like to know where you guys are shopping ??

Went over to the local Borg this afternoon. Had a 'used' unit on display
{thin spindle/sanding roll gummed up, other rollers & parts laying beside
it} - marked down to $87 {from the original $99}. The only guy there {'bad'
English and obviously not a clue}checked, then said it was the last one and
couldn't sell it. Also NO more on order.

[snip]
I just shook my head and walked out . . . obviously they would rather 'eat
it' than but income toward overhead. Yet they are corporately growing . . .
everything to the 'lowest common denominator' of intelligence.

Similar story here but with a MUCH happier ending. Third BORG I hit had
a single unit on display and marked down to $49.00. Clerk (cashier,
actually) checked for me and could not find another. Their computer
said they were out and none were expected.

No other area stores had one.

I asked to purchase the display model and asked her to get clearance to
do it while I went back and double-checked the display. I found it
complete and undamaged with the exception of no sanding drums (unit is
supposed to come with 18 drums of various size and grit), no manual and
no wrench. The inserts for the tabletop and all the rubber drums were
there.

She gained approval to sell the display unit at an additional 10%
discount but I, not wanting to have to spend ~$30 for the sandpaper
cylinders, said I'd pay the full $49 if they would give me three packs
of the sandpaper cylinders which they were selling for $9.88 each.

That was also approved but in order to register the sale and maintain
inventory control, they could not just "give" me them but had to charge
me a penny each.

Done deal! For $49.03 I got the same thing as the boxed version less a
stamped wrench and owners manual. Color me happy.

Bob