Posted to alt.home.repair
Michelle

Default bathroom - vinyl floor installation - didn't remove toilet

We just hired a flooring company to install my mother's floor. They
were supposed to removed the toilet to install the Armstrong vinyl
floor. The installer just cut around the toilet and then caulked
around it (poorly). I am worried water will get under it and ruin the
floor and subfloor. Will this installation be a problem over time? I
thought the toilet was always supposed to be picked up to install
flooring in a bathroom? I am not happy with the install because of
this but they refuse to do anything but recaulk around it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What do you have in writing? If the contract says that they have to do
it the right way, then make them redo it at their expense.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

I doubt it will cause any problems. The tile is only 1/8" thick, right?
It should have no effect whether if the toilet was removed or not. As
long as its caulked right. Does not have to be pretty, just waterproof.
The only problem I could see in the future is if one day you replace
the toilet, and the new one has a smaller base the the original, it
will show where the cuts were.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

Mikepier wrote:
I doubt it will cause any problems. The tile is only 1/8" thick, right?
It should have no effect whether if the toilet was removed or not. As
long as its caulked right. Does not have to be pretty, just waterproof.
The only problem I could see in the future is if one day you replace
the toilet, and the new one has a smaller base the the original, it
will show where the cuts were.

Just like to add the only time the toilet should be removed is during a
new mud job or ceramic tile installation. But as far as vinyl tile, I
really don't think its necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Michelle wrote:

We just hired a flooring company to install my mother's floor. They
were supposed to removed the toilet to install the Armstrong vinyl
floor. The installer just cut around the toilet and then caulked
around it (poorly). I am worried water will get under it and ruin the
floor and subfloor. Will this installation be a problem over time? I
thought the toilet was always supposed to be picked up to install
flooring in a bathroom? I am not happy with the install because of
this but they refuse to do anything but recaulk around it.

Be somewhat thankful they DIDN'T remove it. Sounds to me like if they're
the kind of outfit which doesen't deliver what they promised they might
have F'd up removing and replacing the toilet, like not using a new wax
ring or buggering up the water supply hardware.

Learn to live with it. I've noticed that the next annoying thing to come
down the line puts the previous one in perspective. G

Feel better now?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia