NC

Default laminate in the bathroom - negotiating the toilet !

All,
I am thinking of laying quick-step laminate tiles in the athroom. However,
anyone got any tips for how to do it round the bottom of the toilet and sink
?? Cutting to size and leaving a 10mm gap isn't a wory - but what do I
fill/cover the gaps with ??

Cheers,
Neil

RichardS

"NC" wrote in message
All,
I am thinking of laying quick-step laminate tiles in the athroom. However,
anyone got any tips for how to do it round the bottom of the toilet and

sink
?? Cutting to size and leaving a 10mm gap isn't a wory - but what do I
fill/cover the gaps with ??

Cheers,
Neil

I left a 5mm gap as per the instructions on the particular laminate I used,
and then used coloured silicone sealant to fill/seal the gap.

Even if you manage to find some other means of covering the gap I'd say that
sealing it was essential, due to the high probablility of water penetration
during cleaning.

As an aside, although manufacturers specify a specific, fixed, expansion gap
around the room, this must _surely_ depend upon the dimensions of the room
where the flooring is laid? Therefore, if it's a small bathroom I would
have thought that you could probably get away with a much smaller gap than
the normal recommended one. Conversely, for a particularly large room I
would have thought that a larger gap would be needed.

cheers
Richard
--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

NC

Thanks for the tip - the expansion gap is normally in the small print as a
certain mm per m or floor - and is generally estimated at 10mm.

Anyone know if I would need additional sealant on the floor for quickstep
laminate 800 tiles ??

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"NC" wrote in message
[...]

Troy

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:49:51 +0100, NC wrote:

I have NO expereince of this and would prefer to avoid taking the toilet and
sink off to fit under it !

Until quite recently I also had NO experience of this. I've just done
something similar and it was a lot easier than I had imagined - looks good
too. Put off doing it for weeks because I was scared - what a relief when
it all went so easily. Wouldn't advise doing it if it's your *only* toilet
though.

As for the tiling .... that's another matter :-(((
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.

Fitting bathroom suite. Mark UK diy 6 August 15th 03 11:32 PM
Bathroom Flooring Fishter UK diy 4 August 1st 03 04:06 PM
wood laminate flooring Daniel UK diy 9 July 24th 03 02:33 PM
Redoing Bathroom - Help Please?? rakster UK diy 3 July 21st 03 10:55 PM