A. Jacobs

Default how to remove vinyl bathroom floor

I need to remove and replace the bathroom vinyl floor.
There is water leak from the tub into below the vinyl floor and cause the
vinyl to change darken color.
I heard that its impossible to remove vinyl floor and need to cut out the
entire particle board wooden sub-floor.
Is this correct?
Thank you for your advise.

Fred

"A. Jacobs" wrote in message
m...
I need to remove and replace the bathroom vinyl floor.
There is water leak from the tub into below the vinyl floor and cause the
vinyl to change darken color.
I heard that its impossible to remove vinyl floor and need to cut out the
entire particle board wooden sub-floor.
Is this correct?
Thank you for your advise.

Don't rip up the subfloor just the underlayment above it. Its usually 1/4"
particle board. You need to verify what you have underneath before you
adjust you circular saw for a 1/4" deep cut and let her rip.

I think you're screwed (very time consuming to remove that is) if its glued
directly to the subfloor.

I also have a small corner by the bathtub that needed to be repaired but I
try to remove just that portion of the vinyl and damaged wood and patch it
up with a matching section. May end up ripping the whole bathroom floor or
lay another floor (laminate) over the existing vinyl, but I'll try to save
it first.

A. Jacobs

seems like the vinyl is glued to the bathroom floor. How can I tell for
certain?
Only 3 square inches of the bathroom changes color.
How do I remove & replace the entire bathroom vinyl, many be with ceramic
tile?

Don't rip up the subfloor just the underlayment above it. Its usually 1/4"
particle board. You need to verify what you have underneath before you
adjust you circular saw for a 1/4" deep cut and let her rip.

I think you're screwed (very time consuming to remove that is) if its

glued
directly to the subfloor.

I also have a small corner by the bathtub that needed to be repaired but I
try to remove just that portion of the vinyl and damaged wood and patch it
up with a matching section. May end up ripping the whole bathroom floor or
lay another floor (laminate) over the existing vinyl, but I'll try to save
it first.

Fred

"A. Jacobs" wrote in message
m...
seems like the vinyl is glued to the bathroom floor. How can I tell for
certain?

Remove the entry transition piece at the bottom of the bathroom door and
have a look if you can. Otherwise you could use a hole saw and drill down
1/4" at the damaged area.

Only 3 square inches of the bathroom changes color.
How do I remove & replace the entire bathroom vinyl, many be with ceramic
tile?

Most likely it has a 1/4" particle board underlayment, use a circular saw as
suggested below.

I wouldn't put tile on second floor, usually cracks given enough time due to
house movement but that's just me.

Don't rip up the subfloor just the underlayment above it. Its usually
1/4"
particle board. You need to verify what you have underneath before you
adjust you circular saw for a 1/4" deep cut and let her rip.

I think you're screwed (very time consuming to remove that is) if its

glued
directly to the subfloor.

I also have a small corner by the bathtub that needed to be repaired but
try to remove just that portion of the vinyl and damaged wood and patch
it
up with a matching section. May end up ripping the whole bathroom floor
or
lay another floor (laminate) over the existing vinyl, but I'll try to
save
it first.

A. Jacobs

If you do not recommend tile, what do you recommend for bathroom floor,
other than vinyl?

"Fred" wrote in message
I wouldn't put tile on second floor, usually cracks given enough time due

house movement but that's just me.

Fred

"A. Jacobs" wrote in message
If you do not recommend tile, what do you recommend for bathroom floor,
other than vinyl?

I use laminate flooring its not as water tight as vinyl but you could
replace sections of it instead ripping the whole vinyl or tile flooring.
With laminate you need to be more careful to seal around all the edges
against water intrusion.

"Fred" wrote in message
I wouldn't put tile on second floor, usually cracks given enough time due

house movement but that's just me.

G Henslee

A. Jacobs wrote:
seems like the vinyl is glued to the bathroom floor. How can I tell for
certain?
Only 3 square inches of the bathroom changes color.
How do I remove & replace the entire bathroom vinyl, many be with ceramic
tile?

Keep it simple. Install 1/4" Hardibacker over the existing
vinyl/underlayment and tile over that.

whodat

whats causing the leak?
bad caulking, showerbody dripping behind the wall and underneth?

--
whodat
whodat's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=35

DJ

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:23:26 GMT, "A. Jacobs"
wrote:

What is the difference between laminate and vinyl flooring?
Are they the same stuff?

"Pergo" is laminate, a plastic, glue or click together flooring that
comes in planks, most often with a woodgrain pattern but also
available to look like ceramic tile.

Although, technically speaking, most vinyl flooring is laminated with
two or more distinctly different layers, it is considered sheet
flooring unless you are using individual vinyl squares.

DJ
A. Jacobs

Yesterday, I went to Lowes and check their vinyl floor.
I found the back of plastic is actually made of paper type of material.
It can be easily peel apart. Is all vinyl floor is made like that?

"A. Jacobs" wrote in message
m...
I need to remove and replace the bathroom vinyl floor.
There is water leak from the tub into below the vinyl floor and cause the
vinyl to change darken color.
I heard that its impossible to remove vinyl floor and need to cut out the
entire particle board wooden sub-floor.
Is this correct?
Thank you for your advise.

keith

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:20:54 +0000, A. Jacobs wrote:

Yesterday, I went to Lowes and check their vinyl floor.
I found the back of plastic is actually made of paper type of material.
It can be easily peel apart. Is all vinyl floor is made like that?

I just ripped up all the vinyl in my house (~500sq.ft.). Yes, it had the
same "paper" on the back. No, it disn't easily peel apart. ...hardly!
WAPITA :-(

--
Keith

A. Jacobs

What kind of tool are you using?
Are you saying it "IS NOT" easy to peel the vinyl off?
I only have a 3.5' x 4.5' small bathroom?

"keith" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:20:54 +0000, A. Jacobs wrote:

I just ripped up all the vinyl in my house (~500sq.ft.). Yes, it had the
same "paper" on the back. No, it disn't easily peel apart. ...hardly!
WAPITA :-(

--
Keith

Leveling vinyl floor The Data Rat Home Repair 4 July 23rd 05 07:36 AM
Need help vinyl floor tile question.. Lucy Home Ownership 4 January 3rd 05 10:58 PM
Vinyl floor Alan UK diy 1 August 3rd 04 08:39 AM
Wood Floor in Bathroom Rob Gray Home Repair 5 February 23rd 04 04:28 AM
Bathroom floor tiling question L Beck Home Repair 3 January 1st 04 06:31 PM