The Data Rat

Default Leveling vinyl floor

Hi all,

My house is built on a slab. The previous owner had some work done on the
pipes that run through the slab. He didn't bother to smooth out the kitchen
or utilty room floor, just used this awful black adhesive and put vinyl over
the floor. I spent a weekend trying to get the vinyl off of the utilty room
floor and it just will not come up. So I put the first laminate on the
kitchen floor, (and through the whole house for that matter.) My dishwasher
leaked and dmaged the laminate. I want to put vinyl down over the other
vinyl. What can I use to level out the otherr vinyl? It is secure. VERY
secure. If you know the brand of whatever you recommend, that would be
great. I found a leveler for concrete floors. It did not say anything on
the package about going over vinyl. The guy at Lowes said the old vinyl HAD
to come up. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Suzi

To begin with the dingbat that had it before you should have known you
never put a finished floor on a slab without sleepers in between. And
a leveler has to be put on a bare surface. NEVER NEVER NEVER put vynal
on vynal. Or for that matter carpeting or any pliable surface on
another pliable surface. A breathing surface must have a hard
underlayment beneath it. Heat and elbow grease is your only solution.
That and LOTS of time. I don't envy you.

I was once involved with a group whose office was redone after a
fire.. I swear I thought they put like a thin wood veneer on the
floor before they tiled it.. is that like the veneer you use to fix
doors? is there a waterproof synthetic alternative? I ask because my
entire basement is done with asbestos tile and absestos mastic and I
am loathe to someday scrape off the old tile.. (would the bozo who is
about to say asbestos is harmless please just stick a garden hose up
his nose?) but if you put a wood layer and the basement floods, it's
worse, right? I've seen stores in Manhattan that are part of larger
buildings (eg Rockefeller Center skyscrapers) and it seems the floor,
even though not basement, is tile over concrete and they jackhammer it off..

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]