Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HALOGEN TORCHIER LAMP HELP

I have a halogen torchier lamp that uses the type T bulb. The lamp
will not lite. I've already replaced the lamp but I'd like to make
this a "project." The lamp uses a rheostat type switch and I was
wondering if anyone had any ideas. I was going to use my multi tester
to check to see if juice is getting through. The bulb is new. If no
juice is getting through, should I check the switch next? Anybody know
of any circuitry inside the lamp? I haven't begun to take it apart
yet. Any help will be welcome.

Thanks in advance

phil

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Plug to switch to lamp. If the switch is bad then lamp won't light. Most
likley its the switch

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
news
wrote:
I have a halogen torchier lamp that uses the type T bulb. The lamp
will not lite. I've already replaced the lamp but I'd like to make
this a "project." The lamp uses a rheostat type switch and I was
wondering if anyone had any ideas. I was going to use my multi tester
to check to see if juice is getting through. The bulb is new. If no
juice is getting through, should I check the switch next? Anybody know
of any circuitry inside the lamp? I haven't begun to take it apart
yet. Any help will be welcome.

Thanks in advance

phil

What do you mean by "rheostat type switch". Do you mean it's a
continuously variable solid state dimmer?

If so, as previously stated, check continuity from the cord plug prongs to
where the cord splices to the switch/lamp socket.

If it IS a continuously variable solid state dimmer and it's bad, chances
are you'd not easily find an economical replacement. I'd consider
replacing it with a simple on-off switch if you want to keep that lamp for
occassional use.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Dimmers have been known to be burned out when a bulb burns out. The instant
the filament on the bulb burns, there is a spike in voltage (or was that
current) you might see as that last bright flash as it blows out. This
spike can and does damage the SCR (transistor looking 3 pin device in the
dimmer control) if its current rating is borderline (as it may be in cheaper
switches). Better dimmers have a device rated for a much higher inrush
current but it cost a tiny bit more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

PipeDown wrote:

Dimmers have been known to be burned out when a bulb burns out. The instant
the filament on the bulb burns, there is a spike in voltage (or was that
current) you might see as that last bright flash as it blows out. This
spike can and does damage the SCR (transistor looking 3 pin device in the
dimmer control) if its current rating is borderline (as it may be in cheaper
switches). Better dimmers have a device rated for a much higher inrush
current but it cost a tiny bit more.

You're right, and reverting to my usual pedagogue mode I'll add that the
effect is called a "tungsten arc" and it can create a near short circuit
sized current spike which can easily blow out the small sized triacs
used in solid state lamp dimmers. It happens maybe once in every 5 to 10
bulb burnouts.

I've seen cases where a 75 watt bulb blows with a bright white flash
when you flip the wall switch on, and when you replace the bulb you find
that you have to go and reset the panel breaker for that circuit before
you can light the new bulb.

What happens (As explained to me.) is that when the bulb filament
breaks, if the broken ends don't snap away from each other fast enough,
a small arc between them begins vaporizing the tungsten filament
material, and filling the bulb with a conductive metal vapor through
which current continues to flow. The effect "runs away" and the current
increases as more of the filament end lengths melt away. I've heard that
some "better" brands of lamp bulbs are made with a deliberately thin
section of lead wire inside their bases to act as a fuse to limit the
severity of that current surge.

I used to occasionally blow out the solid state "touch dimmers" in our
bedside lamps when their 150 watt bulbs blew. I did the numbers on it
and installed fuse holders with 3AG 2 amp quick blow fuses under the
lamp bases. I've had to replace a few blown fuses since then when bulbs
burned out, but never again a dimmer.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it depends on what you put
into it."

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, Matt. I decided to toss the lamp after I read the posts.
Thanks anyway.

phil
Matt Howell wrote:

(snip)
I've had 3 or 4 crap out like that. I throw away the dimmer, and replace it
with a on-off rotary for about three bucks and ten minutes. (I hate the
buzzing the dimmers make, so only use them on full anyway.) I got the lamps
free, from when I lived in the apartments. At the end of the month (aka
moving day) there were usually 2 or 3 sitting by the dumpsters. Typical ones
these days, the 20 buck specials, are much crappier than the 50 dollar ones
that were common when the style came on the market. The real cheap ones I
left in the dumpster, after stealing the bulb and the little glass
half-round mantle thing for my spares box.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
ameijers, thanks for the info. How hard is it to wire the switches?
Can you get them from places like Lowes?

phil

Pretty easy, really- unplug the lamp (duh!), unscrew the nut on the switch,
and then the joint in the middle of the pole to get to the switch, fish it
out, cut the wires on the lamp side of the connectors, connect the new
switch with new wirenuts or insulated crimps, and reassemble. Most places
like Lowes have the switches. It helps to take the old switch along to match
the sizes, especially the switch barrel that sticks through the hole. Don't
forget to buy the wirenuts or crimp connectors, if they are not included in
the bag with the switch. Only tools needed are strippers and maybe slipjoint
pliers to get the nut off the old switch. Note that the pretty plastic trim
knob from the old switch probably won't fit the new one, so all you will
have sticking out is the skinny knurled knob. You may wanna remove the bulb
and glass guard thingie before you start to reduce chances of breakage.

aem sends...

Halogen lamp protective shield - recommendations Matt Burt UK diy 1 October 13th 05 02:59 PM
halogen lamp disposal Joe Home Repair 10 July 11th 05 06:57 PM
Fix for halogen lamp socket? Zak Electronics Repair 21 May 1st 05 05:11 PM
fit LV lamp to mains halogen fitting? John Stumbles UK diy 15 June 29th 04 10:08 PM
Samsung HLN4365W HDTV Lamp Dies David W. McGaffney Electronics Repair 2 May 16th 04 04:39 PM