Joe

Default halogen lamp disposal

What is the proper way to dispose of a halogen lamp? Would an electronic
waste recycling center accept it ?

SteveB

"Joe" wrote in message
What is the proper way to dispose of a halogen lamp?

Toss it in the trash?

"Toss it in the trash? "

Sounds right to me. Why would you do anything else?

Don Klipstein

In article , Joe wrote:

What is the proper way to dispose of a halogen lamp? Would an
electronic waste recycling center accept it ?

I have yet to hear of the usual halogen lamps being subject to disposal
regulations anywhere. Some have small boards, but you can throw them out
anywhere you can throw out radios, digital clocks, etc. The bulbs do not
contain mercury nor other chemical hazards that would be a disposal
problem.

- Don Klipstein )
SteveB

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Toss it in the trash? "

Sounds right to me. Why would you do anything else?

I guess it could explode and derail a trash freight train.

Or fall off a garbage barge and get stuck in the blowhole of a whale and
have the whale die on the beach. (Hey, it happened in a Seinfeld episode
with a golf ball.)

Or, it could fall off a garbage truck and then a SUV full of nine year old
soccer players and a soccer mom could run over it and have a blowout and run
into a station wagon full of nuns.

Lots of things can happen when you're paranoid......................

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT ! ! ? ?

Steve ;-)

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Toss it in the trash? "

Sounds right to me. Why would you do anything else?

OP may be thinking of fluorescent bulbs?

Joseph Meehan

Joe wrote:
What is the proper way to dispose of a halogen lamp? Would an
electronic waste recycling center accept it ?

The contents of a halogen lamp are about the same of a standard tungsten
lamp. No special treatment.

Now florescent lamps are different.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joe

I'm more concerned about finding a way to recycle something that isn't
needed rather than have it fill up a landfill.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe" wrote in message
I'm more concerned about finding a way to recycle something that isn't
needed rather than have it fill up a landfill.

Then just do whatever you do with the old style bulbs. Our town recycling
center does not want light bulb glass in with the regular glass as it is not
a good mix. It has something to do with the tempering of the glass.

Don Klipstein

In article , Joe wrote:

I'm more concerned about finding a way to recycle something that isn't
needed rather than have it fill up a landfill.

I suspect that about 97% of the bulk is lower grade steel and another 1
of the remaining 3 or whatever % is copper.

A futher complication: The main structural parts and the main weighting
part in the base I suspect to be different and non-interchangeable
varieties of cheaper steel/iron.

As for need to recycle these as opposed to other items: It appears to
me that the biggest need for recycling is to avoid landfills and
incinerators, and the bigger trash items I see in these areas are paper
and plastic.
Second-biggest need that I see for recycling: Recycling plastics to
reduce consumption of natural gas and maybe petroleum, and after that
recycling disposable aluminum items to avoid the large electrical energy
needs of producing aluminum.

After that: Tungsten, which is used in incandescent lightbulbs, halogen
ones, all of the usual fluorescent ones, and most HID types. Since
fluorescent ones last a lot longer when used where suitable, usage of
fluorescent lamps where suitable will reduce transfer of this planet's
tungsten reserves to landfills. However, this planet has yet to
experience a tungsten shortage sufficient to motivate significant
recycling of items using it.
However, I am concerned about tungsten since I have seen a bit of info
(a few years ago) showing how worldwide reserves of critical industrial
materials showed new discoveries allowing recent consumption increases to
continue, and the main problem people see is with petroleum. However,
tungsten is what got listed as where known reserves actually decreased.

As for iron and steel: Consider that the Earth's crust is a few percent
iron. The main other item needed for making steel from iron is coal, and
the USA has a few times more coal than the Middle East has petroleum! The
main hurdle here is acceptably minimizing air pollution, and after that
acceptably minimizing the negative effects of mining the coal!

Oh, and the Earth's crust has about as much aluminum as iron. The main
hurdle here is that reducing mineable aluminum compunds to metal requires
an electrolysis method that has a big requirement for electrical energy,
Then again, aluminum production is not as big a need of electricity as
lighting and bigger-still air conditioning (combined with refrigeration)
is...

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:37:02 +0000 (UTC),
(Don
Klipstein) wrote:

After that: Tungsten, which is used in incandescent lightbulbs, halogen
ones, all of the usual fluorescent ones, and most HID types. Since
fluorescent ones last a lot longer when used where suitable, usage of
fluorescent lamps where suitable will reduce transfer of this planet's
tungsten reserves to landfills. However, this planet has yet to
experience a tungsten shortage sufficient to motivate significant
recycling of items using it.
However, I am concerned about tungsten since I have seen a bit of info
(a few years ago) showing how worldwide reserves of critical industrial
materials showed new discoveries allowing recent consumption increases to
continue, and the main problem people see is with petroleum. However,
tungsten is what got listed as where known reserves actually decreased.

While I would agree that recycling the tungsten would be wise, you are
missing the point that when a lightbulb burns out, most of the
tungsten is gone. It just vaporizes in time. Although, if a bulb is
broken by dropping it or another accident, then there may still be
some tungsten left.

Lightbulbs normally fail when only around 1% of the tungsten has
evaporated.

What happens is that the filament does not suffer evaporation in a
perfectly even manner, and you get a thin spot. That thin spot becomes a
hot spot, and has its evaporation rate worned, and this process reinforces
itself. The filament usually fails from this thin spot melting.

A thin spot like this gets thinner at a rate that accelerates worse than
exponentially. By the time such a thin spot gets really significant, the
filament's hours are numbered.

- Don Klipstein )