Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HALOGEN TORCHIER LAMP HELP

Thanks, Matt. I decided to toss the lamp after I read the posts.
Thanks anyway.

phil
Matt Howell wrote:
In article .com,
says...

Matt, what's a triac?

phil
Matt Howell wrote:
In article . com,
says...

I have a halogen torchier lamp that uses the type T bulb. The lamp
will not lite. I've already replaced the lamp but I'd like to make
this a "project." The lamp uses a rheostat type switch and I was
wondering if anyone had any ideas. I was going to use my multi tester
to check to see if juice is getting through. The bulb is new. If no
juice is getting through, should I check the switch next? Anybody know
of any circuitry inside the lamp? I haven't begun to take it apart
yet. Any help will be welcome.

Thanks in advance

phil

Probably a blown triac. It happened to mine.

A triac is essentially two SCR's in parallel. If you remove the switch
assembly and the circuit board attached to it, you'll likely see a 3 legged
device. This is the triac. Triacs control current in either direction, and in
this application, acts like a high power switch. If you can find a part number
on it, I can try and look it up for you.