Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default Any idea on how to find original plans for a house?

Just purchased a property in Miami, built in 1972, sold to second owner in
1985 and now sold to me. House was custom built and has a lot of unique
features but unable to find any plans.

Went to the Dade County buildings department, was told any plans between
1961 and 1972 were on microfiche but those were "eaten up" by parasites and
all gone. Nothing is left.

Last owner is an elderly who had a stroke and cannot remember much, not even
the combination to the floor safe in the house, or much of anything. Looked
through the house and no plans.

Tracked down original owner who is the architect, says he has retired and
closed his business and all plans were thrown out.

Then I started to trace the mortgage lenders...too bad all of those BLAH
BLAH BLAH Savings and Loan Associations no longer in business, only one
survived and have nothing older than 1996 at all.

Any idea of where else I might look to locate any plans that might show
sewer, water, electrical, structural, there are a lot of conduits in the
house for alarms, intercom, central vac, electrical...now everything has to
be done by trial and error and if we have to do any remodeling we have to
hire an architect to redo the plans...not looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

City building department? Similar homes around by same architect/builder?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

wrote in message
On Sat, 6 May 2006 11:47:43 -0400, "miamicuse"
wrote:

Just purchased a property in Miami, built in 1972, sold to second owner in
1985 and now sold to me. House was custom built and has a lot of unique
features but unable to find any plans.

Bear in mind "plans" are usually just a guideline anyway.

You sound like my judge.
I sued a contractor because he agreed to follow my architect's plans, but
cut corners everywhere. The judge ruled that I was unreasonable in
expecting a contractor to be honest. I won, but only a fraction of what I
should have.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

wrote:

Just purchased a property in Miami, built in 1972, sold to second owner in
1985 and now sold to me. House was custom built and has a lot of unique
features but unable to find any plans.

Went to the Dade County buildings department, was told any plans between
1961 and 1972 were on microfiche but those were "eaten up" by parasites and
all gone. Nothing is left.

Tried this on a house. After so long the county defers you to the
architect. Of course, in my case it was seven years and he had
destroyed them. This is a good case for digital archiving.

Last owner is an elderly who had a stroke and cannot remember much, not even
the combination to the floor safe in the house, or much of anything. Looked
through the house and no plans.

Would the family have any older pictures they would not mind sharing?
It could possibly show any changes to the home, specifically after a
"him-a-cane"... repairs, etc..

Tracked down original owner who is the architect, says he has retired and
closed his business and all plans were thrown out.

Can you take pictures, plus take this original owner to lunch and
interview him with the pictures? Make notes - some little things will
better help you understand. Might jar his memory a little. Was he
involved in any storm repair while he lived there?

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

I had a house built in 1968. I picked out the plan from a book of houses and
the developer got the plans and built the house. At the closing, I asked for
a copy of the plans, The developer wanted to charge me extra. I said,
"forget it, the house wasn't built to plan anyway". He gave me the plans.
What was worth more was that I was living in an apartment pretty close and
would run over after work and take pictures before the sheetrock and siding
hid it all. That way I had a clue about pipe and wire runs. They are not on
the plans anyway, just the placement of the fixtures etc.

Charlie

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

wrote in message
On Sat, 6 May 2006 15:47:45 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

At the closing, I asked for
a copy of the plans, The developer wanted to charge me extra

If you are having a house built by most big national builders they
will simply refuse to give you the plans. Of course you could steal a
set from the permit board and nobody would be surprised. They lose
them all the time. (trades or inspectors forget to put them back)

... but it would be wrong

This was a local outfit. Actually a real estate guy who was backing a
contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

wrote:

[...]

I wish...architect moved to a different state when retired. Did not
remember much and is in the upper 80s. He did tell me the house was one of
a kind and custom designed, nothing else like it.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

wrote:

Just purchased a property in Miami, built in 1972, sold to second owner
in
1985 and now sold to me. House was custom built and has a lot of unique
features but unable to find any plans.

Bear in mind "plans" are usually just a guideline anyway.

You sound like my judge.
I sued a contractor because he agreed to follow my architect's plans, but
cut corners everywhere. The judge ruled that I was unreasonable in
expecting a contractor to be honest. I won, but only a fraction of what I
should have.

A really good set of specifications is the way to get the materials,
workmanship, and other details defined in a way that architect, owner,
general contractor ,and all sub-contractors understand and agree on.
Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Don Young wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

. ..

wrote:

Just purchased a property in Miami, built in 1972, sold to second owner
in
1985 and now sold to me. House was custom built and has a lot of unique
features but unable to find any plans.

Bear in mind "plans" are usually just a guideline anyway.

You sound like my judge.
I sued a contractor because he agreed to follow my architect's plans, but
cut corners everywhere. The judge ruled that I was unreasonable in
expecting a contractor to be honest. I won, but only a fraction of what I
should have.

A really good set of specifications is the way to get the materials,
workmanship, and other details defined in a way that architect, owner,
general contractor ,and all sub-contractors understand and agree on.
Don Young

Hmmm,
I am one of lucky guy. My contractor makes up what we miss on our plan
and make sure things get done correctly over and aboce expectations.
All his subs were on same wave length.
He built us 3 houses and now retired. A German gentleman. Once we have
our plan drawn, we could do the business with shake of our hands.
And I always kept full set of blue prints; house plan, wiring diagrams,
HVAC run, list of sub contractors. Passed them onto the folks who bought
the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

I had a house built in 1968. I picked out the plan from a book of houses and
the developer got the plans and built the house. At the closing, I asked for
a copy of the plans, The developer wanted to charge me extra. I said,
"forget it, the house wasn't built to plan anyway". He gave me the plans.
What was worth more was that I was living in an apartment pretty close and
would run over after work and take pictures before the sheetrock and siding
hid it all. That way I had a clue about pipe and wire runs. They are not on
the plans anyway, just the placement of the fixtures etc.

Charlie

All I have is a townhouse, but I figured none of my neighbors would
have plans either. And the house was only 4 years old, so original
owners remembered the architect. He made blueprints for me for 15 or
20 dollars, the cost of copying he said. Very easy to deal with.

But they haven't helped me any yet. The immediate need was that the
first owner sheet-rocked over the phone jack in the master bedroom,
but the plans don't show phone lines anyhow. Dimensions were shown,
but not what things were made of, like the siding and the brick, iirc.

Your house (the op's) sounds much more complicated than mine, but I
think you'll enjoy figuring this stuff out as you need to know it.
And I'm sure you'll succeed.

Maybe?? you won't have to submit plans for the entire house, only the
parts to be remodelled, and that you'd have to do anyhow.

Did they say what insects eat microfiche?

....For a while I was friends with a guy (worked for the same charity)
a few years younger than I who was a laborer on these houses when they
were built! The guy's family is a lot richer than mine, and I think
he was related to the builder or the owner of the bank that did the
financing. His father or uncle got him a summer job.

"miamicuse" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
chris jung

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Just purchased a property in Miami, built in 1972, sold to second owner in
1985 and now sold to me. House was custom built and has a lot of unique
features but unable to find any plans.

It sounds like you did all you could. I would second the idea of looking
for similar houses in the area and see if they were built/designed by the
same company.

We recently tracked down the plans for our house. It's a raised ranch built
in 1967, has had about 6 owners and the original home-owner plans were long
gone. The town building & zoning department didn't have them. I tracked
down the builder (still in business and on the 3rd generation) for this
development and asked the folks in the front office very nicely for help and
offered to pay for a copy of the plans. One guy went down to their old files
in storage, search out our house file and gave us a set at no charge. That
was very nice of them to go to this effort and I plan to write a thank you
letter.

The actual plans are extremely interesting and explains a lot of funky stuff
as well. At first I thought they gave me the wrong plans since the first
page showed an exterior elevation that didn't match our house at all. In
fact it matched a house down the street that was built in 1966, a year
before our place. Looking through each page though, one could see all sorts
of penciled - in modifications that did match our house. The original
exterior elevation showed a sort of modern Frank Lloyd Wright knock-off (but
not in a good way with windows off center - on the corners of the
house/rooms instead of in the center of walls, weird "rubble-built" style of
rock facade) but, due to the buyers preferences, it was changed to a nicer
(IMHO) style (brick facade, windows centered in walls, hip roof ).
According to the plans the garage level was supposed to be in-between the
basement & first floor levels with a door in the rear to the backyard.
Instead the grading was done so the garage & basement were on the same level
which resulted in the back of the garage inset in the ground to about 4
feet. We had always wondered about the partially done door framing in the
back of the garage but now see that the builder had second thoughts about
making it work and it was never completed.

Chris

Prescott plans a new disaster for house sales Christopher Booker Telegraph Ophelia UK diy 55 January 30th 06 11:23 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
more fun with air conditioning J Jensen Home Repair 93 September 7th 04 10:39 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM