Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

Default Any idea on how to find original plans for a house?

On Sat, 6 May 2006 11:47:43 -0400, "miamicuse"
wrote:

Just purchased a property in Miami, built in 1972, sold to second owner in
1985 and now sold to me. House was custom built and has a lot of unique
features but unable to find any plans.

Went to the Dade County buildings department, was told any plans between
1961 and 1972 were on microfiche but those were "eaten up" by parasites and
all gone. Nothing is left.

Tried this on a house. After so long the county defers you to the
architect. Of course, in my case it was seven years and he had
destroyed them. This is a good case for digital archiving.

Last owner is an elderly who had a stroke and cannot remember much, not even
the combination to the floor safe in the house, or much of anything. Looked
through the house and no plans.

Would the family have any older pictures they would not mind sharing?
It could possibly show any changes to the home, specifically after a
"him-a-cane"... repairs, etc..

Tracked down original owner who is the architect, says he has retired and
closed his business and all plans were thrown out.

Can you take pictures, plus take this original owner to lunch and
interview him with the pictures? Make notes - some little things will
better help you understand. Might jar his memory a little. Was he
involved in any storm repair while he lived there?

Oren

excused from saving Universes."