Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default Any idea on how to find original plans for a house?

Don Young wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..

On Sat, 6 May 2006 11:47:43 -0400, "miamicuse"
wrote:

Just purchased a property in Miami, built in 1972, sold to second owner
in
1985 and now sold to me. House was custom built and has a lot of unique
features but unable to find any plans.

Bear in mind "plans" are usually just a guideline anyway.

You sound like my judge.
I sued a contractor because he agreed to follow my architect's plans, but
cut corners everywhere. The judge ruled that I was unreasonable in
expecting a contractor to be honest. I won, but only a fraction of what I
should have.

A really good set of specifications is the way to get the materials,
workmanship, and other details defined in a way that architect, owner,
general contractor ,and all sub-contractors understand and agree on.
Don Young

Hmmm,
I am one of lucky guy. My contractor makes up what we miss on our plan
and make sure things get done correctly over and aboce expectations.
All his subs were on same wave length.
He built us 3 houses and now retired. A German gentleman. Once we have
our plan drawn, we could do the business with shake of our hands.
And I always kept full set of blue prints; house plan, wiring diagrams,
HVAC run, list of sub contractors. Passed them onto the folks who bought
the house.