Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddie G

Default lime away/CLR

I have Lime Away...is this the same as CLR? Will it work for Calcium
deposits? From other posts you may remember that I have hard water that has
caused deposits on my kitchen sink faucet and my washing machine hot water
hose. I am apprehensive about using the Lime Away because of the drinking
water from the kitchen and the acid in the washer burning my clothes. I
guess I should run an empty load with no soap in the washer...will one run
be enough? And for the kitchen sink how long does it have to run to wash
away the acid so the water is safe to drink?

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Posted to alt.home.repair
John_B

Eddie G wrote:
I have Lime Away...is this the same as CLR? Will it work for Calcium
deposits? From other posts you may remember that I have hard water that has
caused deposits on my kitchen sink faucet and my washing machine hot water
hose. I am apprehensive about using the Lime Away because of the drinking
water from the kitchen and the acid in the washer burning my clothes. I
guess I should run an empty load with no soap in the washer...will one run
be enough? And for the kitchen sink how long does it have to run to wash
away the acid so the water is safe to drink?

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Lime Away and CLR are two different products which seem to do the
same thing.

The water delivered to my house has a lot of lime with a dash of
rust from the iron ore in this area. I often use "white vinegar"
to dissolve the lime encrusted on faucets. That is strong enough
to do the job for me, but since we regularly eat it in the form
of pickles and salad dressing, it seems to be about as safe as
any alternative.

I only use the Lime Away or CLR on toilets and other places where
I am not concerned about eating or drinking the Lime Away / CLR.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddie G

"John_B" wrote in message
Eddie G wrote:
[...]

I put some vinegar in the part of the spigot...the handle that pulls out...I
unscrewed it and poured a drop of vinegar in it where the deposits are and
let it sit overnight, but the deposits did not dissolve away. (I did this
last week).

How about the Lime Away in the washer?

Thanks!!

Eddie

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think lime away is a pretty mild acid, flush well and forget about it

a drop of white vinegar will get quickly neutralized because its so
little

put faucet part in pan of white vinegar, cover item with vinegar, then
cover with plastic so it doesnt evaporate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Eddie G" wrote in message
(snip)

How about the Lime Away in the washer?

Thanks!!

Eddie

If the feed hoses are clogged, just replace them. They are cheap, and
probably getting mushy anyway. But if they are clogged, so is the faucet
they are hooked to, and everything upstream. No good suggestions to offer,
but you do have my sympathy. Previous owner let the water softener in this
place die, and a lot of the plumbing was limed up bad. I have replaced
softener, and a few fixtures, but pressure is still lousy at the end of the
undersized longer runs.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Eddie G wrote:
I have Lime Away...is this the same as CLR? Will it work for Calcium
deposits? From other posts you may remember that I have hard water that has
caused deposits on my kitchen sink faucet and my washing machine hot water
hose. I am apprehensive about using the Lime Away because of the drinking
water from the kitchen and the acid in the washer burning my clothes. I
guess I should run an empty load with no soap in the washer...will one run
be enough? And for the kitchen sink how long does it have to run to wash
away the acid so the water is safe to drink?

Thanks!!

Eddie G

CLR works much better for me than Lime away. I see
in another post you tried a drop of vinegar. Well
you have to use a lot of whatever you are using
and CLR is much stronger than vinegar. For your
sink, use a paper towel saturated with the
solution and place it against the metal. After a
few minutes pour more CLR on it and rub it well.

I don't understand about the hose. Do you mean it
has leaked at the connection and formed white
deposits? If so, just rub with a paper towel or
cloth saturated with CLR.

If you have heavy deposits in your washer you will
need to let it fill with water and then add a
whole bottle (quart size) of CLR and let it
agitate for 10-15 minutes, stop it and let it sit
for at least 1/2 hour then let it complete a rinse
cycle. One rinse cycle is enough to get rid of it.

There is no reason to be worried about the CLR as
it is very soluble in water. Neither is is very
acidic; I normally don't use rubber gloves when
using it. For items that you can't just pour
water on, saturate a cloth with water and wipe the
item, rinse the cloth, and repeat the process
twice more.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddie G

ameijers wrote:
"Eddie G" wrote in message
(snip)

How about the Lime Away in the washer?

Thanks!!

Eddie

If the feed hoses are clogged, just replace them. They are cheap, and
probably getting mushy anyway. But if they are clogged, so is the faucet
they are hooked to, and everything upstream. No good suggestions to offer,
but you do have my sympathy. Previous owner let the water softener in this
place die, and a lot of the plumbing was limed up bad. I have replaced
softener, and a few fixtures, but pressure is still lousy at the end of the
undersized longer runs.

The clog is in the screen on the washing machine. I can scoop some of
it out with a screwdriver which improves water flow for a while until
it clogs again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The trick with vinegar is that it must be in contact with the deposit
for a significant length of time, unlike CLR or Lime Away, which work
very quickly. For example, when using white vinegar to unclog a shower
head or spigot, it often must sit in contact with the fixture for about
24 hours and sometimes needs a repeat after the first round. One way
to do this is to use a rubber band to fasten a plastic baggie of
vinegar to the fixture, so that the head will remain submersed.
Because it takes awhile to work, it doesn't work well for anyplace that
you want to simply wipe clean.

Jo Ann