Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remove Electrical Junction Box

Hello!
First of all, many thanks in advance for taking time to answer my
question.

I would like to add 2 additional switches to 1 existing switch, as
I would like to install 2 additional lights. Since I cannot extend the
existing 1 Gang box (it is plastic and no side screw holes for
extension), the only option I have is to remove it and put in a new 3
gang junction box.

However, the challenge here is that the existing junction box is
nailed to the stud behind my drywall. When I open the face plate, I can
see only the junction box, no extra space for my hand to go around to
pull out the nail. Any suggestion ?

Use hammer to destroy the existing box, then pull the screw out ?

Many Thanks in advance.
Shawn

Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Townsend

They make 3 and 4 Switch Switches for a Single Gang box.

I've used these, they can get tight, but better then tearing a bigger hole
in the wall.
http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/A19.pdf

Scott-

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!
First of all, many thanks in advance for taking time to answer my
question.

I would like to add 2 additional switches to 1 existing switch, as
I would like to install 2 additional lights. Since I cannot extend the
existing 1 Gang box (it is plastic and no side screw holes for
extension), the only option I have is to remove it and put in a new 3
gang junction box.

However, the challenge here is that the existing junction box is
nailed to the stud behind my drywall. When I open the face plate, I can
see only the junction box, no extra space for my hand to go around to
pull out the nail. Any suggestion ?

Use hammer to destroy the existing box, then pull the screw out ?

Many Thanks in advance.
Shawn

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

Use a Dremel with the right grinding stone to grind off the head of the
nail(s).
It will be slow but it will leave you with a neater result.

Charlie

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!
First of all, many thanks in advance for taking time to answer my
question.

I would like to add 2 additional switches to 1 existing switch, as
I would like to install 2 additional lights. Since I cannot extend the
existing 1 Gang box (it is plastic and no side screw holes for
extension), the only option I have is to remove it and put in a new 3
gang junction box.

However, the challenge here is that the existing junction box is
nailed to the stud behind my drywall. When I open the face plate, I can
see only the junction box, no extra space for my hand to go around to
pull out the nail. Any suggestion ?

Use hammer to destroy the existing box, then pull the screw out ?

Many Thanks in advance.
Shawn

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

On 16 Apr 2006 20:42:39 -0700, wrote:

Hello!
First of all, many thanks in advance for taking time to answer my
question.

I would like to add 2 additional switches to 1 existing switch, as
I would like to install 2 additional lights. Since I cannot extend the
existing 1 Gang box (it is plastic and no side screw holes for
extension), the only option I have is to remove it and put in a new 3
gang junction box.

However, the challenge here is that the existing junction box is
nailed to the stud behind my drywall. When I open the face plate, I can
see only the junction box, no extra space for my hand to go around to
pull out the nail. Any suggestion ?

Use hammer to destroy the existing box, then pull the screw out ?

Many Thanks in advance.
Shawn

Typically when I replace a box with a larger box, I first trace the
new box over the existing box(faceplate removed). I then cut out the
wall to fit the new box. Now I have a larger hole.

Using a flat head screwdriver, I pry and work the old box off the
studd. Once it's far enough off, use needle nose pliers to remove the
nails. Once the nails are lose, I feel around int eh wall and
makesure all cables are anchored, I don't want cables dropping into
the wall. If so, I just push the cables, gently out of the old box
into the wall. Once all cables cleared, I removed the box.

I Have been known to drop a box or two in the wall, with no nails it
seems to pose no problems in the future.

Now this works for me, every person seems to be different, hth, and
remember only qualified people shall work on electrical systems.

later,

tom @
www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

wrote:

Use a Dremel with the right grinding stone to grind off the head of the
nail(s).

Sparks?

Sparks? sure, but they will be contained inside the box.

It will be slow but it will leave you with a neater result.

Charlie

wrote in message
groups.com...
Hello!
First of all, many thanks in advance for taking time to answer my
question.

I would like to add 2 additional switches to 1 existing switch, as
I would like to install 2 additional lights. Since I cannot extend the
existing 1 Gang box (it is plastic and no side screw holes for
extension), the only option I have is to remove it and put in a new 3
gang junction box.

However, the challenge here is that the existing junction box is
nailed to the stud behind my drywall. When I open the face plate, I can
see only the junction box, no extra space for my hand to go around to
pull out the nail. Any suggestion ?

Use hammer to destroy the existing box, then pull the screw out ?

Many Thanks in advance.
Shawn

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello,

Thanks everyone for contributing to my question about adding 2
switches to 1 existing switch. I like both ideas of either removing the
existing 1 gang junction box with a 3 gang box, or add a 2-gang box
next to existing 1 gang box.

For the later suggestion, I face a challenge -- existing 1 gang
box does not have side knock out, and I am trying to tap the
electricity from this 1 gang box for the additional 2 gang box.

FYI, my house is built in 1999, and the existing 1 gang box is
non-metal (seems plastic to me).

Questions:
1) I guess I need to knock-out a hole at the back of the 1 gang box,
and extend the hot and neutral wires out to the back, turn around and
enter into the back (or knock-out) of 2 gang box ? I could not see
clearly, but I think there is a knock out at back of 1 gang box.
2) Since I plan to have 1 face plate of 3 switches, can I still add the
2 gang box and all 3 switches still fit into the standard 3-switch face
plate ? I worry it may not fit. In this case, any special type of gang
box I should buy, like the old metal gang box or the new plastic gang
box ?

Thanks again!
Shawn

..

mm wrote:
On 16 Apr 2006 20:42:39 -0700, wrote:

Hello!
First of all, many thanks in advance for taking time to answer my
question.

I would like to add 2 additional switches to 1 existing switch, as
I would like to install 2 additional lights. Since I cannot extend the
existing 1 Gang box (it is plastic and no side screw holes for
extension), the only option I have is to remove it and put in a new 3
gang junction box.

Only? You couldn't put in an "old work" two gang box an inch to the
side of it?

However, the challenge here is that the existing junction box is
nailed to the stud behind my drywall. When I open the face plate, I can
see only the junction box, no extra space for my hand to go around to
pull out the nail. Any suggestion ?

Use hammer to destroy the existing box, then pull the screw out ?

I'm not happy with that. What's on the other side of the wall?

Many Thanks in advance.
Shawn

Posted to alt.home.repair

sometimes it easier to install another box at a nearby location and
feed the new box from the old one or from another location.

thinking of it needs change, and i tend to add outlets etc as needed.
for me its no big deal. i enjoy fishing wires that probably makes me
wierd

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 17 Apr 2006 19:36:52 -0700, wrote:

Hello,

Thanks everyone for contributing to my question about adding 2
switches to 1 existing switch. I like both ideas of either removing the
existing 1 gang junction box with a 3 gang box, or add a 2-gang box
next to existing 1 gang box.

For the later suggestion, I face a challenge -- existing 1 gang
box does not have side knock out, and I am trying to tap the
electricity from this 1 gang box for the additional 2 gang box.

FYI, my house is built in 1999, and the existing 1 gang box is
non-metal (seems plastic to me).

Questions:
1) I guess I need to knock-out a hole at the back of the 1 gang box,
and extend the hot and neutral wires out to the back, turn around and
enter into the back (or knock-out) of 2 gang box ? I could not see
clearly, but I think there is a knock out at back of 1 gang box.

I'm sure there's another opening or knock-out.

2) Since I plan to have 1 face plate of 3 switches, can I still add the
2 gang box and all 3 switches still fit into the standard 3-switch face
plate ?

No, not as far as I know. I'm 99.9$ sure you couldn't get them close
enough together.

I worry it may not fit. In this case, any special type of gang
box I should buy, like the old metal gang box or the new plastic gang
box ?

My suggestion was to have two boxes, and two plates of the same style.

Thanks again!
Shawn

.