Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Remove Electrical Junction Box

I agree, although I've been able to slip a flatbar between the box and stud
and just pry it off. You do have to push the non fastened side of the box
back into the wall first

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
wrote:
I would like to add 2 additional switches to 1 existing switch, as
I would like to install 2 additional lights. Since I cannot extend the
existing 1 Gang box (it is plastic and no side screw holes for
extension), the only option I have is to remove it and put in a new 3
gang junction box.

Use a drywall saw to enlarge the existing opening to accomodate the triple
gang box. Reach through the new opening to pull the wires out of the old
box. Now you can use a saw/hammer/chisel to destroy the old box, then
silp the nnew one in.