Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Default Remove Electrical Junction Box

wrote:
Hello,

Thanks everyone for contributing to my question about adding 2
switches to 1 existing switch. I like both ideas of either removing
the existing 1 gang junction box with a 3 gang box, or add a 2-gang
box
next to existing 1 gang box.

For the later suggestion, I face a challenge -- existing 1 gang
box does not have side knock out, and I am trying to tap the
electricity from this 1 gang box for the additional 2 gang box.

So go out the back - where the original wires come in to the existing box.

FYI, my house is built in 1999, and the existing 1 gang box is
non-metal (seems plastic to me).

Light brown? It's a variety of Bakelite.

Questions:
1) I guess I need to knock-out a hole at the back of the 1 gang box,
and extend the hot and neutral wires out to the back, turn around and
enter into the back (or knock-out) of 2 gang box ? I could not see
clearly, but I think there is a knock out at back of 1 gang box.
2) Since I plan to have 1 face plate of 3 switches, can I still add
the 2 gang box and all 3 switches still fit into the standard
3-switch face plate ? I worry it may not fit. In this case, any
special type of gang box I should buy, like the old metal gang box or
the new plastic gang box ?

There's another option: "The Clapper."