Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Short doors in house

My house (built in the early 60s) has short doors inside! I was
measuring because I want to replace all the interior doors as these
ones are crappy and one is warped. Anyway, the doors themselves are 78
1/4" high. Not 80" ! Will I even be able to FIND such a door or will
I have to tear out my doorways and rebuild? :-( I'm frowning.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
My house (built in the early 60s) has short doors inside! I was
measuring because I want to replace all the interior doors as these
ones are crappy and one is warped. Anyway, the doors themselves are 78
1/4" high. Not 80" ! Will I even be able to FIND such a door or will
I have to tear out my doorways and rebuild? :-( I'm frowning.

Could they be 80" doors that have been trimmed to clear thick carpeting or
throw rugs? Can you trim an 80" door that much and still have it look right?
With flush doors, that would be easy enough, but a paneled door may look cut
with a thinner bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sounds like they were trimmed to clear carpet and pad, probably for the
shag rug era.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is true that you can cut many doors to fit your current opening, but
I would consider enlarging your openings. This is very simple because
they are interior doors so you won't have to mess with siding and
brick. Also, because you are making your openings larger and not
smaller, you won't have to mess with adding and finishing drywall.
Also, your trim pieces will be much easier to find already pre-cut to
fit. Your re-sale value will alsom improve because a savvy homebuyer is
going to be a little deterred by having small door openings

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is true that you can cut many doors to fit your current opening, but
I would consider enlarging your openings. This is very simple because
they are interior doors so you won't have to mess with siding and
brick. Also, because you are making your openings larger and not
smaller, you won't have to mess with adding and finishing drywall.

Details please. Given the way a door opening is framed with headers and
such, how do you propose he makes the cuts so simply?
http://www.millardlumber.com/HowTo/doors/doors.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

I am a bit curious how is going to raise the
headers that should be at the tops of the door rough openings.
I'm not saying it is not the right thing to do. I am saying that
if you head down this path, you will be drywalling, taping,
texturing, and painting. The header should have been set 81 or 82
inches off finish floor.
Is there a large gap at the bottoms of the existing doors? Does
it appear that there is heavy carpet and pad? As others have
said, I imagine the original doors were 6-8's and have been cut
down for some reason. It would be nice to know why before
ordering a full set of doors. The top and bottom rails in the
doors can only be trimmed a limited amount or major work is
required to reset the rails. Take one of your doors off the hinge
and look at the bottom. Please tell us if they are hollow core
doors (if you aren't wishing you had 2 guys to work with the door,
it is hollow), panel doors, or solid core. Has the bottom rail
been replaced / glued / worked with in an obvious manner? If it
is a solid core flush door, does it have a wood rail at the bottom
of the door or visible particle board? Is the finish veneer
chipped or ragged on either face of the bottom of the door? Are
your doors painted or stained?

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is true that you can cut many doors to fit your current
opening, but
I would consider enlarging your openings. This is very simple
because
they are interior doors so you won't have to mess with siding
and
brick. Also, because you are making your openings larger and not
smaller, you won't have to mess with adding and finishing
drywall.
Also, your trim pieces will be much easier to find already
pre-cut to
fit. Your re-sale value will alsom improve because a savvy
homebuyer is
going to be a little deterred by having small door openings

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe

My house (built in the early 60s) has short doors inside! I was
measuring because I want to replace all the interior doors as these
ones are crappy and one is warped. Anyway, the doors themselves are 78
1/4" high. Not 80" ! Will I even be able to FIND such a door or will
I have to tear out my doorways and rebuild? :-( I'm frowning.

If there is 2" of space above the door frame, you can buy pre-hung
interior doors at the borg. If not, just look for doors/lumber your
local yellow pages. They'll be places that will make custom doors for
you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

My house (built in the early 60s) has short doors inside! I was
measuring because I want to replace all the interior doors as these
ones are crappy and one is warped. Anyway, the doors themselves are 78
1/4" high. Not 80" ! Will I even be able to FIND such a door or will
I have to tear out my doorways and rebuild? :-( I'm frowning.

Could they be 80" doors that have been trimmed to clear thick carpeting or
throw rugs? Can you trim an 80" door that much and still have it look right?
With flush doors, that would be easy enough, but a paneled door may look cut
with a thinner bottom.

Sounds like mobile home doors.

My panel doors have 8" from bottom of door to
panel and 4" from top of door to panel, so cutting
2" from the bottom wouldn't look funny. But one
would need to be concerned about where the ended
up with a panel door and one would certainly would
need to buy doors without hinge and latch
cutouts. Best bet would likely be to cut 1" from
the top and 1" from the bottom and 3/4" from the top.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

78 inch doors used to be a standard size 20 years ago.

Home Depot still sells them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
I am a bit curious how is going to raise the
headers that should be at the tops of the door rough openings.
I'm not saying it is not the right thing to do. I am saying that
if you head down this path, you will be drywalling, taping,
texturing, and painting. The header should have been set 81 or 82
inches off finish floor.

I was wondering the same thing. Just because you're gonna make it
bigger, not smaller, doesn't mean you're not in for a big project. In
fact, making it smaller could be easier, as you can just pad out the
header, etc.

[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is true that you can cut many doors to fit your current
opening, but
I would consider enlarging your openings. This is very simple
because
they are interior doors so you won't have to mess with siding
and
brick. Also, because you are making your openings larger and not
smaller, you won't have to mess with adding and finishing
drywall.
Also, your trim pieces will be much easier to find already
pre-cut to
fit. Your re-sale value will alsom improve because a savvy
homebuyer is
going to be a little deterred by having small door openings

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have recently purchased several 78 inch high doors. They are a
standard size. They don't stock them, you have to order them. Much
easier just to buy the right size in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Hogwild wrote:
78 inch doors used to be a standard size 20 years ago.

Home Depot still sells them.

Where? Certainly not in the part of the country
where I live. Were not standard 30 years ago or
40 years ago either. I haven't seen any 78" doors
at HD, must be a custom order item. Sure you
aren't talking about mobile home or trailer doors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The doors appear to have an air gap at the bottom to clear (and then
some) the carpet, so maybe HVAC was a concern. I appears possible that
80" doors would fit my doorways IF I had tile instead of carpet plus
pad. Whoever suggested that the house used to have shag is correct.
It DID used to, but not anymore. I'm a little worried about having to
chop the bottom off a pre-made panelled door, as the bottom usually
contains a crossmember support.

Oh well, I'll add this to my list of oddities about this old house...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Where? Certainly not in the part of the country where I live. Were
not standard 30 years ago or 40 years ago either. I haven't seen any
78" doors at HD, must be a custom order item. Sure you aren't talking
about mobile home or trailer doors?"

I said in my post that I had to order them. Now that I think about it,
I did order them at Lowes, but I could have ordered them at Home Depot
just the same. You have to go to the desk in the door area to order
them. They will not be in stock, even in the Home Depot is in a
neighborhood like mine where they would be in demand. And yes every
house in my neighborhood (built in 1950's) has 78 inch high door
everywhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

George E. Cawthon wrote:

If you need to cut 1" or less off the bottom, I
wouldn't worry about the cross member because it
will wider than that.

Not by a lot. On some of the hollow core doors I've been reworking
recently the bottom frame rail is just over an inch. Apparently they
don't design the door with site modifications in mind.

If the rail is under 1/2" after cutting the door down (drill a hole to
determine it's depth), I'll knock it loose and replace it with a more
substantial piece.

Replacing doors in 1920s house John Cee UK diy 10 January 7th 06 04:17 PM
Looking at Houses To Buy, What To Look For? phaeton Home Repair 34 October 25th 05 04:58 AM
Kitchen Cabinet Refacing--beware Quality Doors from Texas! Rock Home Repair 3 September 1st 05 10:53 PM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Repair 8 March 4th 04 05:40 AM