Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cee

Default Replacing doors in 1920s house

Hi,
Just in the process of doing up our 1920s semi. The house has nice
pitch-pine panelled interior doors, but unfortunately the previous
owner had them dipped and stripped and they are warped to the extent
that most of them won't close properly. Could anyone give me any tips
on a good source of replacements in a similar style? Would rather not
replace them with generic Wickes/B&Q type stuff, but there again don't
want to take out a 2nd mortgage for custom made jobbies.......
cheers
john

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On 6 Jan 2006 06:49:28 -0800, "John Cee"
wrote:

Hi,
Just in the process of doing up our 1920s semi. The house has nice
pitch-pine panelled interior doors, but unfortunately the previous
owner had them dipped and stripped and they are warped to the extent
that most of them won't close properly. Could anyone give me any tips
on a good source of replacements in a similar style? Would rather not
replace them with generic Wickes/B&Q type stuff, but there again don't
want to take out a 2nd mortgage for custom made jobbies.......
cheers
john

We have a local dedicated door shop, I suggest you find your local
one.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Cee wrote:
Hi,
Just in the process of doing up our 1920s semi. The house has nice
pitch-pine panelled interior doors, but unfortunately the previous
owner had them dipped and stripped and they are warped to the extent
that most of them won't close properly. Could anyone give me any tips
on a good source of replacements in a similar style? Would rather not
replace them with generic Wickes/B&Q type stuff, but there again don't
want to take out a 2nd mortgage for custom made jobbies.......
cheers
john

Straightening warped doors isnt impossible. If youre not in a hurry it
might be worth a go, costs nothing but a little time.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Just in the process of doing up our 1920s semi. The house has nice
pitch-pine panelled interior doors, but unfortunately the previous
owner had them dipped and stripped and they are warped to the extent
that most of them won't close properly. Could anyone give me any tips
on a good source of replacements in a similar style? Would rather not
replace them with generic Wickes/B&Q type stuff, but there again don't
want to take out a 2nd mortgage for custom made jobbies.......

I feel your pain, in our 30's semi most of the doors have been replaced and
not one of them matches.

These might help maybe ? http://www.doorwarehouse.co.uk

Failing that try www.salvo.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

| Hi,
| Just in the process of doing up our 1920s semi. The house has nice
| pitch-pine panelled interior doors, but unfortunately the previous
| owner had them dipped and stripped and they are warped to the extent
| that most of them won't close properly. Could anyone give me any tips
| on a good source of replacements in a similar style? Would rather not
| replace them with generic Wickes/B&Q type stuff, but there again don't
| want to take out a 2nd mortgage for custom made jobbies.......
| cheers

A local joiner made us a door, to my design, competitive with the
sheds

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

John Cee wrote:
Hi,
Just in the process of doing up our 1920s semi. The house has nice
pitch-pine panelled interior doors, but unfortunately the previous
owner had them dipped and stripped and they are warped to the extent
that most of them won't close properly.

Can you move the door stops? You can lose about 3/4" without
it being too apparent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
A local joiner made us a door, to my design, competitive with the
sheds

Probably a good bet. The Yellow Pages could be useful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
marble

wrote:

Hi,
Just in the process of doing up our 1920s semi. The house has nice
pitch-pine panelled interior doors, but unfortunately the previous
owner had them dipped and stripped and they are warped to the extent
that most of them won't close properly. Could anyone give me any tips
on a good source of replacements in a similar style? Would rather not
replace them with generic Wickes/B&Q type stuff, but there again don't
want to take out a 2nd mortgage for custom made jobbies.......
cheers
john

Are they like this?
http://www.lpddoors.co.uk/images/dx_popup.jpg
These seem to cost £94 for a one off but presumably some discount for
several.

There are some at my local saw mill which are the same basic form but
made with that red coloured close grained pine, Douglus Fir or
Canadian Redwood looking. With visable tennons, a very attractive
door. I'm not sure wheather they are the same as in the above picture
because I thought they were made by JBKind and are on sale for £129.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David P

This place has a huge range, including reclaimed too:

http://www.todd-doors.co.uk/

Based about 4 miles off the London end of the M40.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

wrote:

| Just in the process of doing up our 1920s semi. The house has nice
| pitch-pine panelled interior doors, but unfortunately the previous
| owner had them dipped and stripped and they are warped to the extent
| that most of them won't close properly. Could anyone give me any tips
| on a good source of replacements in a similar style? Would rather not
| replace them with generic Wickes/B&Q type stuff, but there again don't
| want to take out a 2nd mortgage for custom made jobbies.......
| cheers

A local joiner made us a door, to my design, competitive with the
sheds

When we wanted matching doors in our house when we had an extension
built we went down the bespoke route - about 100 GBP per door IIRC.

(Presumably you've had a shufti down at the local salvage yards?)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

David P wrote:
This place has a huge range, including reclaimed too:
http://www.todd-doors.co.uk/
Based about 4 miles off the London end of the M40.

Hope the doors work better than the website

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

Kitchen Cabinet Refacing--beware Quality Doors from Texas! Rock Home Repair 3 September 1st 05 10:53 PM
Replacing Garage Doors Mark D UK diy 9 August 14th 05 04:22 PM
Followup - Replacing sliding doors & windows Renata Home Repair 1 April 29th 05 12:20 PM
House Building Secrets markmcc Home Ownership 2 March 12th 05 05:08 PM
replacing the glass in doors? DavidD UK diy 5 September 9th 04 02:02 PM