Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Default Short doors in house

I am a bit curious how is going to raise the
headers that should be at the tops of the door rough openings.
I'm not saying it is not the right thing to do. I am saying that
if you head down this path, you will be drywalling, taping,
texturing, and painting. The header should have been set 81 or 82
inches off finish floor.
Is there a large gap at the bottoms of the existing doors? Does
it appear that there is heavy carpet and pad? As others have
said, I imagine the original doors were 6-8's and have been cut
down for some reason. It would be nice to know why before
ordering a full set of doors. The top and bottom rails in the
doors can only be trimmed a limited amount or major work is
required to reset the rails. Take one of your doors off the hinge
and look at the bottom. Please tell us if they are hollow core
doors (if you aren't wishing you had 2 guys to work with the door,
it is hollow), panel doors, or solid core. Has the bottom rail
been replaced / glued / worked with in an obvious manner? If it
is a solid core flush door, does it have a wood rail at the bottom
of the door or visible particle board? Is the finish veneer
chipped or ragged on either face of the bottom of the door? Are
your doors painted or stained?

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is true that you can cut many doors to fit your current
opening, but
I would consider enlarging your openings. This is very simple
because
they are interior doors so you won't have to mess with siding
and
brick. Also, because you are making your openings larger and not
smaller, you won't have to mess with adding and finishing
drywall.
Also, your trim pieces will be much easier to find already
pre-cut to
fit. Your re-sale value will alsom improve because a savvy
homebuyer is
going to be a little deterred by having small door openings