Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Default Toilet Draining Out

What would cause the water in the toilet tank to drain out completely?
There isn't any outside leak. Would it be the gasket at the bottom of the
ballcock? I put in a new ballcock thinking that this was the problem but
the water is still draining out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
. ..
What would cause the water in the toilet tank to drain out completely?
There isn't any outside leak. Would it be the gasket at the bottom of the
ballcock? I put in a new ballcock thinking that this was the problem but
the water is still draining out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best let a plumber "pipe up" on this group, but when that happened to me, I
found that my roof vent pipe had been plugged with leaf litter, so that when
another part of the house or street sewer piping created a partial vacuum
due to normal water outflow, the bowl was sucked dry. The ballcock is not
the problem in your case, as far as I know. Check for clogs in vent pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

"Roger" wrote in message
"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
. ..
What would cause the water in the toilet tank to drain out completely?
There isn't any outside leak. Would it be the gasket at the bottom of

the
ballcock? I put in a new ballcock thinking that this was the problem

but
the water is still draining out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best let a plumber "pipe up" on this group, but when that happened to me,

found that my roof vent pipe had been plugged with leaf litter, so that

when
another part of the house or street sewer piping created a partial vacuum
due to normal water outflow, the bowl was sucked dry. The ballcock is not
the problem in your case, as far as I know. Check for clogs in vent pipe.

He asked about the water in the tank, not the bowl. It has the be the
flapper valve at the bottom of the tank. I'm wondering why the water is not
coming on as the tank empties.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger

"Big Al" wrote in message

"Roger" wrote in message
[...]

I ought to stop watching tv while trying to read these posts. Sorry, J and
K! Ignore my answer. Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
. ..
What would cause the water in the toilet tank to drain out completely?
There isn't any outside leak. Would it be the gasket at the bottom of the
ballcock? I put in a new ballcock thinking that this was the problem but
the water is still draining out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll try again. Right, this is an emty tank; not bowl!
Check the flapper - does it leak?
Does the ballcock turn on the water when you lower the ball? It should.
There may be a clog/plug in the pipe, or the inlet valve itself is
defective.
Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff & Kathy Brown

It would help if I would tell the story right. I didn't mean the ballcock
but the flush valve. It all started with a hissing noise coming out of the
tank. I turned off the water to the tank and by the next morning the water
was down to the bottom of the tank. I went to a shop to get a replace flush
valve and the owner talked me into replacing the red gasket on the flush
valve first because that is what usually gets worn out first. Did that and
still a hissing noise and water drainage. Went back and got a complete
flush valve kit and replaced the whole thing. Filled up the tank, no
outside leak, no hissing sound. Turned the water off to make sure the water
wasn't leaking out from the inside and next morning, tank dry. Your turn.
Thanks

"Roger" wrote in message
. ..
"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
. ..
What would cause the water in the toilet tank to drain out completely?
There isn't any outside leak. Would it be the gasket at the bottom of
the ballcock? I put in a new ballcock thinking that this was the problem
but the water is still draining out. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

I'll try again. Right, this is an emty tank; not bowl!
Check the flapper - does it leak?
Does the ballcock turn on the water when you lower the ball? It should.
There may be a clog/plug in the pipe, or the inlet valve itself is
defective.
Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 11:18:59 -0500, "Jeff & Kathy Brown"
wrote:

It would help if I would tell the story right. I didn't mean the ballcock
but the flush valve. It all started with a hissing noise coming out of the
tank. I turned off the water to the tank and by the next morning the water
was down to the bottom of the tank.

The hissing was the ballcock throttling, allowing just enough water
into the tank to replace the water at the rate it was lost through the
leaky flapper or flush valve.

BTW: Sometimes just cleaning the flapper and seat, and checking for
proper alignment, can be a lifesaver. This is a common problem in
areas with hard water!

However, old worn-out parts should be replaced.
There are kits available to allow replacement of most internal parts
without removal of the tank (separation from the bowl).

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Thank John but that still doesn't help solve my problem of why the water is
still draining out of the tank. Also, I got the noise to stop after replace
the entire flush valve system but still the water drains.
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 09:47:17 -0500, "Jeff & Kathy Brown"
wrote:

Thank John but that still doesn't help solve my problem of why the water is
still draining out of the tank. Also, I got the noise to stop after replace
the entire flush valve system but still the water drains.

You may need a new toilet, then. ;-(

If the water is not showing up on the floor, then it's exiting via
the bowl. That's either a leaky flush (flapper) valve, leaky
threads/seat at the tank-to-bowl union, or cracked porcelain.

You may have to at least separate the tank from the bowl to see what
is going on, and at that point, you are probably just better off
replacing the entire commode. Unless you have a very
gaudy/rare/sentimental model, crappers aren't all that expensive...

....and you'll save water with the newer models, anyway.

Plumbing is a lot like a poker hand:
It is impossible to simultaneously have
a full house and a straight flush!

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~
"The first step in intelligent tinkering is to
save all the parts." - Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~