Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

Default Toilet Draining Out

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 11:18:59 -0500, "Jeff & Kathy Brown"
wrote:

It would help if I would tell the story right. I didn't mean the ballcock
but the flush valve. It all started with a hissing noise coming out of the
tank. I turned off the water to the tank and by the next morning the water
was down to the bottom of the tank.

The hissing was the ballcock throttling, allowing just enough water
into the tank to replace the water at the rate it was lost through the
leaky flapper or flush valve.

BTW: Sometimes just cleaning the flapper and seat, and checking for
proper alignment, can be a lifesaver. This is a common problem in
areas with hard water!

However, old worn-out parts should be replaced.
There are kits available to allow replacement of most internal parts
without removal of the tank (separation from the bowl).

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info