Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Default Repair toy steam engine

I have always wanted to get my toy steam engine working again that I got
many years ago but the whistle/safety valve on top of the tank fell off. I
know how to solder and sweat pipes but am unsure as the best way to try and
repair it and what kind of tool and solder to use and I believe the tank is
chromed. I have a 100 watt solder gun. It is a nice looking toy and I don't
want to damage it if it requires some special tool or technique. Where would
I take something like that to get repaired if I decide not to attempt to
repair it. The manufacturer is Wilesco in Germany and a quick Google search
did not find any repair center. It looks similar to the one in the link
below.--- Steve

http://www.yesteryeartoys.com/cgi-lo...g.cfm?view=D10

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

You might want to try this inquiry on rec.models.railroads and ask for
pointers to a "live steam" group in an area near you. The "live steam"
railroad modeling folks know a lot about fixing stuff like this.

If you can't find such an outfit near you, you might want to google on
"silver solder" or "high temperature solder(s).

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:41:39 -0600, "Steven L Umbach"
wrote:

I have always wanted to get my toy steam engine working again that I got
many years ago but the whistle/safety valve on top of the tank fell off. I
know how to solder and sweat pipes but am unsure as the best way to try and
repair it and what kind of tool and solder to use and I believe the tank is
chromed. I have a 100 watt solder gun. It is a nice looking toy and I don't
want to damage it if it requires some special tool or technique. Where would
I take something like that to get repaired if I decide not to attempt to
repair it. The manufacturer is Wilesco in Germany and a quick Google search
did not find any repair center. It looks similar to the one in the link
below.--- Steve

http://www.yesteryeartoys.com/cgi-lo...g.cfm?view=D10

I haven't see thepicture yyet, but I would consider glueing (sp?) it.

Maybe it would be better soldered if you were trying to preserve some
antique value but for use, glue is easiert to control and easier to
get a good job. And, you can later take off some glues, and solder
it later, if that ever matters.

I like ambroid cement, removable
5-minute epoxy quick, sticks to a variety of things,
read the labels
30 mintue epoxy
PC-70 really strong, can be applied
even to a dripping
pipe
Elmers white gule good for porous, like wood.
and the big?? brand? of contact cement in the red tube.
the only flexible glues
I know, for cloth, vinyl,
etc.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:18:53 GMT, Commodore Joe Redcloud©
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

These are working steam engines. That boiler gets HOT and pressurized.
I don't think glue is going to do it in this case.

I thought it was Lionel.

Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:11:42 GMT, Commodore Joe Redcloud
wrote:

I thought it was Lionel.

Nope! These are really well made toy steam engines that actually run. You fill
the boiler with water, and burn a little tray of solid fuel under it to build up
a head of steam. Some people build (or buy) miniature sawmills and other devices
that the steam engine can power. I still have the one I got for Christmas about
45 years ago and I still drag it out every couple of years and fire it up.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Cool

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

It sounds like a Jensen Steam Engine. Made in Jeannette PA.
They have a website, they will repair yjeir units if you ship them your
steam engine, provided they made it. Or you can buy a new one. My dad
recently got his repaired.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Try this:

http://www.jensensteamengines.com/

And this:

http://www.toysteam.net/

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair

check with a local plumber, since they solder copper fittings all the
time, or ask at a local welding shop, since they tend to get all sorts
of custom jobs.

heck even a roofer can probably fix it, provided they do copper roofs

its actually easy, clean both parts of all mating surfaces, apply flux,
which helps clean and prep surfaces. put pieces together clamp if
necessary. probably best to use a propane torch, heat the pieces, only
apply solder once all parts are hot, always apply solder to the parts,
DONT HEAT SOLDER WITH FLAME HEAT SURFACES, LET SOLDER MELT AND FLOW!
wipe with cloth to smooth it out

there are books about soldering

when done let cool, clean the area thoroughly and enjoy your repair!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

My sadly long-gone Wilesco was the simple one with the single acting
oscillating cylinder. However the safety valve and whistle on the one in
the photo appear the same as I remember on mine. I'm not sure what you
mean when you say they fell off. They screw into separate openings on the
boiler (which IIRC was brass and either nickel or chrome plated.) Perhaps
you've just lost them? If you cannot find them just order from the maker:

http://www.wilesco.de/wilesco/us/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

The plug you remove to fill the water on mine is threaded but the whistle
was just soldered on and fell off on day. I guess I was lucky it did not
rocket off ! --- Steve

wrote:

[...]

On mine, that hole was threaded.

Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Ah the memories. I want to fire mine up again at age 54. I used to love
running it. I had a wood workshop that I could attach to mine. Mine is about
the same age as yours. My Uncle got it for me after I saw it in the window
at Marshal Fields in downtown Chicago when I was a kid. I took out my Lionel
train the other day that is about the same age and has not been used in more
then 40 years and got it running. It has a motor with replaceable brushes
though I cleaned up the old ones and steel wooled the part of the motor the
brushes contact [can't think of proper name offhand] and oiled the gears to
get it to work like new. --- Steve

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Thanks. I was wondering about that. I have done a lot of soldering on
electronics but it has a nickel tank and getting the whistle to stay in
place looks to be a bit of a challenge. I probably will pay someone to do
it. I could buy a new one but it just would not be the same. I always get
to thinking about doing it every time Christmas rolls around. --- Steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
check with a local plumber, since they solder copper fittings all the
time, or ask at a local welding shop, since they tend to get all sorts
of custom jobs.

heck even a roofer can probably fix it, provided they do copper roofs

its actually easy, clean both parts of all mating surfaces, apply flux,
which helps clean and prep surfaces. put pieces together clamp if
necessary. probably best to use a propane torch, heat the pieces, only
apply solder once all parts are hot, always apply solder to the parts,
DONT HEAT SOLDER WITH FLAME HEAT SURFACES, LET SOLDER MELT AND FLOW!
wipe with cloth to smooth it out

there are books about soldering

when done let cool, clean the area thoroughly and enjoy your repair!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

The filler cap screws in but the whistle just was soldered on. The photo is
not exactly my model but I just wanted to show a picture to make sure those
interested had an idea what I was talking about. Almost all kids today would
not have a clue as to what a toy steam engine is. So sad. Thanks. ---
Steve

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
nk.net...
My sadly long-gone Wilesco was the simple one with the single acting
oscillating cylinder. However the safety valve and whistle on the one in
the photo appear the same as I remember on mine. I'm not sure what you
mean when you say they fell off. They screw into separate openings on the
boiler (which IIRC was brass and either nickel or chrome plated.) Perhaps
you've just lost them? If you cannot find them just order from the maker:

http://www.wilesco.de/wilesco/us/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

All this talk about steam engines makes me nostalgic for the one I had.
Mine was heated electrically and I got it back in the mid-1950s. Had great
fun with it. For some reason I can't even remember what happened to it.
Damn!

On Thu 12 Jan 2006 11:34:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steven L
[...]

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Texas Joe

Yelp, buy a new one. Thats is how Commrade Joe repairs everything.

TJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

All this talk about steam engines makes me nostalgic for the one I
had. Mine was heated electrically and I got it back in the mid-1950s.

Sorry but electrically heated seems to defeat the purpose!

I notice that they all have water sight windows now which mine lacked. I
suppose some people were running them dry, overheating, and having the end
caps--probably brazed on--blow off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus wrote:
All this talk about steam engines makes me nostalgic for the one I
had. Mine was heated electrically and I got it back in the mid-1950s.

Sorry but electrically heated seems to defeat the purpose!

Why, when I was a kid we had to go mine the coal ourselves, using our
fingernails to dig!

I'm not sure that going out and buying a little can of sterno is any
worse than running the boiler off of electricity. The electrical
operation certainly sounds more convenient and the kid and his/her
parents might be more likely to fire it up more often.

Tim.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Oh yeah! Watching the water boil was half the fun not to mention the anxiety
of waiting for it to start boiling to know you were on your way to seeing
the flywheel cranking. I watched a show on the history channel about steam
locomotives a while back. Occasionally they would blow up with a mess of
dead bodies and they would find ton pieces of cast iron from the engine
hundreds of yards away. --- Steve

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
nk.net...
All this talk about steam engines makes me nostalgic for the one I
had. Mine was heated electrically and I got it back in the mid-1950s.

Sorry but electrically heated seems to defeat the purpose!

I notice that they all have water sight windows now which mine lacked. I
suppose some people were running them dry, overheating, and having the end
caps--probably brazed on--blow off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

Why, when I was a kid we had to go mine the coal ourselves, using our
fingernails to dig!

Obviously a clean burning fuel for indoors is a must but that aside I think
I would have enjoyed burning little crumbs of real coal especially for the
smell. Probably a pain to get a coal fire started though. I'm surprised
they didn't / don't just fuel these things with alcohol.

The reason an electrically heated boiler seems pointless is that with the
possible exception of an unverified reference to Italy having built
electrically heated steam locomotives anyone having electricity who desires
mechanical energy is going to use an electric motor!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Steve Kraus wrote:
All this talk about steam engines makes me nostalgic for the one I
had. Mine was heated electrically and I got it back in the mid-1950s.

Sorry but electrically heated seems to defeat the purpose!

Why, when I was a kid we had to go mine the coal ourselves, using our
fingernails to dig!

I lived in that town! You forgot to mention that the road to the coal mine
was uphill both ways, and there was always two feet or more of snow on the
ground, year-round.

I'm not sure that going out and buying a little can of sterno is any
worse than running the boiler off of electricity. The electrical
operation certainly sounds more convenient and the kid and his/her
parents might be more likely to fire it up more often.

Tim.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

BTW, we are now importing coal. From Canada? Mexico? How about all the
way from Africa?! I'm not making this up.