Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Default Repair toy steam engine

Ah the memories. I want to fire mine up again at age 54. I used to love
running it. I had a wood workshop that I could attach to mine. Mine is about
the same age as yours. My Uncle got it for me after I saw it in the window
at Marshal Fields in downtown Chicago when I was a kid. I took out my Lionel
train the other day that is about the same age and has not been used in more
then 40 years and got it running. It has a motor with replaceable brushes
though I cleaned up the old ones and steel wooled the part of the motor the
brushes contact [can't think of proper name offhand] and oiled the gears to
get it to work like new. --- Steve

"Commodore Joe Redcloud" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:40:56 -0500, mm wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:18:53 GMT, Commodore Joe Redcloud©
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:01:39 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:41:39 -0600, "Steven L Umbach"
wrote:

I have always wanted to get my toy steam engine working again that I
got
many years ago but the whistle/safety valve on top of the tank fell
off. I
know how to solder and sweat pipes but am unsure as the best way to try
and
repair it and what kind of tool and solder to use and I believe the
tank is
chromed. I have a 100 watt solder gun. It is a nice looking toy and I
don't
want to damage it if it requires some special tool or technique. Where
would
I take something like that to get repaired if I decide not to attempt
repair it. The manufacturer is Wilesco in Germany and a quick Google
search
did not find any repair center. It looks similar to the one in the link
below.--- Steve

http://www.yesteryeartoys.com/cgi-lo...g.cfm?view=D10

I haven't see thepicture yyet, but I would consider glueing (sp?) it.

Maybe it would be better soldered if you were trying to preserve some
antique value but for use, glue is easiert to control and easier to
get a good job. And, you can later take off some glues, and solder
it later, if that ever matters.

I like ambroid cement, removable
5-minute epoxy quick, sticks to a variety of things,
read the labels
30 mintue epoxy
PC-70 really strong, can be applied
even to a dripping
pipe
Elmers white gule good for porous, like wood.
and the big?? brand? of contact cement in the red tube.
the only flexible glues
I know, for cloth, vinyl,
etc.

These are working steam engines. That boiler gets HOT and pressurized.
I don't think glue is going to do it in this case.

I thought it was Lionel.

Nope! These are really well made toy steam engines that actually run. You
fill
the boiler with water, and burn a little tray of solid fuel under it to
build up
a head of steam. Some people build (or buy) miniature sawmills and other
devices
that the steam engine can power. I still have the one I got for Christmas
about
45 years ago and I still drag it out every couple of years and fire it up.

Commodore Joe Redcloud