Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Repair toy steam engine

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:41:39 -0600, "Steven L Umbach"
wrote:

I have always wanted to get my toy steam engine working again that I got
many years ago but the whistle/safety valve on top of the tank fell off. I
know how to solder and sweat pipes but am unsure as the best way to try and
repair it and what kind of tool and solder to use and I believe the tank is
chromed. I have a 100 watt solder gun. It is a nice looking toy and I don't
want to damage it if it requires some special tool or technique. Where would
I take something like that to get repaired if I decide not to attempt to
repair it. The manufacturer is Wilesco in Germany and a quick Google search
did not find any repair center. It looks similar to the one in the link
below.--- Steve

http://www.yesteryeartoys.com/cgi-lo...g.cfm?view=D10

I haven't see thepicture yyet, but I would consider glueing (sp?) it.

Maybe it would be better soldered if you were trying to preserve some
antique value but for use, glue is easiert to control and easier to
get a good job. And, you can later take off some glues, and solder
it later, if that ever matters.

I like ambroid cement, removable
5-minute epoxy quick, sticks to a variety of things,
read the labels
30 mintue epoxy
PC-70 really strong, can be applied
even to a dripping
pipe
Elmers white gule good for porous, like wood.
and the big?? brand? of contact cement in the red tube.
the only flexible glues
I know, for cloth, vinyl,
etc.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let