Mikepier

Default steam boiler leak repair

I have a Weil Mclean steam boiler about 11 years old. It's been a
workhorse and never gave me a problem up until last night. I noticed
water leaking from the bottom. Upon further inspection I found that the
end section has a small leak at a seam where it bends to an inside 90
degree angle. The leak is not at the joint where the sections meet, it
is on the one section. Seems like when this section was formed at the
foundry they might have not have closed the seem good enough. I can
gain access to the point of the leak. Do they make some kind of repair
epoxy or something else that is high-heat rated to fix this? It is
below the water line.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Weil Mclean steam boiler about 11 years old. It's been a
workhorse and never gave me a problem up until last night. I noticed
water leaking from the bottom. Upon further inspection I found that the
end section has a small leak at a seam where it bends to an inside 90
degree angle. The leak is not at the joint where the sections meet, it
is on the one section. Seems like when this section was formed at the
foundry they might have not have closed the seem good enough. I can
gain access to the point of the leak. Do they make some kind of repair
epoxy or something else that is high-heat rated to fix this? It is
below the water line.

I've seen guys "patch" them, but you are just putting a band-aid on it doing
that. Best thing to do is get a new section and replace it. It may still be
under warranty, too. Contact Weil McLain.....

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Weil Mclean steam boiler about 11 years old. It's been a
workhorse and never gave me a problem up until last night. I noticed
water leaking from the bottom. Upon further inspection I found that the
end section has a small leak at a seam where it bends to an inside 90
degree angle. The leak is not at the joint where the sections meet, it
is on the one section. Seems like when this section was formed at the
foundry they might have not have closed the seem good enough. I can
gain access to the point of the leak. Do they make some kind of repair
epoxy or something else that is high-heat rated to fix this? It is
below the water line.

The bad new is that no, if it is cast iron it cannot be properly welded and
no sealant is going to provide a proper seal.

I think the good news is that only a section has to be replaced. At least on
their larger boilers you can remove and replace a section as opposed to
replacing the entire boiler.

You may also want to double check the date installed and if a protection
plan was purchased. W-M offers a 10 year deal but it has to be bought
within the first year of ownership.

Ed Clarke

On 2005-02-20, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The bad new is that no, if it is cast iron it cannot be properly welded and
no sealant is going to provide a proper seal.

I think the good news is that only a section has to be replaced. At least on
their larger boilers you can remove and replace a section as opposed to
replacing the entire boiler.

You may also want to double check the date installed and if a protection
plan was purchased. W-M offers a 10 year deal but it has to be bought
within the first year of ownership.

I tried the patch and yes indeed, it failed. I did have a protection plan from
W-M, but it only covered a new boiler. Still cost me about $1200 for labor.

--
This signature left blank.
Mikepier

I called Weil Mclain and they said warranty is 10 years only for parts,
labor is extra. So even if I was covered, I would still have to pay
someone to replace 1 section of boiler.
I am going to try the boiler liquid sealer and some kind of epoxy to
try and get me throught the heating season. Then I'll decide what to
do. This is a 360,000 BTU boiler for a 6 family Apt building, so it's
kind of hard to shut it down in the winter for repairs.

Bubba

On 23 Feb 2005 04:20:49 -0800, "Mikepier"
wrote:

I called Weil Mclain and they said warranty is 10 years only for parts,
labor is extra. So even if I was covered, I would still have to pay
someone to replace 1 section of boiler.
I am going to try the boiler liquid sealer and some kind of epoxy to
try and get me throught the heating season. Then I'll decide what to
do. This is a 360,000 BTU boiler for a 6 family Apt building, so it's
kind of hard to shut it down in the winter for repairs.

Thats a waste of time and you might just find that the liquid sealer
and epoxy voids your warranty. Check first.
Your unit can be torn down and back up in a day.
Do it. Do it right. Do it right the first time. Your tennants will
love you.
Bubba
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bubba" wrote in message
Thats a waste of time and you might just find that the liquid sealer
and epoxy voids your warranty. Check first.
Your unit can be torn down and back up in a day.
Do it. Do it right. Do it right the first time. Your tennants will
love you.
Bubba

Holy crap! I actually agree with Bubba.

Dan

wrote:

I called Weil Mclain and they said warranty is 10 years only for parts,
labor is extra. So even if I was covered, I would still have to pay
someone to replace 1 section of boiler.
I am going to try the boiler liquid sealer and some kind of epoxy to
try and get me throught the heating season. Then I'll decide what to
do. This is a 360,000 BTU boiler for a 6 family Apt building, so it's
kind of hard to shut it down in the winter for repairs.

I recommend going to heatinghelp.com and asking at the wall. At this
point in the winter I'd try boiler stop leak just to get through the
season and then examine alternatives. With a steam boiler, I suspect
poor water chemistry control and if one section is leaking, the others
may not be far behind. The old guys would sometimes put oatmeal in
for emergency stopleak. At this point about anything is worth a try
just to finish the heating season. JB Weld is sometimes somewhat
successful at these kind of repairs, depending on flame exposure.
Good luck!

Dan
HeatMan

wrote:

[...]

JB Weld won't work on the boiler sections. It won't take the heat from the
burners.

It works great on the radiators.

Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Noisy banging boiler what is the cause? Tim UK diy 8 November 3rd 04 09:36 PM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler pilot light went out David Hearn UK diy 6 October 26th 03 11:54 PM