Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Default Wish me luck

I live in a 50 or 60 year old house with one tiny bathroom and 2
females. The bathroom needs to be renovated (I've been putting it off
for a couple of years, but the tiles just fell off the walls into the
bathtub last weekend.)

The ceiling is OK, and we'll probably reuse the recently replaced toilet
and the vanity. Everything else needs to be replaced, including the tub
and the window and most of the plaster. Did I mention that this is the
only bathroom in the house?

(Looking thru the sporting goods catalog for a bucket with a toilet seat
to sit out in the garage)

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I live in a 50 or 60 year old house with one tiny bathroom and 2 females.
The bathroom needs to be renovated (I've been putting it off for a couple
of years, but the tiles just fell off the walls into the bathtub last
weekend.)

The ceiling is OK, and we'll probably reuse the recently replaced toilet
and the vanity. Everything else needs to be replaced, including the tub
and the window and most of the plaster. Did I mention that this is the
only bathroom in the house?

(Looking thru the sporting goods catalog for a bucket with a toilet seat
to sit out in the garage)

Bob

If you're serious about the makeshift bathroom, go to www.westmarine.com.
They sell portable toilets for small boats. I've never owned one, but I
believe you put some sort of chemical in there to keep the Disgustingness
Index down to 8. Without the chemical, it would be a 10.

Good luck. You're out of your mind. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Don't worry. I am sure the contractor will work efficiently and get
everything done on time. (LOL)

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I live in a 50 or 60 year old house with one tiny bathroom and 2 females.
The bathroom needs to be renovated (I've been putting it off for a couple
of years, but the tiles just fell off the walls into the bathtub last
weekend.)

The ceiling is OK, and we'll probably reuse the recently replaced toilet
and the vanity. Everything else needs to be replaced, including the tub
and the window and most of the plaster. Did I mention that this is the
only bathroom in the house?

(Looking thru the sporting goods catalog for a bucket with a toilet seat
to sit out in the garage)

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnH

(Looking thru the sporting goods catalog for a bucket with a toilet
seat to sit out in the garage)

Bob

The toilet etc. should be able to be kept functional during the revamp,
aside for the small amount of time possibly replacing the tile under it.

The bath / shower might be a different issue though; hopefully you can
borrow a friends or relatives in the meantime. You might even be able to
make an outdoor shower.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:30:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

(Looking thru the sporting goods catalog for a bucket with a toilet seat
to sit out in the garage)

Well, if you're keeping the toilet, I don't think you'll have to do
without a toilet much.

Bob

If you're serious about the makeshift bathroom, go to www.westmarine.com.
They sell portable toilets for small boats. I've never owned one, but I

I used to pick up things for a friend who was building a house in a
rural area. I actually found a portable toilet in a dumpster, but I
decided he wasn't that good a friend. But he bought one. He kept
trying to get his weekend guests, after the house was usable, to go
outside no matter what time of year (upstate NY) so he wouldn't have
to do maintenance on the toilet.

But the guy was a jackass. We went camping in N.C. with his
girlfriend and her 10 year old daughter, and on the way back, just as
495 approaches the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, the little girl had to go to
the bathroom. We took an exit, and he wanted to stop on the ramp,
about 20 feet up a hill, and have the little girl go in the reeds
between the ramp and metal railing. All of about 2 feet wide, while
we parked there and traffic slowed to pass us.

He was a jerk -- that was one example of many -- and that's why we
don't talk anymore, as of 15 years ago.

believe you put some sort of chemical in there to keep the Disgustingness
Index down to 8. Without the chemical, it would be a 10.

I wonder how much it costs to rent a whole port-a-potty for a... week,
or two. Probably quite a bit. I'm 58 and I remember when they were
absolutely disgusting. But 30 or so years ago, they came up with
something that actually keeps them from smelling that bad inside.
Either that or my nose got broken, but I don't think that is it.

Good luck. You're out of your mind. :-)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"mm" wrote in message
news
But 30 or so years ago, they came up with
something that actually keeps them from smelling that bad inside.
Either that or my nose got broken, but I don't think that is it.

I think the main solution is to not **** all over the insides of the
structure. That eliminates the possibility of it working in any public
venue. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

news
wrote:

[...]

when i was building my house, it was only about $30/month or so.

Good luck. You're out of your mind. :-)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

JohnH wrote:
(Looking thru the sporting goods catalog for a bucket with a toilet
seat to sit out in the garage)

Bob

The toilet etc. should be able to be kept functional during the revamp,
aside for the small amount of time possibly replacing the tile under it.

The bath / shower might be a different issue though; hopefully you can
borrow a friends or relatives in the meantime. You might even be able to
make an outdoor shower.

Outdoor shower could be interesting here in Minnesota in January and
February. OTOH, it reduces the disgustingness of that bucket out in the
garage ;-)

The toilet will end up being pulled briefly and reinstalled several
times to keep from damaging it during demolition. I've got lots of wax
rings.

One thing I probably need to have done is to lower the toilet flange
about 1/2 inch. It's currently just a little too high for the floor, so
all the wax squeezes out of the joint and the toilet rocks after a
while. It's a cast iron stack, so I don't think I'll try replacing the
flange myself. (Or instead I might raise the floor, if I can figure out
a good way to do the threshhold.)

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
JohnH wrote:
[...]

What about pouring a very thin layer of concrete, maybe an inch high, which
would raise the toilet to the right level versus the pipe? Make the
"pedestal" just large enough to do its job, but not so large that people
smash their toes on it. Then, send the wife to a tile store for the
appropriate supplies to decorate the pedestal with festive, gay
flowery-doodle tiles. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Doug Kanter wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

JohnH wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of just using the existing 1" ceramic tiles as a base to
put down new 4" tiles. That would raise the stool off the flange by the
thickness of the new floor, which is about right. And I wouldn't have
to demolish the old floor that way, just cover it with a very thin layer
of mason's mix (or something similar) to fill and level the grout lines.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

JohnH wrote:

[...]

Might work. And if not, it sounds like you're already pretty good at
reinstalling toilets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob,

Thresholds are easy to remove and raise. What I ended up doing was
cutting ceramic tile in the shape slightly smaller than the base and
attaching it with silicone caulk to the base of the toilet. Not the
best but it works. Only downside is it is hard to get an attractive
bead of caulk.

Take a look at this site. They have a great forum for tiling.

www.johnbridge.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

I wonder how much it costs to rent a whole port-a-potty for a... week,

Around $200 for each week or fraction thereof, last time I did it.

They don't stink as much if you can just get people to put the
damn lid down.

or two. Probably quite a bit. I'm 58 and I remember when they were
absolutely disgusting. But 30 or so years ago, they came up with
something that actually keeps them from smelling that bad inside.
Either that or my nose got broken, but I don't think that is it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Doug Kanter wrote:

Might work. And if not, it sounds like you're already pretty good at
reinstalling toilets.

That comes with having kids.

Best regards,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

Might work. And if not, it sounds like you're already pretty good at
reinstalling toilets.

That comes with having kids.

Best regards,
Bob

What the hell do your kids do to the toilet??? When my son started pitching
in little league, he hit me once in the cohones and once in the mouth (at
80+ mph). And, hooked me in the leg and hand with fish hooks. That I can
forgive. But the toilet....I would've had to murder him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ahh if you have a basement how about installing a toilet down there and
perhaps a cheap shower or rig up a plastic curtain right over the floor
drain.

Homes with just ONE toilet are harder to sell

DIY can be fun, plastic pipe is easy to work with and exytra toilet is
very useful!!

save money on batrhroom rehab too. less working around things for
contractor

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:26:37 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

I wonder how much it costs to rent a whole port-a-potty for a... week,

Around $200 for each week or fraction thereof, last time I did it.

You and Charles have to work this one out. He says 30!.

Does 30 a week include pickup and delivery? OTOH, does 200 include
pickup and delivery each and every week?

They don't stink as much if you can just get people to put the
damn lid down.

In 1955 the outhouse at YMCA camp smelled absolutely terrible. Now
even the dirtiest portapots don't smell nearly as bad. AFAICT. I
think they invented something, not just perfume. that they put in the
sewage compartment that counteracts the smell. Because none of the
last 20 portapots I've used have smelled very bad at all.

or two. Probably quite a bit. I'm 58 and I remember when they were
absolutely disgusting. But 30 or so years ago, they came up with
something that actually keeps them from smelling that bad inside.
Either that or my nose got broken, but I don't think that is it.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"mm" wrote in message

In 1955 the outhouse at YMCA camp smelled absolutely terrible. Now
even the dirtiest portapots don't smell nearly as bad. AFAICT. I
think they invented something, not just perfume. that they put in the
sewage compartment that counteracts the smell. Because none of the
last 20 portapots I've used have smelled very bad at all.

Have you been in one on a hot day, at an outdoor event with 15,000 people
passing through over 12 hours? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:18:18 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:26:37 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

I wonder how much it costs to rent a whole port-a-potty for a... week,

Around $200 for each week or fraction thereof, last time I did it.

You and Charles have to work this one out. He says 30!.

Does 30 a week include pickup and delivery? OTOH, does 200 include
pickup and delivery each and every week?

Good point, this was at a fairly remote location..
And a standard non-handicapped porta-john is
supposed to be good for 200 "uses",
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:22:12 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

In 1955 the outhouse at YMCA camp smelled absolutely terrible. Now
even the dirtiest portapots don't smell nearly as bad. AFAICT. I
think they invented something, not just perfume. that they put in the
sewage compartment that counteracts the smell. Because none of the
last 20 portapots I've used have smelled very bad at all.

Have you been in one on a hot day, at an outdoor event with 15,000 people
passing through over 12 hours? :-)

Good points. Hot day? I can't remember the last time.
15000 people? never.

But there weren't 15000 people at the Y either, only about 50 or 60
and most used the flush toilets (the new Joe.)

I wish I could live my life a second time, even very quickly, just to
check thiese things out. But I guess I can't.

But I do try. Back to my home town and to the YMCA to find out where
the camp was. The guy at the front desk knew. It was sold to an arts
camp iirc a couple decades ago, and to a private party a decade ago.
I was 9 the last time I'd been there, so I didn't remember the route.
but he knew I checked it out. The river had moved closer to the camp
and so the obstacle course (my favorite part) was on the other side of
the river. A couple cabins were torn down, the old Joe was buried,
and the new Joe didn't seem the same either.

I don't know why the Y didn't need a camp anymore. Either it needed
one and couldn't afford it, or the kids went farther away to fancier
camps, or there were no kids because Western Pa. is losing young
parents. My grammar school is leased to an outside organization. But
that might not represent the whole town. When the old people who live
there (my parents generation and a bit younger) die or go to Florida,
I think young people will buy those houses and the school will reopen.
I'll go back in another 10 years and check it out.

Because the town is not growing, no one moves. My n'hood is just as
nice as it used to be -- the whole town has barely changed in 40 years
--, but the corner grocery and the toy store are both medical supply
stores. Of course when they die, they'll have to move.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob,

Thresholds are easy to remove and raise.

For the toilet flange, what I ended up doing was
cutting ceramic tile in the shape slightly smaller than the base of the
toilet and
attaching it with silicone caulk to the base of the toilet. Not the
best but it works. Only downside is it is hard to get an attractive
bead of caulk.

Take a look at this site. They have a great forum for tiling.

www.johnbridge.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:26:37 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

I wonder how much it costs to rent a whole port-a-potty for a... week,

Around $200 for each week or fraction thereof, last time I did it.

You and Charles have to work this one out. He says 30!.

Does 30 a week include pickup and delivery? OTOH, does 200 include
pickup and delivery each and every week?

Good point, this was at a fairly remote location..
And a standard non-handicapped porta-john is
supposed to be good for 200 "uses",

since it took me 6 months to build the house, it would have been a small
fortune for the mandatory portapotty for the workmen at 200/week. the
servicing was done weekly. the company doing the servicing was pretty local
and in a hot (figuratively and literally, being just north of phoenix in the
summertime) realestate market with lots of other building going on in the
neighborhood.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Tom is offline

I did a similar remodel many years ago in a house with one bathroom. It
took about two weeks and I had to reset the toilet everytime someone wanted
to use it. You get quite proficient after awhile.

Tom

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I live in a 50 or 60 year old house with one tiny bathroom and 2 females.
The bathroom needs to be renovated (I've been putting it off for a couple
of years, but the tiles just fell off the walls into the bathtub last
weekend.)

The ceiling is OK, and we'll probably reuse the recently replaced toilet
and the vanity. Everything else needs to be replaced, including the tub
and the window and most of the plaster. Did I mention that this is the
only bathroom in the house?

(Looking thru the sporting goods catalog for a bucket with a toilet seat
to sit out in the garage)

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I live in a 50 or 60 year old house with one tiny bathroom and 2 females.
The bathroom needs to be renovated (I've been putting it off for a couple
of years, but the tiles just fell off the walls into the bathtub last
weekend.)

The ceiling is OK, and we'll probably reuse the recently replaced toilet
and the vanity. Everything else needs to be replaced, including the tub
and the window and most of the plaster. Did I mention that this is the
only bathroom in the house?

(Looking thru the sporting goods catalog for a bucket with a toilet seat
to sit out in the garage)

Put in another bathroom in a nearby closet first...