Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Default Wish me luck

Doug Kanter wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

JohnH wrote:

(Looking thru the sporting goods catalog for a bucket with a toilet
seat to sit out in the garage)

Bob

The toilet etc. should be able to be kept functional during the revamp,
aside for the small amount of time possibly replacing the tile under it.

The bath / shower might be a different issue though; hopefully you can
borrow a friends or relatives in the meantime. You might even be able to
make an outdoor shower.

Outdoor shower could be interesting here in Minnesota in January and
February. OTOH, it reduces the disgustingness of that bucket out in the
garage ;-)

The toilet will end up being pulled briefly and reinstalled several times
to keep from damaging it during demolition. I've got lots of wax rings.

One thing I probably need to have done is to lower the toilet flange about
1/2 inch. It's currently just a little too high for the floor, so all the
wax squeezes out of the joint and the toilet rocks after a while. It's a
cast iron stack, so I don't think I'll try replacing the flange myself.
(Or instead I might raise the floor, if I can figure out a good way to do
the threshhold.)

Bob

What about pouring a very thin layer of concrete, maybe an inch high, which
would raise the toilet to the right level versus the pipe? Make the
"pedestal" just large enough to do its job, but not so large that people
smash their toes on it. Then, send the wife to a tile store for the
appropriate supplies to decorate the pedestal with festive, gay
flowery-doodle tiles. :-)

I was thinking of just using the existing 1" ceramic tiles as a base to
put down new 4" tiles. That would raise the stool off the flange by the
thickness of the new floor, which is about right. And I wouldn't have
to demolish the old floor that way, just cover it with a very thin layer
of mason's mix (or something similar) to fill and level the grout lines.

Bob