Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Ted Bunten

Default Amana and Bryant's top of the line heatpumps?

I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are less
expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar
performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message
I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are less
expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar
performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Oh, gawd...

Here we go again.....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

"Bob" wrote in message
Bryant seems to hold up pretty good, not many Amanas around here.

Brant - same as Carrier

Amana- same as Goodman

(Yes, Amana appliances are a different story)

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message
I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are
less
expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar
performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean

Bob wrote:
Bryant seems to hold up pretty good, not many Amanas around here.

Bryant is a Carrier... Amana is OK too. It is owned by Janitrol(Goodman)
which is in turn owned by ICP(Inter-City-Products). The same folks that
own Carrier and Bryant. Amana is a design by itself. and does not fit
the Janitrol Profiles. Bryant is just a cheaper priced clone of Carrier.
Life span of all are about the same. The Amana line has come out with
a new warranty that is great. MidAmerica Energy in Iowa has a $250.00
rebate for anything 92% efficient with an extra $25.00 for every
percentage point above 92% efficiency. The Federal Government is
also giving a tax break of $150 for all 95% and above efficiencies.
To this the Feds are adding another $50.00 for units with variable speed
blowers added to the above. So if your state is with Energy companies
Program You can maximize savings with the rebate from the energy company
and the taxe deduction for a possible total of $525.00. Not exactly
chump change. There are several manufacturers that now have 95% plus
units that will fit these requirements.

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message

I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are less
expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar
performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Rusht Limpalless

Installed a goodman furnace i bought off the internet myself. Install was
easy, furnace works great and is set up perfect (had a licenced installer
check) Saved $5k and recommend you do so as well.
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a
job site.

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message

I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are
less
expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar
performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Noon-Air

Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a
job site.

Only because its the cheapest POS available.
I hope the serial number has been run to make sure the unit wasn't stolen
from a job site.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

"Rusht Limpalless" wrote in message
.. .
Installed a goodman furnace i bought off the internet myself. Install was
easy, furnace works great and is set up perfect (had a licenced installer
check) Saved $5k and recommend you do so as well.
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a
job site.

You saved $5K???

We don't install gas, but we don't even charge $5K for an oil furnace.

I'm all for saving money. Hopefully you won't have any problems with it...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Bob

My thoughts exactly. If he did get estimates that high, then the contractors
probably sized him up as being one of those PITA DIY homeowners and gave him
a super high price just to make sure they didn't get the job.

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Rusht Limpalless" wrote in message
.. .
Installed a goodman furnace i bought off the internet myself. Install

was
easy, furnace works great and is set up perfect (had a licenced

installer
check) Saved $5k and recommend you do so as well.
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around

job site.

You saved $5K???

We don't install gas, but we don't even charge $5K for an oil furnace.

I'm all for saving money. Hopefully you won't have any problems with it...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Stretch

Don,

Amana is owned by Goodman, which got bought be a holding company last
year so Mr. Goodman could retire and spend all his money.

Bryant is owned by Carrier. Carrier is owned by United Technologies,
which also owns ICP, which owns Tempstar, ComfortMaker, Heil, ArcoAire,
etc.

ICP used to be "Inter City Products", changed to "International Comfort
Products". They had quality problems, Then Carrier's Parent bought
them. Now ICP means "It's Carrier's Problem" :-)

Amana used to be good brand, but I stopped selling them when
reliability went doen the tube 10-15 years ago. Local wholesaler
dropped the line. Then Goodman bought the company, can't be a good
sign.

Although I would rather have a Goodman than a Heil.

Just my personal, proffessional opinion.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Stretch

Rusht,
Did you buy it off the internet or pick it up extra laying around the
job site?

You said both in the same paragraph.

Troll.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Ted Bunten

Thanks for helpful comments. Regardless of parent Corp, sometime a
companies top of line is good even though low end builder's grade is junk.
Also if there are identical units that are just badged differently, might
make sense to get less expensive badge. [understand product backing might be
different]

For example, since Bryant owned by Carrier then Bryant's Evolution HP may be
same as Carriers Infinity but at different price.

Agn thanks

Ted

"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Bob

You also might want to consider Rheem/Ruud if you can find a quality
installer in your area. I've had excellent luck with them.

"Stretch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message
Thanks for helpful comments. Regardless of parent Corp, sometime a
companies top of line is good even though low end builder's grade is junk.
Also if there are identical units that are just badged differently, might
make sense to get less expensive badge. [understand product backing might
be
different]

For example, since Bryant owned by Carrier then Bryant's Evolution HP may
be
same as Carriers Infinity but at different price.

I thought there were some differences, but there aren't. We received quite a
few variable speed air handlers this past year that had the Braynt logo on
it. Carrier sent us a box of the Carrier ones to replace them (the plastic
logo, not the whole air handler).

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don,

Amana is owned by Goodman, which got bought be a holding company last
year so Mr. Goodman could retire and spend all his money.

Bryant is owned by Carrier. Carrier is owned by United Technologies,
which also owns ICP, which owns Tempstar, ComfortMaker, Heil, ArcoAire,
etc.

ICP used to be "Inter City Products", changed to "International Comfort
Products". They had quality problems, Then Carrier's Parent bought
them. Now ICP means "It's Carrier's Problem" :-)

Amana used to be good brand, but I stopped selling them when
reliability went doen the tube 10-15 years ago. Local wholesaler
dropped the line. Then Goodman bought the company, can't be a good
sign.

Although I would rather have a Goodman than a Heil.

I remember when Heil was the workhorse of the industry. Especially the A/C
units (the oil furnaces sucked!). Those suckers would never die! Especially
those horseshoe shaped ones that you wouldn't know what logo was on them
until you got right up on them. Could be Heil, Monkey Wards, Sears,
Whirlpool. Then they came out with the cube shaped ones that turned into
rust buckets just like the Goodmans.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
whatsinaname

"Bob" wrote in message
You also might want to consider Rheem/Ruud if you can find a quality
installer in your area. I've had excellent luck with them.

So have I....got em stacked 4 high 10 deep in the going to salvage yard...

"Stretch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:30:57 -0500, "whatsinaname"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
You also might want to consider Rheem/Ruud if you can find a quality
installer in your area. I've had excellent luck with them.

So have I....got em stacked 4 high 10 deep in the going to salvage yard...

So does ANY company make a heatpump that you folks don't think is
junk?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

There are certain people on here who have nothing positive to say about
anything, and you can disregard what they say. They hate home owners, and
will go out of their way to misinform them. If you want to learn who they
are, I suggest you start by going to the 'alt.hvac' newsgroup and reading
the thread entitled "ALT.HVAC KILL FILTER/FILE Rev 1.0.3" Then read some of
the posts written by the people listed.

wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
You also might want to consider Rheem/Ruud if you can find a quality
installer in your area. I've had excellent luck with them.

So have I....got em stacked 4 high 10 deep in the going to salvage

yard...

So does ANY company make a heatpump that you folks don't think is
junk?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
whatsinaname

"Bob" wrote in message
Obviously someone didn't install them correctly.

You new at this or what?

You got a crystal ball over there that is telling you why they are replaced?

Obviously, you havent a clue, but then, from your past postings, we will
forgive that as you ARE new.

"Stretch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

Come on. Rheems aren't that bad! I put one in my old house in '92 and it
hasn't missed a lick yet.

I think this whole thing with "brand hatred" boils down to what everyone has
been saying here for years: It's not the brand, it's the installer: Here me
out now:

It boils down to WHO is installing a certain brand. For example: We had a
local company run by a low-life druggy (I know. I went to school with him).
He worked for a local company and was worthless. Always showed up late.
Never could find him when they needed him. They got rid of him. He tried a
couple more companies and he never lasted more that 6 months or so. Well,
daddy had money, so daddy gave him enough to buy a company that was going
out of business. Somehow he became a York dealer. Well, he hired a bunch of
his druggy friends (most rejects from other companies) and somehow he
managed to stay in business for about 3 years. Put in a lot of
equipment........****-poorly. They just shut down one day and flew the coop.
Left a lot of people with warranty work and maintenance contract
unfullfilled. That's when we started getting calls to fix their f*ckups.
The point I'm trying to make is: Most York units I have worked on were ones
this guy installed. Installed WRONG!! So, naturally I got an attitude about
York products. They are all CRAP!!! But they probably aren't! It's just that
all the ones I had to work on WERE.
Same goes with every other brand out there. Even (god help me) Goodmans! If
all you see is one brand that a certain lame-ass company in your area
installed, you probably are under the impression that all their products a
sh*t! True, there are a lot of units out there that ARE cheaply made and
look like they'd fall apart if you sneeze (How 'bout them
Ducanes??!!!....;-]), but every brand has a "low end line" (or builders
grade if you want to call them that).

Does that make sense? I know I'm rambling. I'll shut up now....

;-]

"Stretch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
whatsinaname

[...]

It makes sense, but dont tell me you dont see that many of the same brand
units, even the ones I sell, hitting their age now, and showing it.

"Stretch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Bob

Years back, Rheem went from a rectangle shape to square that had problem
with drainage holes in the heat pumps. The problem only showed up when they
were installed directly on the pad, causing the coil to get crushed. If they
were raised on blocks, there was no problem. Typical example of a good brand
and poor installation. Maybe he doesn't like them because he's the one who
installed them wrong.

"Stretch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
whatsinaname

"Bob" wrote in message
Years back, Rheem went from a rectangle shape to square that had problem
with drainage holes in the heat pumps. The problem only showed up when
they
were installed directly on the pad, causing the coil to get crushed. If
they
were raised on blocks, there was no problem. Typical example of a good
brand
and poor installation. Maybe he doesn't like them because he's the one who
installed them wrong.

Or YOU did.
I service many Rheems that are over 20 years old, and still running strong,
and while, not serving the owners best interest, they dont want to replace
them till they have to.

IF you were not so self serving, you would understand that you assume way
too much, and from your replys in here, are totally, completely, clueless.
Rheems stack as well as Goodmans.

"Stretch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

[...]

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

I've seen some of those old ones that were set right on a cement slab. Over
20 years old. Compressor went (not worth replacing). Pump down the unit and
then pick it up to move it and the coil stays on the pad! Whole bottom
rusted out!

They're pretty tough cookies now. As I said before, I installed on in my old
house (my father-in-law lives there now) back in '92 and it' still going
strong. And, yes, there are a lot of them out there still (and Ruuds) that
were installed in the mid 80s that are still cranking away.

Haven't seen too many 20 year old Goodmans....

We'll all just have to agree to disagree....;-]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Kathy

"whatsinaname" wrote in message

It makes sense, but dont tell me you dont see

that many of the same brand
units, even the ones I sell, hitting their age

now, and showing it.

Builders grade York units are dropping like flies
in the condos around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
whatsinaname

"Kathy" wrote in message

"whatsinaname" wrote in message

It makes sense, but dont tell me you dont see

that many of the same brand
units, even the ones I sell, hitting their age

now, and showing it.

Builders grade York units are dropping like flies
in the condos around here.

Same here...another reason I dont sell builder grade to anyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean

Noon-Air wrote:
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a
job site.

Only because its the cheapest POS available.
I hope the serial number has been run to make sure the unit wasn't stolen
from a job site.

I for one would like a building official to inspect that to insure the
Idiot doesn't kill his own or others.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean

Stretch wrote:
Don,

Amana is owned by Goodman, which got bought be a holding company last
year so Mr. Goodman could retire and spend all his money.

Didn't I say that?

Bryant is owned by Carrier. Carrier is owned by United Technologies,
which also owns ICP, which owns Tempstar, ComfortMaker, Heil, ArcoAire,
etc.

Of course.
Goodman and Carrier are in the same chain of corporate structure. But
are still somewhat independantly manufactured. In fact Carrier and
Goodman are the only units that reach the 95% plus requirement for the
new tax break that came into being Jan 1, 2006. Others will soon be
there. By the way I see Johnstone supply broke Lennoxs hold on selling
lennox parts.

ICP used to be "Inter City Products", changed to "International Comfort
Products". They had quality problems, Then Carrier's Parent bought
them. Now ICP means "It's Carrier's Problem" :-)

Amana used to be good brand, but I stopped selling them when
reliability went doen the tube 10-15 years ago. Local wholesaler
dropped the line. Then Goodman bought the company, can't be a good
sign.

Although I would rather have a Goodman than a Heil.

Yes Heil has turned into a white elephant over the last 15 years or longer.

Just my personal, proffessional opinion.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean

Kathy wrote:
"whatsinaname" wrote in message

It makes sense, but dont tell me you dont see

that many of the same brand

units, even the ones I sell, hitting their age

now, and showing it.

Builders grade York units are dropping like flies
in the condos around here.

Builder grade anything is short lifespanned and a lot of the time are
undernourished to begin with. If your building a new house.. Don't let
your general contractor select the HVAC contractor or the the equipment.
Most HVAC Contractors that follow tract housing put in **** and are
underaid and seldom are there for you when the equipment takes a ****.
I can't begin to tell you how many warranty issues I have had to resolve
for these assholes that install and run. Someone mentioned Rheem in
another post. I ran into a sour newer unit of Rheem. Rheem asked me what
I would suggest.. I suggested a complete replacement and that Rheem pay
me my normal install fee. They promptly did just that! So I guess their
warranty program is Good. Customer is happy and I got paid standard
contract price. Customer told me that Original installer charged
a lot less and didn't bother with an inspection sticker. Cheaper is not
necessarily best./

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
TURTLE

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"Rusht Limpalless" wrote in message
.. .
Installed a goodman furnace i bought off the internet myself. Install was
easy, furnace works great and is set up perfect (had a licenced installer
check) Saved $5k and recommend you do so as well.
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a
job site.

You saved $5K???

We don't install gas, but we don't even charge $5K for an oil furnace.

I'm all for saving money. Hopefully you won't have any problems with it...

This is Turtle.

WOW $5K for just a gas furnace ? Hey what part of the Country are they
getting that for I'm Moving my business there.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Noon-Air

"TURTLE" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"Rusht Limpalless" wrote in message
.. .
Installed a goodman furnace i bought off the internet myself. Install
was
easy, furnace works great and is set up perfect (had a licenced
installer
check) Saved $5k and recommend you do so as well.
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying
around a
job site.

You saved $5K???

We don't install gas, but we don't even charge $5K for an oil furnace.

I'm all for saving money. Hopefully you won't have any problems with
it...

This is Turtle.

WOW $5K for just a gas furnace ? Hey what part of the Country are they
getting that for I'm Moving my business there.

TURTLE

For him to be bragging about saving 5K like that, he must have gotten some
serious gratuitous sex in the process.