Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Ted Bunten

Default Amana and Bryant's top of the line heatpumps?

I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are less
expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar
performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message
I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are less
expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar
performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Oh, gawd...

Here we go again.....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

"Bob" wrote in message
Bryant seems to hold up pretty good, not many Amanas around here.

Brant - same as Carrier

Amana- same as Goodman

(Yes, Amana appliances are a different story)

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message
I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are
less
expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar
performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean

Bob wrote:
Bryant seems to hold up pretty good, not many Amanas around here.

Bryant is a Carrier... Amana is OK too. It is owned by Janitrol(Goodman)
which is in turn owned by ICP(Inter-City-Products). The same folks that
own Carrier and Bryant. Amana is a design by itself. and does not fit
the Janitrol Profiles. Bryant is just a cheaper priced clone of Carrier.
Life span of all are about the same. The Amana line has come out with
a new warranty that is great. MidAmerica Energy in Iowa has a $250.00
rebate for anything 92% efficient with an extra $25.00 for every
percentage point above 92% efficiency. The Federal Government is
also giving a tax break of $150 for all 95% and above efficiencies.
To this the Feds are adding another $50.00 for units with variable speed
blowers added to the above. So if your state is with Energy companies
Program You can maximize savings with the rebate from the energy company
and the taxe deduction for a possible total of $525.00. Not exactly
chump change. There are several manufacturers that now have 95% plus
units that will fit these requirements.

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message

I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are less
expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar
performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Rusht Limpalless

Installed a goodman furnace i bought off the internet myself. Install was
easy, furnace works great and is set up perfect (had a licenced installer
check) Saved $5k and recommend you do so as well.
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a
job site.

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message

I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are
less
expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar
performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Noon-Air

Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a
job site.

Only because its the cheapest POS available.
I hope the serial number has been run to make sure the unit wasn't stolen
from a job site.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean

Noon-Air wrote:
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a
job site.

Only because its the cheapest POS available.
I hope the serial number has been run to make sure the unit wasn't stolen
from a job site.

I for one would like a building official to inspect that to insure the
Idiot doesn't kill his own or others.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

"Rusht Limpalless" wrote in message
.. .
Installed a goodman furnace i bought off the internet myself. Install was
easy, furnace works great and is set up perfect (had a licenced installer
check) Saved $5k and recommend you do so as well.
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a
job site.

You saved $5K???

We don't install gas, but we don't even charge $5K for an oil furnace.

I'm all for saving money. Hopefully you won't have any problems with it...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Bob

My thoughts exactly. If he did get estimates that high, then the contractors
probably sized him up as being one of those PITA DIY homeowners and gave him
a super high price just to make sure they didn't get the job.

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Rusht Limpalless" wrote in message
.. .
Installed a goodman furnace i bought off the internet myself. Install

was
easy, furnace works great and is set up perfect (had a licenced

installer
check) Saved $5k and recommend you do so as well.
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around

job site.

You saved $5K???

We don't install gas, but we don't even charge $5K for an oil furnace.

I'm all for saving money. Hopefully you won't have any problems with it...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Stretch

Rusht,
Did you buy it off the internet or pick it up extra laying around the
job site?

You said both in the same paragraph.

Troll.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
TURTLE

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"Rusht Limpalless" wrote in message
.. .
Installed a goodman furnace i bought off the internet myself. Install was
easy, furnace works great and is set up perfect (had a licenced installer
check) Saved $5k and recommend you do so as well.
Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a
job site.

You saved $5K???

We don't install gas, but we don't even charge $5K for an oil furnace.

I'm all for saving money. Hopefully you won't have any problems with it...

This is Turtle.

WOW $5K for just a gas furnace ? Hey what part of the Country are they
getting that for I'm Moving my business there.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Stretch

Don,

Amana is owned by Goodman, which got bought be a holding company last
year so Mr. Goodman could retire and spend all his money.

Bryant is owned by Carrier. Carrier is owned by United Technologies,
which also owns ICP, which owns Tempstar, ComfortMaker, Heil, ArcoAire,
etc.

ICP used to be "Inter City Products", changed to "International Comfort
Products". They had quality problems, Then Carrier's Parent bought
them. Now ICP means "It's Carrier's Problem" :-)

Amana used to be good brand, but I stopped selling them when
reliability went doen the tube 10-15 years ago. Local wholesaler
dropped the line. Then Goodman bought the company, can't be a good
sign.

Although I would rather have a Goodman than a Heil.

Just my personal, proffessional opinion.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Ted Bunten

Thanks for helpful comments. Regardless of parent Corp, sometime a
companies top of line is good even though low end builder's grade is junk.
Also if there are identical units that are just badged differently, might
make sense to get less expensive badge. [understand product backing might be
different]

For example, since Bryant owned by Carrier then Bryant's Evolution HP may be
same as Carriers Infinity but at different price.

Agn thanks

Ted

"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Bob

You also might want to consider Rheem/Ruud if you can find a quality
installer in your area. I've had excellent luck with them.

"Stretch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message
Thanks for helpful comments. Regardless of parent Corp, sometime a
companies top of line is good even though low end builder's grade is junk.
Also if there are identical units that are just badged differently, might
make sense to get less expensive badge. [understand product backing might
be
different]

For example, since Bryant owned by Carrier then Bryant's Evolution HP may
be
same as Carriers Infinity but at different price.

I thought there were some differences, but there aren't. We received quite a
few variable speed air handlers this past year that had the Braynt logo on
it. Carrier sent us a box of the Carrier ones to replace them (the plastic
logo, not the whole air handler).

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don,

Amana is owned by Goodman, which got bought be a holding company last
year so Mr. Goodman could retire and spend all his money.

Bryant is owned by Carrier. Carrier is owned by United Technologies,
which also owns ICP, which owns Tempstar, ComfortMaker, Heil, ArcoAire,
etc.

ICP used to be "Inter City Products", changed to "International Comfort
Products". They had quality problems, Then Carrier's Parent bought
them. Now ICP means "It's Carrier's Problem" :-)

Amana used to be good brand, but I stopped selling them when
reliability went doen the tube 10-15 years ago. Local wholesaler
dropped the line. Then Goodman bought the company, can't be a good
sign.

Although I would rather have a Goodman than a Heil.

I remember when Heil was the workhorse of the industry. Especially the A/C
units (the oil furnaces sucked!). Those suckers would never die! Especially
those horseshoe shaped ones that you wouldn't know what logo was on them
until you got right up on them. Could be Heil, Monkey Wards, Sears,
Whirlpool. Then they came out with the cube shaped ones that turned into
rust buckets just like the Goodmans.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean

Stretch wrote:
Don,

Amana is owned by Goodman, which got bought be a holding company last
year so Mr. Goodman could retire and spend all his money.

Didn't I say that?

Bryant is owned by Carrier. Carrier is owned by United Technologies,
which also owns ICP, which owns Tempstar, ComfortMaker, Heil, ArcoAire,
etc.

Of course.
Goodman and Carrier are in the same chain of corporate structure. But
are still somewhat independantly manufactured. In fact Carrier and
Goodman are the only units that reach the 95% plus requirement for the
new tax break that came into being Jan 1, 2006. Others will soon be
there. By the way I see Johnstone supply broke Lennoxs hold on selling
lennox parts.

ICP used to be "Inter City Products", changed to "International Comfort
Products". They had quality problems, Then Carrier's Parent bought
them. Now ICP means "It's Carrier's Problem" :-)

Amana used to be good brand, but I stopped selling them when
reliability went doen the tube 10-15 years ago. Local wholesaler
dropped the line. Then Goodman bought the company, can't be a good
sign.

Although I would rather have a Goodman than a Heil.

Yes Heil has turned into a white elephant over the last 15 years or longer.