Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

Default Amana and Bryant's top of the line heatpumps?

Come on. Rheems aren't that bad! I put one in my old house in '92 and it
hasn't missed a lick yet.

I think this whole thing with "brand hatred" boils down to what everyone has
been saying here for years: It's not the brand, it's the installer: Here me
out now:

It boils down to WHO is installing a certain brand. For example: We had a
local company run by a low-life druggy (I know. I went to school with him).
He worked for a local company and was worthless. Always showed up late.
Never could find him when they needed him. They got rid of him. He tried a
couple more companies and he never lasted more that 6 months or so. Well,
daddy had money, so daddy gave him enough to buy a company that was going
out of business. Somehow he became a York dealer. Well, he hired a bunch of
his druggy friends (most rejects from other companies) and somehow he
managed to stay in business for about 3 years. Put in a lot of
equipment........****-poorly. They just shut down one day and flew the coop.
Left a lot of people with warranty work and maintenance contract
unfullfilled. That's when we started getting calls to fix their f*ckups.
The point I'm trying to make is: Most York units I have worked on were ones
this guy installed. Installed WRONG!! So, naturally I got an attitude about
York products. They are all CRAP!!! But they probably aren't! It's just that
all the ones I had to work on WERE.
Same goes with every other brand out there. Even (god help me) Goodmans! If
all you see is one brand that a certain lame-ass company in your area
installed, you probably are under the impression that all their products a
sh*t! True, there are a lot of units out there that ARE cheaply made and
look like they'd fall apart if you sneeze (How 'bout them
Ducanes??!!!....;-]), but every brand has a "low end line" (or builders
grade if you want to call them that).

Does that make sense? I know I'm rambling. I'll shut up now....

;-]

"whatsinaname" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
Obviously someone didn't install them correctly.

You new at this or what?

You got a crystal ball over there that is telling you why they are
replaced?

Obviously, you havent a clue, but then, from your past postings, we will
forgive that as you ARE new.

"whatsinaname" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
You also might want to consider Rheem/Ruud if you can find a quality
installer in your area. I've had excellent luck with them.

So have I....got em stacked 4 high 10 deep in the going to salvage
yard...

" Ted Bunten" wrote in message
Thanks for helpful comments. Regardless of parent Corp, sometime a
companies top of line is good even though low end builder's grade is
junk.
Also if there are identical units that are just badged differently,

might
make sense to get less expensive badge. [understand product backing

might
be
different]

For example, since Bryant owned by Carrier then Bryant's Evolution HP

may
be
same as Carriers Infinity but at different price.

Agn thanks

Ted

"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don,

Amana is owned by Goodman, which got bought be a holding company last
year so Mr. Goodman could retire and spend all his money.

Bryant is owned by Carrier. Carrier is owned by United Technologies,
which also owns ICP, which owns Tempstar, ComfortMaker, Heil,
ArcoAire,
etc.

ICP used to be "Inter City Products", changed to "International
Comfort
Products". They had quality problems, Then Carrier's Parent bought
them. Now ICP means "It's Carrier's Problem" :-)

Amana used to be good brand, but I stopped selling them when
reliability went doen the tube 10-15 years ago. Local wholesaler
dropped the line. Then Goodman bought the company, can't be a good
sign.

Although I would rather have a Goodman than a Heil.

Just my personal, proffessional opinion.

Stretch