Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default Is there anything wrong with batteries sold at dollar stores?

A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer, but
does it last 8 times longer?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"miamicuse" wrote in message
A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer,
but
does it last 8 times longer?

MC

I watched one of the "news" programs a couple of years ago. They tested
batteries. All kinds. The ones that sell for a lot because they have all
that advertising to pay for. The ones that you find at the Dollar Store
that have Japanese writing you can't read.

They said for alkaline batteries, buy whatever's on sale. There's a huge
difference between $9 at the regular stores and $1 at the dollar stores.
But only in price. Just like the leather cell phone cases. $1 at the
Dollar Store, $20 at the mall. Similar cases. Enough so that I buy six at
a time when I find them at the Dollar store. I bought two at the mall
before I found the Dollar store. The first broke (plastic) within a week.
The other lasted as long as these $1 ones do.

Batteries at the Dollar Store are a steal. Add up the time they last.
Factor in cost. A deal.

I do believe alkaline batteries lose 2% per month, so watch dates if they
have any. Take a tester with you, and test them.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grant Meyer

Some of those batteries will leak - I have used them a lot in the past and
many times had this problem, maybe because of our hot climate? So I do
still use them but just in cheapo items but for anything like my remote
controls etc I always buy the more expensive batteries. Also the cheapie
batteries won't even power up my digital camera, there mustn't be enough
strength in them.

"miamicuse" wrote in message
A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer,
but
does it last 8 times longer?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

If you find panasonic they are very good batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MasterBlaster

"m Ransley" wrote

If you find panasonic they are very good batteries.

As good as the $9.95 Rolexes?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

miamicuse wrote:
A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer, but
does it last 8 times longer?

Rechargeable batteries are far cheaper if price is your concern.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

The biggest and best rechargable battery manufacturers are Panasonic and
Sanyo, Ive never seen anything made by Panasonic that is junk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One brand of rechargable to stay clear of, IMO, is "Quest Platinum". I
paid $4.50 each for some "AA"s and they went dead in a week, in
storage, after being charged. Are supposed to have a one year warranty.
Well I have a set of four that they are going to get back and I'll see
how good their warranty is. Luckly I held on to my sales receipt.

So far I have found "Duracell" the best. But also more expensive.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...?KeywordSearch
this link will show a variety of specifications of panasonic alkaline
batteries. digikey can be easily searched for other electronic
components.
note rarely does retail packaging give this type of technical
information. as in automobiles batteries you have an amperage rating to
consider at time of purchase for any battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just make sure they are alkaline and made in USA and they are good.
Don't buy the knock off junk made in China that looks exactly like the
good stuff except with the mispelled name (like Dynacell that looks
exactly like Duracell, etc.).

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

miamicuse wrote:
A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer, but
does it last 8 times longer?

MC

If it is indeed the same battery type, i.e,
alkaline, with a brand name (check the spelling
very carefully), then there is little difference.
In some cases, even if it is an off brand name
there maybe very little difference. I pickup
audio cables for $1 that cost $5-6 everywhere else
(same package). Same with certain kinds of other
audio or computer connectors when they have them.
BTW there are several different dollar stores.

Recently, I looked at a large plastic dust pan
(for sawdust and wood shavings) but thought the
handle was a bit flimsy. Saw the identical item
at Lowes 2 days later for $4.95.

So, there is junk at a low price that sells for a
lot more at other stores and there is good stuff
at a low price that sells for a high price
elsewhere. Don't know where the dollar store gets
its stuff (probably overstock, older models, etc.,
but some of it same brand and quality you would
buy elsewhere. Also, you might look at the
greeting and other cards. My wife says they are a
real bargain.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Steve B wrote:
"miamicuse" wrote in message

[...]

Alkalines do not loose 2% per month, maybe you are
thinking of rechargeable batteries. They maintain
their charge much longer than other batteries.
Fresh alkalines typically have a use by date that
is at least 3 years in the future.

Here are some actual data not conjectu

Use in my two smoke alarms is typically 2-1/2
years before sounding the low battery noise, and
never less than 2 years. Use in a tv controller
that is used a lot is never less than 2 years. I
buy AAA, AA, C, and 9V copper tops in Costco
packages which take a long time to use up.
Recently, my replacement batteries had a date of
2003 (which means the batteries were made no
sooner than 2001 and the voltages read from 1.59
to 1.61V. That means these unused batteries were
still at full power after 5 years. As a point of
interest some appliances quit working when the
voltage drops below 1.25V.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

MasterBlaster wrote:
"m Ransley" wrote

If you find panasonic they are very good batteries.

As good as the $9.95 Rolexes?

Rolex makes batteries?
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

RicodJour wrote:
miamicuse wrote:

A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer, but
does it last 8 times longer?

Rechargeable batteries are far cheaper if price is your concern.

Rechargeable are useless for many applications,
e.t., long periods over little use.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"miamicuse" wrote in message ...
A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer, but
does it last 8 times longer?

Just make sure they are alkaline batteries, not "heavy duty" batteries, which are older technology carbon-zinc cells.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

m Ransley wrote:
The biggest and best rechargable battery manufacturers are Panasonic and
Sanyo, Ive never seen anything made by Panasonic that is junk.

I agree on the batteries. But yes Panasonic does
make some junk. Bought a high quality (mean
expensive) amplifier for my wife's sound system
many years ago. The power supply burned out and I
had it replaced but when it burned out again in 3
years, it was tossed in the garbage. Replaced it
with a Pioneer that cost about what fixing power
supply would. Now, my wife won't buy anything
made by Panasonic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy a pack for a buck and try them out.

I got a pack for $1 to use with a new MP3 player AAA rayovac heavy
duty. The battery that came with it lasted 5 hours over three days.
The cheap batteries only ran about 30 minutes each.

I wound up buying a set of NIMH rechargables. Strangly enough also
Rayovac.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MasterBlaster

"George E. Cawthon" wrote

If you find panasonic they are very good batteries.

As good as the $9.95 Rolexes?

Rolex makes batteries?

Sorry, typo.
I meant the Bolex watches with the Panasoonic batteries.
They're next to the Channel #5 perfume and Gucchi bags.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Kasoff

On the few occasions I bought unknown brand, made in China dollar store
batteries, they were useless garbage. If you can find decent brand name
batteries, they're ok. But those packages of 24 AA cells for a buck,
forget about it!

Posted to alt.home.repair
WM

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 01:30:13 -0500, "miamicuse"
wrote:

A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer, but
does it last 8 times longer?

MC

I also saw the show that listed the extensive tests done with
everready and duracells and store brand akaline batteries. Since
then, I won't buy anything but walgreen akaline batteries. I will
only pay between 25 cents and 37.5 cents per AA or AAA battery.

And the worst batteries made which you should avoid if at all
possible are always marked 'HEAVY DUTY'. The only reason I might
use one of them is they put out more voltage (not power) than either
akaline or nicad and some appliances work better with higher voltage.

..

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer, but
does it last 8 times longer?

The ones at the dollar store usually generate Japanese electricity.
This will work with Japanese and most other Asian appliances, but
American radios etc. may not understand it.

It is possible to get a converter, designed to fit in the battery
holder, between the Japanese batteries and the springs of the battery
connector. The PVC contact piece is thin with wide copper traces on
both sides and the electronic part fits off to the side a bit, in the
unused space between cylindrical batteries.

Send $39.95 plus 10 S&H to P.O.B. 11420, Wilmington Delaware, 22374
for one, Or only 49.95 plus 10 S&H for two. Satisfaction
guaranteed.

MC

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

wrote:

A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer, but
does it last 8 times longer?

MC

I have bought them and seem to have good luck.
panasonics seem to last only 75% as long as duracell, but I can buy
twice the amount and still save Good luck!

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs

wrote:

A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer, but
does it last 8 times longer?

MC

I have bought them and seem to have good luck.
panasonics seem to last only 75% as long as duracell, but I can buy
twice the amount and still save Good luck!

................................................. ...............
at http://www.TitanNews.com

At costco you can get 48 for I think about $10? Or maybe
that was a couple of years ago...
Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

wrote:

A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9.
But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer,
but
does it last 8 times longer?

MC

I have given up on buying these things.

Get a charger and some NiMH recharables in the size you want. I'm a
fairly heavy user - digital cameras etc, and they pay for themseves
in a few months. Also a 2500 mAh rechargeable will last a whole lot
longer than an alkaline cell in any appliance.

I have a cordless mouse. It has a constant standby drain even when the
computer is turned off. I get a month of use with alkalines, a week with
1800 mah. NiMh. NiMh go dead quickly below about 1.2 volts. There is a lot
of life left in an alkaline below that level. So, in some devices, alkaline
will be more convenient even though more expensive to use. But some digital
cameras will not function when the voltage drops below 1.2 and using
alkalines leads to quick frustration.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

wrote:

[...]

I use nimh all over my house. Only time I don't use rechargables is in
trickle drain things like smoke detectors. AA are everywhere and I keep
tons of them. In 2 years only 1 has gone bad. Thats much better for
the environment than having thrown away 50+ by now otherwise.

NiMh tend to drain when stored whereas NiCD can last longer between
uses. NiCD are supposed to have stronger current delivering capacity.
youll have to test to see which gives the most live in a particular
usage. For a camera, you will have to be sure to charge the nimh
whereas lithium has longer shelf life without charge i believe.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

SJF wrote:
I have a cordless mouse. It has a constant standby drain even when the
computer is turned off. I get a month of use with alkalines, a week with
1800 mah. NiMh. NiMh go dead quickly below about 1.2 volts. There is a lot
of life left in an alkaline below that level. So, in some devices, alkaline
will be more convenient even though more expensive to use. But some digital
cameras will not function when the voltage drops below 1.2 and using
alkalines leads to quick frustration.

Some cameras have a menu select for the type of battery being used. I'm
thinking of a Nikon I worked on.
Otherwise I use rechargeable Alkalines for my wireless headphones that
need the higher voltage. Fully charged the batteries are 1.68 Volts. I
have 4 and use 2 at a time. I bought the charger and batteries for a $1
at a garage sale. They're not supposed to have the current capacity of
NiMHs, NiCADs or LiPolys but they work fine and can't beat the price.
Richard

Chinese Calipers and batteries... Gunner Metalworking 15 July 29th 05 04:50 AM
NICD vs NIMH batteries [email protected] UK diy 12 January 28th 04 01:09 PM
OT Replacing the batteries in a cordless drill battery pack aribert Metalworking 7 December 4th 03 12:41 AM
AAA battery chargers Tim Downie UK diy 8 November 29th 03 01:22 PM
Ultimate smoke alarm - never need to change batteries! Daniel Morrow Electronics 10 October 10th 03 11:08 PM