Gunner

Default Chinese Calipers and batteries...

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:50:09 GMT, Philip Freidin
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:40:22 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:
Awl--

Anyone use these? Black, two buttons, mm/in, and zero? $20-30?

Anyone get the sense that they burn thru batteries like wildfire?
Mitutoyo's seem to last 1/2 of ferever, but these goddamm cheapies... Which
is surprising, cuz they have an auto-off feature, that my Mits don't have!!

OOOhhh, OOOhhh, OOOhhh,

(visual: me at the back of the class room, jumping up and down because at
long last there is a question I know the answer to :-)

So it turns out that for the last 3 months, almost all my free time
has been spent studying the power consumption characteristics of
electronic calipers and micrometers.

First off, here is a surprise for you. When the chinese calipers are
off, they draw the same power as when they are on. The Mitutoyo draws
about half as much power as when it is on. Don't believe me??? Try
this:
Turn on your chinese caliper, close the jaws, press the zero button,
open it to 2 inches, turn it off, press the zero button, move it to
3 inches and turn it back on.

It was making measurements, and taking notice of the zero button while
it was "off". Actally, all it was doing was disabling the display,
which does not save any significant power. Even the SPC output is
active when it is "off".

The Mitutoyo caliper draws about 1/4 the power of the chinese caliper
when on, and about 1/8 the power when off.

... bunch of question about battery numbers ...

The two common cells for calipers are the LR44 and the SR44. Calipers
are usually shipped with the cheaper LR44.

LR44 is a Zinc + Manganese Dioxide chemistry
SR44 is a Zinc + Silver Oxide chemistry

LR44 starting voltage is about 1.500 Volts
SR44 starting voltage is about 1.550 Volts

Both are rated as 150 mA hours, but the discharge curves give very
different operational life depending on the required voltage for the
application. The LR44 voltage drops over the duration of usage. The
SR44 remains flat (and above 1.5V) for most of its useful life. The
calipers need at least 1.25 to operate.

The LR44 drops below 1.3 Volts after about 50% usage
The SR44 drops below 1.5 Volts after about 95% usage.

So you only get about 50% of the 150 mA hours from an LR44.

The SR44 start at a slightly higher voltage, and their flat discharge
curve makes them far superior for low power, long operational life
applications, like a caliper.

Jes tryna get more g-d bang fer my miserable buck.

Pick a Mitutoyo caliper, and run it with SR44 :-) You get what you
pay for.

Oh, oh, speaking of bang and bucks, I'm in 7th heaven:
*Finally* found these buttons at yer "better" 99c stores!!
Along w/ *16 packs* of AA and AAAs--yeah, 99c--plus NYC .0825.
Only thing is, you gotta scrape off the contacts on a wire wheel. No
foolin--they say so on the package.

All of these el-cheapo batteries come from manufacturers you have
never heard of ("sun-moon batteries", "rising star batteries", ...)
and although they say they are replacements for SR44 and LR44, they
are poor quality LR44 chemistry.

You can get the button cells for about 50c ea, mebbe less, in q's of 20-100,
on the web.

The good news is that since you will be changing batteries often, you will
get to use them all.

Here is the data I collected. Use a monospaced font to view properly

All measurements are in microamps

Off On

Mitutoyo 500-171 2.0 4.0
Chinese Vendor 1 17.5 18.0
Chinese Vendor 2 17.5 18.5
Chinese Vendor 3 7.0 7.5
Chinese Vendor 4, #1 15.5 16.0
Chinese Vendor 4, #2 18.0 18.0
Chinese Vendor 4, #3 19.0 19.0
Chinese Vendor 4, #4 17.0 18.0
Chinese Vendor 4, #5 19.5 19.5
Chinese Vendor 4, #6 17.5 18.0
Chinese Vendor 4, #7 19.5 19.5
Chinese Vendor 4, #8 17.5 18.5
Chinese Vendor 4, #9 17.5 18.5
Chinese Vendor 4, #10 19.5 20.0

Using an SR44:

So, for a Mitutoyo that is on for 1 hour per day the calculation is:
(1 hour * 4uA) + (23 hours * 2uA) = 50uAHour per day

SR44
(150 mA Hour) * 90% = 135mA Hour = 135000uAHour

Battery life is therefore 135000/50 = 2700 days = 7.39 years
The self discharge of the battery will probably make it
half this duration.

Here it is for the chinese calipers

(1 hour * 18uA) + (23 hours * 17.5uA) = 420.5uAHour per day

SR44
(150 mA Hour) * 90% = 135mA Hour = 135000uAHour

Battery life is therefore 135000/420.5 = 321days = .87 years
The self discharge of the battery will probably not be significant

You can do the math your self for the LR44 batteries. Remember to use
50% rather than 90%.

For sale: 10 chinese calipers (vendor 4), $25 each + S&H .
Comes with a LR44 battery.

Philip Freidin

Crossposted into rec.crafts.metalworking for their edification.
Thanks for the marvelous workup Philip!

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

[...]

Real interesting to learn about that current draw when OFF. Who woulda
thunk that?

So.....I'm waiting for the smart folks here at rcm to come up with a
neat way to retrofit a battery disconnect switch which doesn't stick out
like a sore thumb. (No good just saying, "Take out the battery.")

YMMV but I've got a HF 6" Chinese caliper I bought about 4 years ago in
which an 357/SR44 cell keeps stays stiff for well over a year.

I assume it's Chinese, but I don't see a "made in" message anywhere on
it, though it does have a label with couple of tiny charts stuck on the
backside giving tap and clearance drill sizes for common sized metric
and Whitworth threads. (Why Whitworth??)

Before ending and hitting "send" I couldn't resist running downstairs
and using the 50 ua scale on my trusty Simpson 260 meter to measure my
calipers, which drew:

8.0 ua ON
7.5 ua OFF

I guess I had the luck to purchase ones made by "Chinese Vendor 3". Per
the math above I can expect better than two years life out of a battery.

That's the first time in a while I've been able to spell the word luck
with four letters. Usually It takes just three, b-a-d. G

Two years of battery life is good enough for me. At my age I'm already
getting hesitant about buying green bananas.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Proctologically Violated©®

I must have Vendor #5, which draws twice as much as vendor #4.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

wrote:

[...]

Glenn

wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:40:22 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

SNIP
Real interesting to learn about that current draw when OFF. Who woulda
thunk that?

So.....I'm waiting for the smart folks here at rcm to come up with a neat
way to retrofit a battery disconnect switch which doesn't stick out like a
sore thumb. (No good just saying, "Take out the battery.")

SNIP
My HF chinese calipers seem to last a long time but the Starretts die in a
couple of months and uses the high priced spread for batteries. I slide the
battery door open just enough to disconnect them before putting them back in
their box and they live a long and happy life.
YMMV
Glenn

machineman

I have a set of late 80's mitutoyo digital mics, the 0-4" set. I find
these run through the sr44 batteries pretty fast. I stopped putting
batteries in the 2-3 and 3-4 because of limited use, maybe once every 6
months, at which point the batteries were usually dead. I just kept the
batteries in the case and put them back in when required. It ment
having to reset them but that only took a moment.
As for the cheap calipers, I got a set a couple of years ago for the
basement, and still has the original battery in it. Must be one of the
low draw ones :-) I also have a 6" and 12" set of mitutoyo calipers,
also from the late 80's. Still good tools but they don't have the auto
off and don't hold their position like the newer style. But I don't
have any problems with batteries with them, maybe 1-2 years with daily
use.(if I remember to turn them off)

http://www.jamescrombie/com

Jeff Wisnia

machineman wrote:

http://www.jamescrombie/com

Great site! Quite interesting

Was the slash in place of a "dot" in the link you posted deliberate?

I know about munging email addies to mislead spammers, but my usually
devious mind doesn't know why you'd have to do that to a URL; but I bet
there's a reason.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Bob Engelhardt

Philip Freidin wrote:
big snip
Using an SR44:

So, for a Mitutoyo that is on for 1 hour per day ...
Battery life is therefore 135000/50 = 2700 days = 7.39 years
The self discharge of the battery will probably make it
half this duration.

I.e., 3.7 years

Here it is for the chinese calipers...
Battery life is therefore 135000/420.5 = 321days = .87 years

So, if the Mitutoyo costs $36 (the lowest price for a new one that I
found on eBay - completed auctions), the HF Chinese one is $16, and an
SR44 is $.99 (my recent cost on eBay), we have:

$36 + .99/3.7 * years = $16 + .99/.87 * years, and then

years = 23

I.e., in 23 years the costs will be the same, ignoring the time value of
money and ignoring buying replacement calipers because your son used it
to take apart his bike, or you dropped it, or set your chuck on it, or
.... something 8-)
Jeff Wisnia

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Philip Freidin wrote:
[...]

Touche Philip!

I've had much the same thoughts about the payback on buying a new hybrid
automobile, given that I only drive about 6K miles a year these days.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Philip Freidin

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:59:04 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

So, if the Mitutoyo costs $36 (the lowest price for a new one that I
found on eBay - completed auctions), the HF Chinese one is $16, and an
SR44 is $.99 (my recent cost on eBay), we have:

$36 + .99/3.7 * years = $16 + .99/.87 * years, and then

years = 23

I.e., in 23 years the costs will be the same, ignoring the time value of
money and ignoring buying replacement calipers because your son used it
to take apart his bike, or you dropped it, or set your chuck on it, or
... something 8-)

Touche Philip!
I've had much the same thoughts about the payback on buying a new hybrid
automobile, given that I only drive about 6K miles a year these days.
Jeff

Actually Jeff, It was Bob Engelhardt that did the 23 year calculation,
I just supplied the raw data.

Philip

Nick Hull

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I've had much the same thoughts about the payback on buying a new hybrid
automobile, given that I only drive about 6K miles a year these days.

The problem with hybrids will be the same with the electrics; in 5 years
they will need a new battery, and the cost will exceed the value of the
car, if a replacement is availiable at all. The initial cost is
subsidized, replacement cost will not be,

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Mungo Bulge

I don't know if the batteries for the hybrid will be available at
Radio Shack or not, but that is where I bought my first replacement
battery for my callipers and, as they are guaranteed for life, I just
put the receipt in the callipers' box and get a new FREE one when ever
the old one goes dead. I don't even bother turning them off.
"Nick Hull" wrote in message
| In article ,
| Jeff Wisnia wrote:
|
| I've had much the same thoughts about the payback on buying a new
hybrid
| automobile, given that I only drive about 6K miles a year these
days.

| The problem with hybrids will be the same with the electrics; in 5
years
| they will need a new battery, and the cost will exceed the value of
the
| car, if a replacement is availiable at all. The initial cost is
| subsidized, replacement cost will not be,
|
| --
| Free men own guns, slaves don't
| www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Jeff Wisnia

Mungo Bulge wrote:
I don't know if the batteries for the hybrid will be available at
Radio Shack or not, but that is where I bought my first replacement
battery for my callipers and, as they are guaranteed for life, I just
put the receipt in the callipers' box and get a new FREE one when ever
the old one goes dead. I don't even bother turning them off.

Say that again? RatShack guarantees non-rechargable batteries for "life"?

Either that's a misprint by them, there's some really dumbo clerks at
your local Radio Shack, or your entire alimentary tract has somehow
become completely reversed; a medical miracle. G

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Cliff

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:46:04 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Mungo Bulge wrote:
I don't know if the batteries for the hybrid will be available at
Radio Shack or not, but that is where I bought my first replacement
battery for my callipers and, as they are guaranteed for life, I just
put the receipt in the callipers' box and get a new FREE one when ever
the old one goes dead. I don't even bother turning them off.

Say that again? RatShack guarantees non-rechargable batteries for "life"?

It's probably for "the life of the battery".

Either that's a misprint by them, there's some really dumbo clerks at
your local Radio Shack, or your entire alimentary tract has somehow
become completely reversed; a medical miracle. G

--
Cliff
Rich The Newsgroup Wacko

wrote:

Mungo Bulge wrote:
I don't know if the batteries for the hybrid will be available at Radio
Shack or not, but that is where I bought my first replacement battery
for my callipers and, as they are guaranteed for life, I just put the
receipt in the callipers' box and get a new FREE one when ever the old
one goes dead. I don't even bother turning them off.

Say that again? RatShack guarantees non-rechargable batteries for "life"?

It's probably for "the life of the battery".

Either that's a misprint by them, there's some really dumbo clerks at
your local Radio Shack, or your entire alimentary tract has somehow
become completely reversed; a medical miracle. G

An automobile can last a lifetime, if you drive recklessly enough. ;-)
--
Cheers!
Rich

Don Foreman

wrote:

Mungo Bulge wrote:
I don't know if the batteries for the hybrid will be available at
Radio Shack or not, but that is where I bought my first replacement
battery for my callipers and, as they are guaranteed for life, I just
put the receipt in the callipers' box and get a new FREE one when ever
the old one goes dead. I don't even bother turning them off.

Say that again? RatShack guarantees non-rechargable batteries for "life"?

Either that's a misprint by them, there's some really dumbo clerks at
your local Radio Shack, or your entire alimentary tract has somehow
become completely reversed; a medical miracle. G

Jeff

They used to guarantee tubes for life. I got a lot of free tubes
from Radio Shack in the old days!