Jim Stewart

Default Brown & Sharpe Calipers

Back when I spent some time working with a real
machinist, he said that the best calipers were
Brown & Sharp. Well, a couple of years ago I
bought a B&S Digit-Cal digital caliper for work.
It feels nice, goes back to zero everytime, but
drives me nuts with it's delay. I figured it's
just me so the other day I bought a B&S dial
caliper for home. I'm disappointed with it's
feel and the pointer is angled about 2 degrees
to the right at zero. All in all, my $18 Enco
no-name serves better.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Rex the Wrench

I can only speak to dial calipers, as I've never had or used a digital
unit. I use a Mitutoyo for metric work and a Craftsman for regular
stuff. The Mitutoyo is a higher quality unit compared to the Craftsman
but both are accurate and smooth in operation. Both have given many
years of good service and as I try to take good care of them, hopefully
will give many more.

Rex the Wrench

Jim Stewart wrote:
Back when I spent some time working with a real
machinist, he said that the best calipers were
Brown & Sharp. Well, a couple of years ago I
bought a B&S Digit-Cal digital caliper for work.
It feels nice, goes back to zero everytime, but
drives me nuts with it's delay. I figured it's
just me so the other day I bought a B&S dial
caliper for home. I'm disappointed with it's
feel and the pointer is angled about 2 degrees
to the right at zero. All in all, my $18 Enco
no-name serves better.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

michael

Jim Stewart wrote:

Back when I spent some time working with a real
machinist, he said that the best calipers were
Brown & Sharp. Well, a couple of years ago I
bought a B&S Digit-Cal digital caliper for work.
It feels nice, goes back to zero everytime, but
drives me nuts with it's delay. I figured it's
just me so the other day I bought a B&S dial
caliper for home. I'm disappointed with it's
feel and the pointer is angled about 2 degrees
to the right at zero. All in all, my $18 Enco
no-name serves better.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Still have my first 6" Tesa that I got for $39.95. Basically retired now
but still accurate after, uhm, several years.

Have a Mitsu 6" digital that I pretty much use only for the metric
feature.

Have a couple or three Mitsu 6" dials.

Have a couple 6" whatever dials for use when sawing, etc.

Have 1 12" Mitsu dial.

Have 3 Mitsu 8" dials.

My favorites are the 8" dials.

Digitals have batteries to replace occasionally. They only read to 5
tenths. And they got no feel. Which side of that .0005 is it?

Dials can be read to a closer measurment, you can see where the needle
is. Besides, I learned to count turns to check depth differences. Plus I
like the balanced feel of the 8" ones.

mj

Lennie the Lurker

Jim Stewart wrote in message ws.com...

It feels nice, goes back to zero everytime, but
drives me nuts with it's delay. I figured it's
just me so the other day I bought a B&S dial
caliper for home. I'm disappointed with it's
feel and the pointer is angled about 2 degrees
to the right at zero. All in all, my $18 Enco
no-name serves better.

Delay? MY B&S doesn't have any delay. Something needs to be looked
at. Zero point on dial calipers isn't always straight up, it varies a
little, depending on a lot of things, including how you are holding
your tongue. THe feel will improve with use, I've never had a new one
that felt right until I've used it for a while. I have a couple of
the chinese dial calipers, where the needle zero's out moves around
quite a bit, and I'm finding the chinese digital isn't always linear.
My good caliper is a Starrett dial, works well, but is still
relatively new. The old vernier caliper is hard to beat, no
batteries, no dial. I use that one the most.
brownnsharp

I used a Brown and Sharp vernier caliper until I got tired of adding
17 to 75. Then I bought a Mitutoya dial caliper. Then I discovered
Harbor Freight's $19.95 digital calipers. Zero it anywhere, measure
in metric and english, same feel as a good pair of Mitutoya
calipers...Harbor Freight digital measures in my shop now.

BUT.. I used some Brown and Sharp dial calipers at work for a couple
of years. And I have NEVER seen any other brand elses measure with the
silky smoothness of the B&S dial Calipers. Just incredibly excellent
fit and finish. Starrett doesn't come close.

Stephen

"brownnsharp" wrote in message
om...
I used a Brown and Sharp vernier caliper until I got tired of adding
17 to 75. Then I bought a Mitutoya dial caliper. Then I discovered
Harbor Freight's $19.95 digital calipers. Zero it anywhere, measure
in metric and english, same feel as a good pair of Mitutoya
calipers...Harbor Freight digital measures in my shop now.

Vernier Calipers are the simplest and probably the most rugged, the smaller
ones have a 25 division vernier scale and may be hard to read. Larger ones
have 50 division scales and are fairly easy to read until your eyes go bad.
I bought my digital caliper when I could no longer read the vernier without
a magnifying glass. Now I can't even read the digital calipers (that have ½
high digits) without my glasses. I now really appreciate how hard it is for
kids with bad eyesight to learn. I make a lot of mistakes because I can't
see details like I used to. When I am working it is often rather hard to
get my head positioned in just the right spot to bring things into focus.

Scp
Take out slashes and dashes for Email address
-r/./c//o-m

Backlash

I wear progressive lenses, but have discovered that my vision is just right
now to allow me to focus at a 10" distance without even wearing my glasses,
so when doing really close work, I just switch out to regular safety glasses
and stay clear of moving parts.G

RJ

--
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me, instead of you."